oil consumption on an 04 S60R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

oil consumption on an 04 S60R

2000 miles of driving = 1 litre of oil consumed

is this a norm or is my R's engine starting to burn oil? i had a buddy follow me around while at WOT and he says there isn't any smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
      09 xc70 - 06 xc90

www.importsview.com
      visit i-vu on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/167372738327/

If you are not smoking, all is well. Could be the PCV system is getting a bit crusty or the turbo seals are just getting old.

I've got about 106K miles on my 04 and I consume about a quart every 4-5K miles.

I've got about 106K miles on my 04 and I consume about a quart every 4-5K miles.
      Same here.

How many miles on the beast?

Mine is an '04 with 60K Miles on the odo - hardly uses any.
      But a quart every 2K does not sound all that bad.
      2004 S60R / Saphire / 6MT / 18" Pegs / Gobi (My first Volvo)
      Semi-Gearhead-Wannabe

Mine is taking about 1.5 quarts every 4k miles but my PCV system is shot....waiting on parts from IPD to change it. Everything should be good after that
      2005 V70R - 6speed, Manual Magic Blue/Nordkap ------------ Sold

E46 M3 - 6 speed, Jet Black/Black

Quote Originally Posted by StealthyS60R View Post
      If you are not smoking, all is well. Could be the PCV system is getting a bit crusty or the turbo seals are just getting old.

Yup, I used to go through a quart every 4-5k as well. Perfectly normal.

great! thanks for the info gentlemen. i got 85k on the odometer.

been doing a bit of spirited driving lately with the weather getting better here in bc. i am thinking that may be contributing to my gas mileage
      going down drastically and more oil being consumed.
      09 xc70 - 06 xc90

www.importsview.com

1 liter per 2000 miles of driving is a bit much.
      Matt
      http://www.phuzzymotorsports.com - www.facebook.com/phuzzymotorsports
      2006 Volvo S60R - 6MT: FMIC, DP, Autotech Tune
      2012 Volvo XC60 T6 R-Design (Wife)
      1993 S13 - 2JZGTE, PT6262 @ 26psi, HKS 272s, Haltech PS2000, 1000cc, Meth, 4" FMIC

Aggressive driving may increase consumption. At my recent track event I think I burned through almost a half a quart.

oh and i do floor the damn thing because i just love the way it sounds at 3000 + rpm.

btw, no street racing.
      09 xc70 - 06 xc90

www.importsview.com

My 05 burns about the same amount. I usually do about 70-75mph on the highways around where I live and have alot of city driving also and have to add about a liter every 1,500-2,000mi no smoke either. I have about 85,000mi also on the odo.

Quote Originally Posted by ions View Post
      My 05 burns about the same amount. I usually do about 70-75mph on the highways around where I live and have alot of city driving also and have to add about a liter every 1,500-2,000mi no smoke either. I have about 85,000mi also on the odo.
      I am similar. Im at 69k and about 1k - 1.kk miles after my last two oil changes I had the message low oil. It does not look like I am leaking so I have no clue whats going on. I have been avoiding the dealer bc I am broke.
      2005 S60R, 6sp MT, Black Sapph w Gobi, PC Mirror Black 18's, Prem Sound, Aero Kit

I'm the same as everyone else. I'm at 93k miles and probably go through maybe a full quart, usually less, in between a 3k-5k oil change. No smoke but I definitely drive the car hard pretty often.
      '04 S60R
      GT | Titanium Grey | Atacama
      Member of the Volvo High Mileage Club

Mine doesn't use a drop between changes, and I'm willing to put money down that I'm at least on the top 5 list of people who drive the piss out of their Rs. That being said, I wouldn't worry about ~1QT consumption. But 1L? Hmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowR View Post
      Mine doesn't use a drop between changes, and I'm willing to put money down that I'm at least on the top 5 list of people who drive the piss out of their Rs. That being said, I wouldn't worry about ~1QT consumption. But 1L? Hmmmmmm.
      haha! 1 US quart is equal to .94 litres.
      09 xc70 - 06 xc90

www.importsview.com

My 04 w/106K will use 1/2 quart maybe 3/4 if I autocross over the 7500 miles oil change intervals.
      - Ara

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow."

2004 SR_MT_Metalic Silver_Nordkap_17" Pegs_Stock_169K

Mine goes through a bit less than a quart between oil changes which lately have been 5-6K mile intervals. No track days in those intervals lately, but lots of daily spirited driving. 77K miles total.
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats, IPD Rear Sway Bar || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, IPD Rear Sway Bar

1/4 quart between oil changes after a pretty agressive interval (no track days)

~4000-4500 miles between oil changes,it's a mix city/hwy

'05 SR ~75k miles. if I don't drive so much in boost, no noticeable loss.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, monitor it and make sure it doesn't get worse, if you happen to have an oil change interval where you don't hammer on it, see if it burns less. You could look around the turbo lines etc to make sure you don't have anything leaking
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Quote Originally Posted by atacamaR View Post
      if you happen to have an oil change interval where you don't hammer on it,
      Huh? is this even possible? 4 to 5 k without giving it the business at least a few times...........
      totally stock.. honest

That would be like trying to go for a year without sex for me, it isn't going to happen, lol.

hahaha, agreed-maybe i should read what i type...

meant hammer on it all the time (entire interval)...
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

thanks again for the info gentlemen!

oh and yah, it is almost automatic for me to jam on that gas pedal when i see an opening.
      09 xc70 - 06 xc90

www.importsview.com

much more oil burn on mine

Haven't posted in a while since my work filters take about a minute to update a single page.

Anyway, I am burning through a quart of oil every 1k miles and I can't figure out why. It started out once every 4k miles and then it increased to 2 times every 4k miles and now after about 6 months I am at 4 times every 4k miles. I did a blackstone analysis and they say that my oil is great and can go for 9k miles oil change intervals.

Anyone have any ideas of what to check? I have 89k on my 05 R and I don't drive it hard at all...no track days and I drive 75/25 highway/city. I use 0wt30 Amsoil Signature oil.

I noticed people talking about the PCV. If this is the issue then should I just get the oil separator trap or the whole kit? Thanks!
      Last edited by pie_ya; 08-02-2010 at 08:56 PM.

Are you certain there are no leaks?
      totally stock.. honest

Yes, no leaks on the ground or underneath the car. It does blow some buildup out the exhaust but I don't step on it that often.

My low oil light just came on again after 700-1000 miles. Can anyone help me out? I am not sure how to figure out where to start looking but I know something must be done. I checked my codes and I am getting CCM 0020 and CCM 0063. I believe they are unrelated but can a good mechanic even figure out what is going on? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pie_ya View Post
      My low oil light just came on again after 700-1000 miles. Can anyone help me out? I am not sure how to figure out where to start looking but I know something must be done. I checked my codes and I am getting CCM 0020 and CCM 0063. I believe they are unrelated but can a good mechanic even figure out what is going on? Thanks
      Try pulling the oil dipstick out while the car is running. There should be a mild suction from the dipstick hole. If there is air blowing out of the dipstick hole then your PCV system isn't working. You can easily test this by putting a rubber/latex glove over the dipstick hole. If it sucks in a little bit, you're fine. If it inflates, your PCV is clogged somewhere. However, a clogged PCV will usually result in blowing out one of your engine seals, usually you'll first notice leaking from the valve cover and/or rear main seal.

If the exterior of your block is totally clean, i.e. no leaking seals that you can see, and your PCV seems to be working properly, then I would start to suspect that either your rings are worn or stuck with sludge/carbon and/or your turbo seals are leaking. I have not done this myself, but I have read a number of success stories (DISCLAIMER: not on this forum, and not on volvos) of people unsticking rings by running Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) in their motor oil for the last 1000 miles of their oil change interval. You could try topping up your motor oil with a quart of MMO and see if that improves your oil consumption. It may have no affect, but MMO is cheap (less than $4 at Walmart) and I haven't seen it be a problem on the used oil analyses that I've seen that have included it. However, as a precaution I would try to minimize my time in max. boost while running the MMO.

Cheers,

Jeff
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

Thanks Jeff. I really appreciate the thoughts. I will try the dipstick test and if that passes then I will have my local shop take a look to see if I am having a problem with my rings or turbo seals. I also do an amsoil engine flush every once in a while so I will do that too on my next oil change.

Thanks again for the response. I will post back when I get this figured out.

one other way to see if you have compression trouble is to start your engine, let idle for a few minutes and then pull the oil dipstick. if you see smoke coming out of the the dipstick tube then the engine has
      excessive crankcase pressure which is indicative of compression issues. rings, pistons or cylinder wall damage could be your culprits. i hope it's none of these. g'luck.

then of course there is the surefire way of having a compression test and better yet a leakdown test done on all 5 cylinders to determine why you are losing or burning oil.
      09 xc70 - 06 xc90

www.importsview.com

Do you fill up with enough oil every oil change?... I've made that mistake before lol.
      '04 S60R
      GT | Titanium Grey | Atacama
      Member of the Volvo High Mileage Club

OK, I did the dipstick test and I see mild suction using a balloon. I also don't see any smoke coming out of the dipstick hole after a few minutes of idling. I am still thinking that I have turbo seal issues or valve stem issues.

I remember now from previous driving that I would see smoke coming out the exhaust and I always thought it was just carbon build up in the exhaust but it would make sense to me that the turbo seals are leaking and dumping the oil into the exhaust (and not the oil catch separator) and then when I step on it it gets burned up. I see this http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60/Engi...4-392-510-666/ from Ipd. Would this seal the turbo if it is leaking?

Thanks

The other thing I wanted to ask is a leaky turbo seal capable enough to dump about a quart of oil every 1k miles into the exhaust? I do see some oil crusted under the valve cover so it could be the valve stem seal. I will take the car to my local indie and have them look at it.

The other thing I wanted to ask is a leaky turbo seal capable enough to dump about a quart of oil every 1k miles into the exhaust? I do see some oil crusted under the valve cover so it could be the valve stem seal. I will take the car to my local indie and have them look at it.
      Any answer? Would bad turbo seals cause a lot of oil to be dumped?

Nothing yet! This summer is when I plan on resolving this issue. I am either planning on doing some tests and rebuilding my engine based on the results or having someone make me a bulletproof engine with an upgraded turbo, etc.

I did replace the turbo once since this thread but I am now down to 600-700 miles every quart -- and that is with a 40 weight synthetic oil. They did notice oil passing through the turbo but not much else.

Thanks for asking.

Nothing yet! This summer is when I plan on resolving this issue. I am either planning on doing some tests and rebuilding my engine based on the results or having someone make me a bulletproof engine with an upgraded turbo, etc.

I did replace the turbo once since this thread but I am now down to 600-700 miles every quart -- and that is with a 40 weight synthetic oil. They did notice oil passing through the turbo but not much else.

Thanks for asking.
      I'm in the same boat man. I was driving up to springs fro pueblo and my low oil light came on. Hit Fountain and got a quart from the 7/11 and it was only .5qt low. I took a look and it looks like turbo seals are bad. That may be it.. I did the dip stick test for the pcv and it seemed to have good suction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast