Check engine light flashing
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Check engine light flashing

A few days ago, I got hesitation and a flashing CEL under acceleration. I read the code it was something like 0305 cylinder 5 misfire. I cleared it , thought it might just be some freek thing....well today I noticed hesitation again...I didnt get the CEL but I want to fix this asap.

any thoughts what this is? my guess is Plugs and/or coils
      For Sale, my 05 V50 T5 $11,900 obo. Colorado Springs !
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...lorado-Springs

A flashing CEL usually means that a serious misfire of one or more cylinders is currently in progress and engine damage could result.

Definitely plugs and/or coils are involved.

Does it happen after you drive it awhile as in Heated?
      If over 17000 miles on T5 - Plugs at least Tighten up the Gaps.

This lost of power - does it go to limp mode?
      Last edited by EngTech; 08-16-2010 at 05:30 AM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

no it happened only during Hard acceleration ... another time I got hesitation but no CEL. I picked up some new Volvo plugs today. Hopefully thats it. Thanks so far.

Well when My TCV went T5 went into limp mode,but had been Acting up for awhile / Tune was also effecting things. What daily Temps You running in?
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Most cases its a fault coil pack, but i would pull the plugs and inspect the condition and gap as well. If you are in there and you havent replaced them within the last 30K miles I would suggest a coil and all 5 plugs.
      TheRetrofitSource | 2020 Motorsports | RTernie | H&R Springs | Import Meet | Girodisc

Current: E46M (daily) | S40 T5 (grocery getter)
      Past: NA1 NSX | Acura TL | LS-T DC4

More than likely its coils/plugs.

THANKS everyone! replaced the plugs today = MUCH better!

hey guys,

i just had the same issue on the highway, I was really giving it and i noticed a flashing CEL but it didn't stay on. I changed the plugs already before to new iridium plugs (the ones Viva sells for our cars) because I had the tune, but it looks like the coil packs have not been changed yet, would it just be a coil problem? If so, I probably should order the ipd HD coil packs I guess?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Metallic Silver 426 - ELEVATE Stage I Tune - ELEVATE AWD Lowering Springs - ELEVATE Rear Sway Bar - ELEVATE Rear Camber Arms - ELEVATE Turbo Pipe - VIVA Performance Front Strut Bar - EuroSportTuning Drop-in Filter - Volvo 18' Medusa Wheels - Volvo R-Design Steering Wheel - Full LED Conversion
      Former: 2002 S40 1.9T

No reason not to do the HD coil packs anyway... Worst case scenario, it doesn't fix the problem and you end up with HD coil packs
      Jeff - Boston, MA

2000 Volvo S80 2.9--- Say what you will, I've heard it all. "Blablabla, S80s are crap, blablabla". Whatever. DIAF.

*Bone-stock for now. Wheels soon. Drop sooner. Other... Stuff... Later.

I just pulled the codes: ecm-310c ecm-314c ecm-740c

Anyone know what these mean? 310 means misfire possible, 314 locates the misfire in cylinder 4, 740 is a CEM problem which apparently is caused by multiple faults stored in the ECU. What are my options here?
      2005 V50 T5 AWD - Metallic Silver 426 - ELEVATE Stage I Tune - ELEVATE AWD Lowering Springs - ELEVATE Rear Sway Bar - ELEVATE Rear Camber Arms - ELEVATE Turbo Pipe - VIVA Performance Front Strut Bar - EuroSportTuning Drop-in Filter - Volvo 18' Medusa Wheels - Volvo R-Design Steering Wheel - Full LED Conversion

If you're getting a flashing CEL like some people have mentioned, do NOT drive the car if the hesitation continues! The catalytic converter can be damaged from the excess fuel not being burned off in the misfiring cylinder. Fix this problem the right way by replacing all plugs AND all igintion coils. Sadly I know from experience with my previous VW. If one went bad, eventually they all will.
      Last edited by He'sgoneSwedish; 12-02-2010 at 09:37 AM.

Although that is true at 60-80 bucks a pop replacing all coils is not a cheap repair. Generally the coils with Volvo don't seem to fail all at once. I've done coil replacements on high mileage engines and haven't seem them back since for years for the same issue.

Pull ur plugs and check condition and gap. Most cases if u have had a mis for awhile they may be trashed anyhow and need replaced. Odds are ur mis is coil related like mentioned. Pretty common.

The flashing CEL indicates an emissions related fault that could cause severe damage to the cat or car as mentioned. Remedy the problem and try not to drive it.
      TheRetrofitSource | 2020 Motorsports | RTernie | H&R Springs | Import Meet | Girodisc

Quote Originally Posted by m4gician View Post
      I just pulled the codes: ecm-310c ecm-314c ecm-740c

Anyone know what these mean? 310 means misfire possible, 314 locates the misfire in cylinder 4, 740 is a CEM problem which apparently is caused by multiple faults stored in the ECU. What are my options here?
      Swap coils 2 and 4. If you get a code for cylinder 2 misfire then I'd just replace all the coils and not even bother with the plugs. Sure, it's not cheap changing all of them but considering the alternative is being stranded on the side of the road or damaging a CAT that's full of platinum by continuing to drive.... well, doesn't sound so expensive all of a sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by Crito View Post
      Sure, it's not cheap changing all of them but considering the alternative is being stranded on the side of the road or damaging a CAT that's full of platinum by continuing to drive.... well, doesn't sound so expensive all of a sudden.
      Exactly. $55/ea for coils at iPd and another $42 for plugs. Sorry, but on modern cars, $317 IS a cheap repair. Maybe I'm just desensitized from all the money I dumped into my VW to keep it in good shape...

Quote Originally Posted by He'sgoneSwedish View Post
      Exactly. $55/ea for coils at iPd and another $42 for plugs. Sorry, but on modern cars, $317 IS a cheap repair. Maybe I'm just desensitized from all the money I dumped into my VW to keep it in good shape...
      sounds good, i'll swap coils asap. ordering from ipd right away.

I Thought IPD's COIL Pack's - were On Back Order ?

Inspecting the Plugs ( Very Closely ) will Tell You the Story . Also Checking all the Gaps to see if they are .003 to .007 above
      normal etc. , as they should be .004 Below Normal Setting .
      Read ( That's where I run My Plugs with a Tune ) this also give one a little extra Time on the Maintenance Interval !

Hi all. I have the same situation described above with my 96 850 glt. When you refer to "coils" plural are you referring to the ignition coil(s). I believe my 850 only has one. Or are you referring to plug wires??
      tnx

Quote Originally Posted by ksdst1 View Post
      Hi all. I have the same situation described above with my 96 850 glt. When you refer to "coils" plural are you referring to the ignition coil(s). I believe my 850 only has one. Or are you referring to plug wires??
      tnx
      Your 850 has one ignition coil and 5 spark plug wires to the spark plugs, while the S40 in question has a "coil-on-plug" system and therefore has 5 individual ignition coils, and no plug wires. The ignition coils are wired into the wiring harness.

U are correct u have one coil attached to the cap and then wires to ur plugs. However newer model Volvo have switched to individual coil packs over each plug.

In ur case I would remove the cap and inspect the contacts on both that and the rotor. Very common for multiple cylinder misfire. Doesn't hurt to inspect the plugs and wires as well though. Every now and then ill see a bad coil on an 850.

Tnx for the reply. I am waiting for new plug wires, cap and rotor so hopefully that will take care of my misfire problems and i won't have to replace the ignition coil.

Wires only last 5 yrs. Max , sometimes not that long , If the Individual has not taken Very careful Handling of those Wires during Spark Plug Changing .

Ok. My update is, I finally got tune-up parts over the weekend and replaced plugs, wires, d-cap and rotor and still have the same situation. Problem with cylinder 1 & 2 (misfire codes-sounds more like 2 with an air/compression sound), idling and running rough and of course the check engine light. So unless it has to do with ignition coil which I understand either works or doesn't and would rule that out, then i have a problem with the valves or those cylinders. Again, the old plugs had oil (or burned gas) around the threads with black charred electrode area and a bit too much white exhaust smoke.

Now I need to find info, web links, opinions, etc. that show how to determine if the problem is cylinder rings, or valve gaskets and then what is involved in a self repair or mechanic repair. I've read about compression and leak down tests. Ideas on how much they should cost at an independent for valve gasket work, cylinder ring work? Could it even be a bad head gasket if only two cylinders have the problem? Since i know these mis-firing cylinders are the problem and it would be a high level repair process, should i just initiate the repair w/ an independent mech? Any Ideas of how much valve work or cylinder ring work would cost?

Any input would be helpful.
      tnx...kevin

I would run a compression check to eliminate/confirm a problem with the misfiring cylinders. The tool is pretty cheap and can be found at any local auto parts store. Thread it into the spark plug well, disconnect the ignition coil, and have someone crank the starter a few times until you get a reading on the compression gauge. Check this forum or a service manual to verify what compression reading your cylinders should be at. If it is very low, you can know that you have an internal problem. Good luck.

Would suggest pulling the fuse for the fuel pump as well don't want to be washing down the cylinders while cranking. Compression test will determine if the misfire is cylinder related, next step is to do the leak down to determine what the leakage cause is with the cylinder.

Set the piston to top dead center and listen for a leak. Lot of times ul hear it coming out the exhaust due to burnt valves. Fairly common on Volvo engines although not like we see it all the time. Head removal and valve job at the dealer runs under 2k with parts and labor.