remove resonator to fix rain squeal?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Red face remove resonator to fix rain squeal?

I get the rain squeal, exhaust/drive shaft rub, like crazy in my 05R. I have read on other threads about people removing the resonator to allow more space between them which will not allow them to rub anymore thus stopping the noise. i currently have that t strap looking bracket that everyone says is terrible on my vehicle. i read that the "ultimate fix" is to remove the resonator. I would appreciate it if anyone who has actually done this could answer a couple of questions please:

does this always work and is the rain squeal definitely gone for good?

is my R going to sound like a darn motorboat?

if i remove the resonator is it a good idea to remove that strap as i have already dinged it pretty hard already and will there still be no rain squeal?

I appreciate the advice.

It will fix the rain squeal 100%.

When I removed my res, it was just a hair louder, it actually sounds better if you ask me

Yes remove all the brackets of death.

Make sure the straight pipe is welded and not bolted together with exhaust U-Clamps
      2005 Volvo s60r Black Saphire/Nordkap MT, PhMIC, iPd DP, Heico Exhaust, Volutions, Trak Spec F&R Sways, IPD Stage 2, R Kelly Intake , SS Brake Lines, HD Coils, Viva forge CBV, R Boost Gauge , Strut Brace, GROM Aux Input, CB Radio....
      2001 BMW 530i Alphine White
      2004 Volvo s60r 6MT Black Sapphire/ Nordcap Sold and Missed 11/20/09

I removed mine for the same reason and have not had the squeal since.
      I have the GT and it does not sound bad without the resonator. I actually like it better.
      I did remove the strap and replaced it with a stainless steel cable, just in case.

Definitely remove the resonator and the bracket at the same time ASAP. Any Lou's Exhaust or even a Meineke should be able to handle the job ($75 MAX). Also when you get it done make sure to check out your driveshaft for any excessive wear, I had never heard rain squeal in my car but there was still a ring around the shaft. If you are hearing that much noise you might have some serious wear going on down there.

As far as the sound goes, yes it will sound like a boat...a speedboat!! But seriously think of your current exhaust note and bump it up a few notches. Slightly more noticeable while on the throttle and definitely more noticeable on a cold start. I loved the sound without the res. so much that my TME exhaust doesn't have it either.

The consensus around here is that the strap still attached to your car will eventually cause a lot of damage to your caR.

Where abouts are you located btw? You should add that into your information.
      2006 Ti SR 6MT - ...

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Our R View Post
      I removed mine for the same reason and have not had the squeal since.
      I have the GT and it does not sound bad without the resonator. I actually like it better.
      I did remove the strap and replaced it with a stainless steel cable, just in case.
      Thought we'd lost you from the forums!

I too love the sound even more without the resonator. That was a day 1 of ownership mod for me.
      2002 Volvo S60 T5 5M (SOLD) - ECU, intake, exhaust - 2:05 at BIR long course || 2006 Volvo S60R 6M Sonic Blue (RIP - saved my life) - 2:03.5 at BIR long course - 2:00 at BIR short course - Road Trip Pics - My HD Trackday Videos - Loud enough for ya? || 2007 Volvo S80 V8 (his), Barents Blue, 35% tint, Sport Package (4C), Heated and Cooled Seats || 2011 Volvo XC70 T6 (hers), Oyster Grey, 35% tint, hood liner removed so I can hear the turbo now

Still around, just don't have as much time to surf the forum.

Someone has to keep you in line.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

Yep the resonator delete is a permanent fix. Exhaust note is a little deeper but not loud or droning at all. The most noticeable difference is with the warm up idle. It's kind of loud then. After that it quiets down to normal.
      2006 S60R GT Sonic/Gobi, TME Springs, IPD CAI, IPD Neutral Sway Bar (rear), 5mm Spacers, Silver Powder Coated 18" Pegs
      2000 Audi A8

Remove the bracket - takes 10 secs and you don"t have to jack up the car.
      Do the resonator delete/TEPPERS AUTO SALES mod. My wife gave it the thumbs up - as in the slightly rowdier startup was much better than the whalin' banshee howl in the wet weather.

I should put that in my sig - TEPPERS AUTO SALES mod
      12 Dodge Challenger R/T (midlife crisis)
      11 Rav4 Limited V6
      05 SR GT Black Saphire - Gobi and proud of it. Also very proud of my Anthracite 18" Pegs, Blacked out grille, IPD upper mount, JRL mod. TRADED IN 1/21/12
      58 Ford F100 302 C4 9"

Former Advertiser TEPPERS AUTO SALES's Avatar
      DON'T
      Please don't

I don't know if the change over from the old forum site has lost all the post about these two issues, but I cannot think of a single reason not to do both. Rain squeal is gone and the risk of the bracket damaging your drive shaft is as well. The sound without the resonator is a bit deeper, the parking guys at my garage tell me its the best sounding Volvo they have ever heard.

i have taken all of you guys' advice and am literally in the process of having the resonator removed right now. Both Volvo and my mechanic say not to remove the bracket as it does provide a safety function, so i was told. I believe they said it would prevent the drive shaft from coming through the floor if it snapped. Don't quote me on that because i am saying this from memory.

