E-brakes, you must change!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

E-brakes, you must change

This past weekend I arranged to meet up with a buddy in Maine and do some work to the R on his lift. Springs, sways, tires and some other assorted goodies. While I had the time, e-brakes were first on the to do list.

I already knew what it would look like under there but hopefully my pictures will motivate some people to do this ASAP.

Not catastrophic, but considering the stories I have heard it was an accident waiting to happen. First pad de-laminated just from removing passenger side rotor. Other 2 pads were okay until I showed my friend what happens from just giving them a quick 2ft drop test...
      Last edited by Fitzy; 07-12-2010 at 08:13 AM.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

2006 Ti SR 6MT - Scrapped by CMOD_R.

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.

I wish I took pics of mine before I tossed em, but mine were the same! =/
      2004 Volvo S60R - Automatic Transmission - Matte Black / Nordkap "TOOSWEDE"
      Stainless Steel Brake Lines, IPD Trac-Spec Sway Bars (Front & Rear), QBM Strut Bar Conversion, EuroSport Tuning Stainless Steel CatBack Exhaust, IPD Heavy Duty Engine Mount, IPD Heavy Duty Transmission Mount
      My Favorite Mod: Dual Rear Fogs!

ugh, i really really need to do mine... i've been putting it off for quite some time. maybe when i'm in that area putting my springs in.--> might be the motivation i need.
      '05mt blk/atacama SR with a few mods
      '02 v.7 sti wagon-the winter beater
      '02 wrx stage 2 rebuild thread -sold
      "I mostly like to street race in school zones, simply because they show your trap speed on the digital display."-BroCo

Ah Yes, the classic Volvo e-brake scenario, at least for the last 35 years that I am aware of, (had the same issue on my 1975 245!)

In addition to cleaning it all up, and appying some WD-40 or similar on the backing plate, I would recommend replacing the hold down springs at a minimum. They can be a real joy to remove at times, and get fatigued in the removal process.

It could have been worse. Here's what happens doing about 40 MPH and it delaminates....

Last edited by Skinnyfish; 07-12-2010 at 11:20 AM.
      04 V70R Ti/Gobi GT "EuroTrucksteR"

i plan to change my rotors and pads shortly. can i get away without changing the ebrake or will it fall apart in the process? (sorry if this is threadjacking)
      2004 S60R IPD TCV, K&N, R Kelly CAI, BSR cat-back and Stage 1 tune, IPD strut tower brace, IPD track spec sways, Stoptech rotors
      Car Pics

1982 245DL ...broken...

Im thinking your chances are 50/50 since you have an 04' and you live in NY. Here I made it easy for you, lol.

http://www.fcpgroton.com/product-exe...category_id/45

2008 C30 2.0 6MT

thanks you i just read the other ebrake thread and came to the same conclusion. i dont want exploding brakes.
      2004 S60R IPD TCV, K&N, R Kelly CAI, BSR cat-back and Stage 1 tune, IPD strut tower brace, IPD track spec sways, Stoptech rotors
      Car Pics

1982 245DL ...broken...

Former Advertiser
      +1

I have a box sitting in my place with the e-brake shoes for my car that I really need to get in already. After seeing this, I should do this ASAP.

Yeah, it's not 'if' they will deliminate it's 'when'. Mine went last summer (just over three years old with approx 50K KM) luckily it was while parked and so I got toed to Volvo and got it all fixed under warranty.

Only time I have ever used my E-Brake is when I park on a hill. Knock on Wood
      06 S60R 6MT Sonicama, Elevate Exhaust, Phmic, iPD Stg II,Custom DP w/race cat, EST Ultra Flow Intake, Elevate Sways, SNABB Intake Pipe, SS DEM mod, BT, NAV, Miv w/X1

I make sure I have an extra car to drive before I do the rear rotors on ANY of my Volvos... I wish I were kidding, see my sig.
      2006 XC70, White/(Atacama) / FOR SALE: 1998 S70 TR-SE, AT, Silver/Charcoal, 101K, Modded (Canadian Car, eh?)
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R
      Looking for a new TV? Visit The High Definition Store or email me!

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Im thinking your chances are 50/50 since you have an 04' and you live in NY. Here I made it easy for you, lol.

wow, thank you! i was wanting look at mine sometime soon because i have a random Poping sound sometimes after i release the ebrake(but very rare) and most people say its this. Since you gave me the easy links I might as well order them and just replace them.
      2004 S60R: Rica Stage II Tune, Phuzzy Motorsports 3" Downpipe & FMIC Kit, SVR TRUE 3" exhaust with EVOLVE tip, Snabb intake, R-Kelly Mod, 18x8.5" EVOLVE H5 wheels... Wish we could have images as Sigs!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Empyrials View Post
      wow, thank you! i was wanting look at mine sometime soon because i have a random Poping sound sometimes after i release the ebrake(but very rare) and most people say its this. Since you gave me the easy links I might as well order them and just replace them.
      When you pop the rotors off I would also check out the drum portion inside the rotor to see if it is really worn or not. That popping is definitely the e-brake sticking but if you have some extreme wear in there the pad could be getting stuck in its own groove.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

My shoes "delaminated" as well even though I NEVER use e-brake.

Former Advertiser
      Quote Originally Posted by Denis View Post
      My shoes "delaminated" as well even though I NEVER use e-brake.
      It does not matter if you use it or not, they will come apart. It is only a matter of when.

