Swedespeed First Drive: 2011 Volvo C70 T5 Coupe-Cabriolet
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Swedespeed First Drive: 2011 Volvo C70 T5 Coupe-Cabriolet

The C70 has been around for almost 14 years and now, with version 2.5, itís still a very nice, honest little cruiser. And if you arenít a fan of the front end, remember ó you canít see the headlights from the driverís seat...

FULL STORY

Nice article! I like the new front end look, myself, although I think the Volvo badge in the grill should have been left smaller (like the previous years). I don't have a problem with the rear end refreshening, either, although I think I still prefer the look of my 2007 C70 (I like the round brake and tail lights, inset inside the piano-shaped cluster. That said, having some LEDs is a nice improvement.

My biggest beef with my 2007 C70 is the amount of little creaks and small rattles when driving over rough pavement. I've had the TSB applied that dealt with more noticeable rattles in the roof mechanism (really the cables/wired that pull the headliner taut, I think), but even after this, there are a lot of little noises with the top up. It MIGHT be that putting some form of treatment on the rubber seals and seams between the roof pieces and side windows, etc., would make some of these little noises go away. And they're not there when the top is down. (On the plus side, the Dynaudio system is more than capable of masking any little noises!) The Sovereign hides weren't available in 2007, not even as an option, but my "regular grade" leather interior has been holding up nicely, and I still like the clean, no-frills interior design, even if it is basically the S40 interior.

I agree - a high performance 'vert is just silly. The C70 looks great but the interior dash could have benefited from a more substantial makeover during the refresh.
      Dave in VA

2012 XC70 T6, AWD
      2010 SAAB 9-5 Aero 2.8T, XWD

You're totally right. Unfortunately even this car with just 4000 miles on it was already creaking over rough pavement. But that just means you should be driving more with the top down!

There are bulletins for dealers to address that

My creaks from either the roof cables or somewhere on the underbody, can't really tell, are still there when going over bumps and rough pavement. But after 2+ years, somehow I've gotten so used to them that I no longer really hear them. And it's only apparent when the top is up. Yes, bless the wonderful Dynaudio system for masking it all! (And old age, which has helped lessen all noises...ugh!) Still love the entire sleek design inside and out. Very few C70s on Staten Island, and none like mine that I've seen. I'm sure I'm the only one who purchased 3000 miles away sight unseen too!

So far, the roof fault has been fixed and the TOP UNLOCKED message has not appeared in the MFI. However, oddly my Sirius radio has more "acquiring signal" messages than ever before since the rerouting of the wiring to fix the rooftop.

Stu, did you have to go all the way to NJ for this? You should have called me as I have the same car here (albeit not in Flamenco Red).
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2013 Volvo C70, Black/off-Black Sovereign Leather[/b], Climate package/Premier Plus package/Dynamic package w/ 18" DRACO wheels

Quote Originally Posted by stu@swedespeed View Post
      You're totally right. Unfortunately even this car with just 4000 miles on it was already creaking over rough pavement. But that just means you should be driving more with the top down!

Hmm...no creaks on mine (3,700 miles)
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2013 Volvo C70, Black/off-Black Sovereign Leather[/b], Climate package/Premier Plus package/Dynamic package w/ 18" DRACO wheels

Quote Originally Posted by BlackC70 View Post
      Nice article! I like the new front end look, myself, although I think the Volvo badge in the grill should have been left smaller (like the previous years). I don't have a problem with the rear end refreshening, either, although I think I still prefer the look of my 2007 C70 (I like the round brake and tail lights, inset inside the piano-shaped cluster. That said, having some LEDs is a nice improvement.
      This is totally unscientific but the C70 I have been riving is getting a lot of double looks especially (are you seated for this?) from...teenagers and men in their 30s and 40s! Previous C70s (MY06 to MY07) also garnered some looks but not at the rate and with the intensity that this one is...

I think the nose is very dramatic and the wheels are the icing on the cake (18" MIDIR...arguably one of two most beautiful wheels that Volvo has produced; the other being the 18" ODYSSEUS found in MY10 S80 T6s).