Our R----said (above) that he replaced it with a stainless steel cable, "just in case"-----------Just in case of what??

Is there any legitimate safety function of the bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by SwagR View Post
      i have taken all of you guys' advice and am literally in the process of having the resonator removed right now. Both Volvo and my mechanic say not to remove the bracket as it does provide a safety function, so i was told. I believe they said it would prevent the drive shaft from coming through the floor if it snapped. Don't quote me on that because i am saying this from memory.

Our R----said (above) that he replaced it with a stainless steel cable, "just in case"-----------Just in case of what??

Is there any legitimate safety function of the bracket?

The reason for the bracket or strap is that if the exhaust is soooo rusted out that its ready to fall off the car, the bracket will hold it. By the time it would actually happen, you will hear the exhaust leaks/farting for a few years. If you do want to have some type of protection in there, I would get an exhaust metal strap from Autozone( http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=710674_0_0_ ) and bolt in in place of the old death bracket.
      2005 Volvo s60r Black Saphire/Nordkap MT, PhMIC, iPd DP, Heico Exhaust, Volutions, Trak Spec F&R Sways, IPD Stage 2, R Kelly Intake , SS Brake Lines, HD Coils, Viva forge CBV, R Boost Gauge , Strut Brace, GROM Aux Input, CB Radio....

Yes the bracket of death (BOD) must go ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      You have an extra $2K lying around to fix when (not if) after catching on an object protruding from the ground the BOD forces the exhaust system into your drive shaft?

Neither do I. I have the stainless steel cable for piece of mind (and nothing more) in the unlikely event of an exhaust system failure.

I had my resonator removed within 12 hours of buying my R. It's only slightly louder without it
      The BOD was already gone so the OE understood the danger. Yay!
      Last edited by redalrt; 07-29-2010 at 01:59 PM.
      '04 V70R 6MT, K&N, IPD HD Upper/Lower Engine Mounts, QBM Strut Brace Conversion, XC90 Bolts, Tinted Tails, VST CF Lip, TME Turboback, Wastegate Tweak, IPD Boost Gauge & Pod, Window Tint, Takspeed Safety Cable and Aluminum Pedals, Repainted Center Console, Heico 18" Volution Vs, General G Max AS-03 tires, IPD HD Sways and Endlinks. Removed Engine Bay Wxstripping (for heat dissipation). Zeckhausen Posi-Quiet Low Dust Brake Pads. SOLD!

Here's what the cable looks like. Quick stop at a good hardware store and you're set.

Last edited by Our R; 07-29-2010 at 03:18 PM.
      Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy ****, what a ride!"

extremely helpful gentleman. Thanks for all the tips!!!!!!!!

Our R-----right behind the cable that you bolted on, pardon my ignorance, but what is the long tube thing that looks like a muffler, it is probably six inches wide three inches tall and about two feet long? is that the resonator or something else? is that what should be cut out?

Thanks.

That is the resonator that has to go, and the bracket of death was where the strap is in now.

alternatively you can get the VOlvo rain squeal braket which removes the EBOD and puts a thinner one on.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      I DO NOT REPLY TO PM's FROM PEOPLE WITH UNDER 10 POSTS SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

do it! it saves the car, makes it sound better and is just an all around good thing

Quote Originally Posted by SwagR View Post
      Our R-----right behind the cable that you bolted on, pardon my ignorance, but what is the long tube thing that looks like a muffler, it is probably six inches wide three inches tall and about two feet long? is that the resonator or something else? is that what should be cut out?

Thanks.
      The pictures are from late 2003 when I first got the R and mods were just being developed. The cable was made and installed before the res was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Our R View Post
      The pictures are from late 2003 when I first got the R and mods were just being developed. The cable was made and installed before the res was removed.
      you made me a little nervous.......I had the resonator removed yesterday and what i described was what was removed. when i saw your picture and you said you had it removed but that was still on there, i got really nervous. Now i will rest easy! Thanks for all of the help, you have been EXTREMELY helpful.

You should see the groove in the resonator from it rubbing on the driveshaft. I could not believe my eyes. Volvo engineering should be ashamed of themselves for the poor design. The car sounds WAY better without the resonator and honestly you really can't tell the difference very much at all.

Glad to see your loving the sweet sounds of no resonator lol. I Personally don't find it loud enough lol
      2005 V70R - 6speed, Manual Magic Blue/Nordkap ------------ Sold

E46 M3 - 6 speed, Jet Black/Black