2008 C70 "Passenger Door Open" warning
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Exclamation 2008 C70 "Passenger Door Open" warning

Over the past few weeks (after I had my $300 15K Service at Scarrier) - Tomkat (my 2008 C70 MT) has thrown out an intermittent "Passenger Door Open" warning while I've been driving. I've actually had to reach over and close the door each time (it's 'unlatched' )....a couple of times while Mrs. Tomkat was in the passenger seat!

I called Scarrier - the Service Advisor asked that I drive it in the next time it happens - no way Jose...it's a safety issue.

I asked if these warnings would show up on a fault code warning...Scarrier said no - Sandberg said yes. I guess you know who I'll be taking it to.

I also asked if there have been any other TSB's or recalls for this problem and was told that there weren't any service or safety advisories for this problem on any Volvo model. I also inquired if a problem was found (either sensor or a fault in the system) if this would be covered under warranty - as this is a definite safety issue.

Scarrier told me that they'd have to diagnose the problem first (see above advice to drive it in while the doors unlatched and the warning is lit...or refer to 'intermittent nature = "Could Not Duplicate")- then determine if warranty claim could be filed.

I changed the user programming to "Auto Lock All Doors" hoping that this would correct the problem - but it's come back twice since I changed the user programming.

So - Fellow Swedespeeders - any sage advice from the peanut gallery? Anyone else experience this problem? Was Irbrenda's (?) "roof unlatched" warning ever resolved? Any similar electrical warning or fault problem(s)?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cool

I cannot help you with your warning message.......but yes, after 3 visits, they finally fixed my "Top is Unlocked" issue.

Visit #1: they said it was a TSB (technical service bulletin) and after sending me home in a loaner, I returned the same day, only to have the message return the next day. ( I live in Staten Island, NY and go to NJ for service, not far but it's certainly not close to home. )

Visit #2: Sent me home in a loaner, kept my car for another day and said they definitely got it right this time. It was a sensor. Each time I got back in to drive, I felt that "Top is Unlocked" message ready to return, and I was right....3 days later.

Visit #3: I came armed with information that this was a problem in 2007 and was corrected in the 08's. I guess mine was an exception. They had to reroute the harness wiring in the trunk as mine was too near the Sirius module and it was shorting out the rooftop.
      Kept my car for 4 days and asked if they could put 100 miles on my car!!!!!!! I flipped out and said no. I don't put 100 miles on in a month! I think they wanted to go cruising around in it over the weekend!

However, rerouting of the wiring solved THAT problem! However, now my Sirius radio is not right. I am getting frequent "Acquiring Signal" messages since the repair. I give up.

Hope you get your issue resolved. I'll probably get your issue next as I got another forum member's "Top is Unlocked" message right after I told him I didn't have his issue yet!

I've had a couple of electrical "gremlins" issues with my 2007 C70. I originally had some intermittent cases of "no cranking" when trying to start the car, accompanies by messages regarding the "immobilizer". This was corrected by replacing some "starter module", which apparently has some intelligence in it (i.e., it's not just a plain starter relay).

Following this, or perhaps in parallel, we thought that the driver window was sometimes not rising up the 1/2 inch that it does after closing the door (following the 1/2 inch lowering that happens when you open the door).

A month or two after that, the car battery drained overnight, for no apparent reason (we saw no evidence of anything like an interior light being left on, or anything like that).

The car was jumped, and things have seen normal after that. But it was also true that immediately after jumping (the battery had been totally dead), the window auto-up/down and the "all windows up/down" functions didn't work right for a while. I THINK this is due to the fact that the window control module needs to "relearn" the window up and down positions, before the auto up/down functions can work properly. Possibly the same sort of "relearning" issue affected the all windows up/down function as well. Because after using all of the window buttons manually for a while, then the more automated functions started working again.

I've never experienced your symptom, though. My reason for chiming in was to suggest that you might want to pay attention to whether the window on the passenger side is automatically dropping the 1/2 inch whenever you open that door, and also raising the 1/2 inch when you close it. Also, when the "door open" warning comes up, has the window also dropped down the 1/2 inch? That bit of symptom noticing may help in determining if the issue is with the door switch itself, or some other form of "intelligent module" flakiness.