What happens when they delaminate? (what does that mean) Is there a permanent fix to this?
      1999 V70 T5 [4AT Pewter Silver Metallic / Oak] iPD 25mm sway bars, Koni oranges, Snabb turbo inlet tube, ARD TCV, beltronics sti-r

2006 S60 R [6GT Sonic Blue / Nordkap] dead :c

The shoe base and the shoe material are not the same and require a bonding process to hold them together...while it is strong this method does not last forever. De-lamination basically means something can separate and become un-bonded, which usually requires time and many heating cycles.

The only real fix for something like this is preventive maintenance to correct this problem.

Last edited by Fitzy; 09-22-2010 at 09:59 AM.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

I have 54k mi. So This is something I need to do every x miles? When should I start.
      1999 V70 T5 [4AT Pewter Silver Metallic / Oak] iPD 25mm sway bars, Koni oranges, Snabb turbo inlet tube, ARD TCV, beltronics sti-r

2006 S60 R [6GT Sonic Blue / Nordkap] dead :c

This past weekend I arranged to meet up with a buddy in Maine and do some work to the R on his lift. Springs, sways, tires and some other assorted goodies. While I had the time, e-brakes were first on the to do list.

I already knew what it would look like under there but hopefully my pictures will motivate some people to do this ASAP.

Not catastrophic, but considering the stories I have heard it was an accident waiting to happen. First pad de-laminated just from removing passenger side rotor. Other 2 pads were okay until I showed my friend what happens from just giving them a quick 2ft drop test...
      What year was your friends R? How many miles are on the car? Was the car a MT or GT?

Thanks for the post.

The pictures I posted of my car were at like 80K but iirc I wanted to do them at 60K. Seeing as you are in Texas (lotsa heat) it wouldn't hurt to take off one of the rear rotors off and give them an inspection.

From now on I will be replacing on my car and my girlfriends 98 VR every 60K/3 yrs. Her car had 135K in original pads and 2 of the 4 pads were completely disintegrated, I said a little prayer after taking the rotor off. The volvo gods like her car
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Blessyouboys View Post
      What year was your friends R? How many miles are on the car? Was the car a MT or GT?

Thanks for the post.
      That was his lift, my car. About 80K.
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnyfish View Post
      It could have been worse. Here's what happens doing about 40 MPH and it delaminates....

were is your sfaty stand..? or do you want to be branded DA of the year..?

Fitzy- what is a E-Brake.....? Like emegerancy brake...? we dont have them any more its called a PARKING brake hahahahaha just taught id let you in on some atuomotive terms.
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by VolvokidS60R View Post
      were is your sfaty stand..? or do you want to be branded DA of the year..?
      Bend over and I'll show you...........

It's under the rear, can't see it from that pic.
      04 V70R Ti/Gobi GT "EuroTrucksteR"

Quote Originally Posted by Skinnyfish View Post
      Bend over and I'll show you...........

It's under the rear, can't see it from that pic.
      lol good you were about to thet he DA award.
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

E-Brake shoe delamination: it's "WHEN not IF..."

I had mine apart, tossed the "OK" looking shoes on the bench and...pop, off comes the lining off the shoe; 2 of 4 shoes failed the "toss test"...

I was at 85k or so...MT, and I use the e-brake daily.
      Volvoracer
      *Designer of the SNABB M66 Short Shifter*
      '05 VR Red/Atacama/M66 (1 of 4 in US), many mods, 167k, Brembo, 6-speed
      '05 Ducati 800SuperSport Yellow, Brembo, 6-speed
      '67 1800S S.C.C.A. racecar under restoration

Quote Originally Posted by volvoracer View Post
      E-Brake shoe delamination: it's "WHEN not IF..."

I had mine apart, tossed the "OK" looking shoes on the bench and...pop, off comes the lining off the shoe; 2 of 4 shoes failed the "toss test"...

I was at 85k or so...MT, and I use the PARKING-brake daily.
      let me fix that

Nick like I said in a previous thread...

Okay Nick I have a suggston for u so that everyone knoes from now on...in your sig just put in BIG giant letters:

IM A VOLVO TECH, YOUR DUMB I AM NOT.
      OR

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinBob View Post
      How about: "I give you golden advice, and all I get are golden showers"
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

LOL you too funny!!!!
      Hows my TME treating you bro..?

Quote Originally Posted by VolvokidS60R View Post
      LOL you too funny!!!!
      Hows my TME treating you bro..?
      Still a little leaky even after welding the flange 3/4 of the way around to seal it and grinding the sh1t out of it to make it flush, plus throw in 2 exhaust gaskets...
      2008 C30 2.0 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by staufinc View Post
      Is there a permanent fix to this?
      Yep. Delete the e-brake.

I'm going to have the car up on ramps this weekend to change the oil. It's my first car and I'm not that mechanically inclined, but would I be able to easily/safely check the e-brake at that time? I get a grinding sound sometimes when I put the e-brake on and this thread has me nervous.

Is this something I should do myself or one of those cases where I should take it to the shop? It's my only car so I can't really afford to have it out of commission.

Thanks.

If I delete the e--brake do i have to worry about the fact thats it's missing effect any other part?
      or is it a simple delete?

Wow, I have to admit I had no idea that was something I had to worry about...thanks for the heads up....
      04 S60R Black /Nordkap/MT/Stage 3 HiltonTuning /Pipercross/Snabb/RKelly CAI/TME DP&Exhaust/Eibachs/iPD Track Sways HD Coilpacks Strut Bar Conv. Boost Gauge/AEM H2OMeth /56mm Hybrid Turbo/Forge CBV/GSX TODD FMIC

Still a little leaky even after welding the flange 3/4 of the way around to seal it and grinding the sh1t out of it to make it flush, plus throw in 2 exhaust gaskets...
      Have you checked the straght pipe part you know the Res. delete welds..?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast