SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

E-brakes, you must change!

16K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  chinaonnitrous1 
#1 · (Edited)
E-brakes, you must change

This past weekend I arranged to meet up with a buddy in Maine and do some work to the R on his lift. Springs, sways, tires and some other assorted goodies. While I had the time, e-brakes were first on the to do list.

I already knew what it would look like under there but hopefully my pictures will motivate some people to do this ASAP.

Not catastrophic, but considering the stories I have heard it was an accident waiting to happen. First pad de-laminated just from removing passenger side rotor. Other 2 pads were okay until I showed my friend what happens from just giving them a quick 2ft drop test...

See less See more
#2 ·
I wish I took pics of mine before I tossed em, but mine were the same! =/

#3 ·
ugh, i really really need to do mine... i've been putting it off for quite some time. maybe when i'm in that area putting my springs in.--> might be the motivation i need.

#4 ·
Ah Yes, the classic Volvo e-brake scenario, at least for the last 35 years that I am aware of, (had the same issue on my 1975 245!)

In addition to cleaning it all up, and appying some WD-40 or similar on the backing plate, I would recommend replacing the hold down springs at a minimum. They can be a real joy to remove at times, and get fatigued in the removal process.

#23 ·
were is your sfaty stand..? or do you want to be branded DA of the year..?

Fitzy- what is a E-Brake.....? Like emegerancy brake...? we dont have them any more its called a PARKING brake hahahahaha ;) just taught id let you in on some atuomotive terms.

#6 ·
i plan to change my rotors and pads shortly. can i get away without changing the ebrake or will it fall apart in the process? (sorry if this is threadjacking)

#7 ·
#13 ·
wow, thank you! i was wanting look at mine sometime soon because i have a random Poping sound sometimes after i release the ebrake(but very rare) and most people say its this. Since you gave me the easy links I might as well order them and just replace them.

#10 ·
Yeah, it's not 'if' they will deliminate it's 'when'. Mine went last summer (just over three years old with approx 50K KM) luckily it was while parked and so I got toed to Volvo and got it all fixed under warranty.

#11 ·
Only time I have ever used my E-Brake is when I park on a hill. Knock on Wood :)

#18 · (Edited)
The shoe base and the shoe material are not the same and require a bonding process to hold them together...while it is strong this method does not last forever. De-lamination basically means something can separate and become un-bonded, which usually requires time and many heating cycles.

The only real fix for something like this is preventive maintenance to correct this problem.

#20 ·
This past weekend I arranged to meet up with a buddy in Maine and do some work to the R on his lift. Springs, sways, tires and some other assorted goodies. While I had the time, e-brakes were first on the to do list.

I already knew what it would look like under there but hopefully my pictures will motivate some people to do this ASAP.

Not catastrophic, but considering the stories I have heard it was an accident waiting to happen. First pad de-laminated just from removing passenger side rotor. Other 2 pads were okay until I showed my friend what happens from just giving them a quick 2ft drop test...
What year was your friends R? How many miles are on the car? Was the car a MT or GT?

Thanks for the post.

#21 ·
The pictures I posted of my car were at like 80K but iirc I wanted to do them at 60K. Seeing as you are in Texas (lotsa heat) it wouldn't hurt to take off one of the rear rotors off and give them an inspection.

From now on I will be replacing on my car and my girlfriends 98 VR every 60K/3 yrs. Her car had 135K in original pads and 2 of the 4 pads were completely disintegrated, I said a little prayer after taking the rotor off. The volvo gods like her car :p

#26 ·
E-Brake shoe delamination: it's "WHEN not IF..."

I had mine apart, tossed the "OK" looking shoes on the bench and...pop, off comes the lining off the shoe; 2 of 4 shoes failed the "toss test"...

I was at 85k or so...MT, and I use the e-brake daily.

#27 ·
E-Brake shoe delamination: it's "WHEN not IF..."

I had mine apart, tossed the "OK" looking shoes on the bench and...pop, off comes the lining off the shoe; 2 of 4 shoes failed the "toss test"...

I was at 85k or so...MT, and I use the PARKING-brake daily.
let me fix that

#28 ·
Nick like I said in a previous thread...

Okay Nick I have a suggston for u so that everyone knoes from now on...in your sig just put in BIG giant letters:

IM A VOLVO TECH, YOUR DUMB I AM NOT.
OR

How about: "I give you golden advice, and all I get are golden showers" :p

#29 ·
LOL you too funny!!!!
Hows my TME treating you bro..?

#30 ·
Still a little leaky even after welding the flange 3/4 of the way around to seal it and grinding the sh1t out of it to make it flush, plus throw in 2 exhaust gaskets...

#32 ·
I'm going to have the car up on ramps this weekend to change the oil. It's my first car and I'm not that mechanically inclined, but would I be able to easily/safely check the e-brake at that time? I get a grinding sound sometimes when I put the e-brake on and this thread has me nervous.

Is this something I should do myself or one of those cases where I should take it to the shop? It's my only car so I can't really afford to have it out of commission.

Thanks.

#34 ·
Wow, I have to admit I had no idea that was something I had to worry about...thanks for the heads up....

#36 ·
I had my rear brake pads replaced at a dealer last summer (about 60K miles) - is this something they check given the common/known issue even if I didn't ask them to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.