One thing that is becoming apparent to me is that these cars have way too many intelligent modules for their own good!

As an aside, if your passenger door isn't actually opening (but the display just says it is), then I wouldn't feel too bad about driving the car to the dealer. And whatever the issue turns out to be, the repair should be fully covered under warranty.

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BlackC70 View Post

As an aside, if your passenger door isn't actually opening (but the display just says it is), then I wouldn't feel too bad about driving the car to the dealer. And whatever the issue turns out to be, the repair should be fully covered under warranty.
      I would also say if the passenger door isn't actually opening, it's safe to drive. It can't be as embarrassing as my situation was when I got the "Top is Unlocked" message.....the beeping alarms go off when you get that message and my top was down at the time. Had to drive thru the streets, highways, and over the bridge sounding like an Emergency vehicle!!!!

Update "Passenger Door Open" warning while driving

Happened again today while I was 5 minutes from Scarrier ...so popped in to have 'em take a peek.

Of course - they couldn't duplicate the problem...though I drove it right to their Service Dept with the warning 'blaring' and engine running.

After 1/2 hour of diagnosis, their Master Tech's decision was to replace the offending passenger door latch. Not in stock - so now looking at next week to bring Tomkat in for the (hopeful) fix.

Service Advisor offered a free loaner til fixed...and would be covered under warranty...so that's a good thing.

Since it's beautiful in Seattle this time of year - and this is a very intermittent problem...I'd rather drive my C70 with the top down than the usual POS Dodge Caliber loaner.

Will post after latch replacement...IF that doesn't fix the problem. Thanks for the roof update irbrenda! Hope my issue isn't contagious.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by irbrenda View Post
      ....the beeping alarms go off when you get that message and my top was down at the time. Had to drive thru the streets, highways, and over the bridge sounding like an Emergency vehicle!!!!
      Somehow - Beeping Tomkat sounds so much better than Beeping irbrenda!

Windows and all other electrical items working as advertised, BlackC70. Thanks for the input and advice.

UPDATE "Passenger Door Open" warning while driving

Warning binged with top down, windows down on a sunny day last Tuesday. I was close by Sandberg - so popped in and had 'em take a look at it. They adjusted the door latch as much as they could and were going to check with their Factory Service Advisor on TSB's etc.

No warning after latch adjustment...but the weather hasn't been that great to take down the top and windows either.

Just happened to be there when the Naughty Volvo Tour dropped in. The new S60 is a nice looking car. My only wish is that the V60 would be coming to America. Oh well.

Anyway - Factory Rep ordered a new latch...so will be installed tomorrow. David at Sandberg Volvo ROCKS! (Insert Beer Mug or Martini Glass Smiley here)

Quote Originally Posted by tomkat73 View Post
      Warning binged with top down, windows down on a sunny day last Tuesday. I was close by Sandberg - so popped in and had 'em take a look at it. They adjusted the door latch as much as they could and were going to check with their Factory Service Advisor on TSB's etc.

No warning after latch adjustment...but the weather hasn't been that great to take down the top and windows either.

Just happened to be there when the Naughty Volvo Tour dropped in. The new S60 is a nice looking car. My only wish is that the V60 would be coming to America. Oh well.

Anyway - Factory Rep ordered a new latch...so will be installed tomorrow. David at Sandberg Volvo ROCKS! (Insert Beer Mug or Martini Glass Smiley here)
      Resurrecting an old thread, but wondering if replacing the door latch did the trick. I'm also getting this issue, but on the driver's side door. Random "Driver's Door Open" warning, fixed by opening and closing door. Definitely a bit disturbing. BTW, I replaced the battery about 9 months ago so I don't think that's it.
      regtor
      2011 C70 T5 polestar | electric silver metallic/cranberry
      dynamic, multimedia, climate & convenience packages
      blis, sport pedals, oem front strut bar, elevate rear sway bar, mods4cars smart top, volvotech vbb4 rear camera

12. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements