S60R Top Strut Bushing Replacement
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Question S60R Top Strut Bushing Replacement

Hi,

Was under the hood this weekend, and noticed that the top strut bushings are broken. Is there an aftermarket part to replace this piece that someone can reccomend, or must I buy the part from Volvo?

I'd rather get something a bit more durable than pay $$ for the same piece.

Thanks!

are you talking about spring seats?
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      I DO NOT REPLY TO PM's FROM PEOPLE WITH UNDER 10 POSTS SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

I'm talking about the rubber bushing that is above the strut tower. I guess it could be a spring seat on the underside of the tower.

well if that bushing is broken it probably got that way because the spring seats were shot so you need to order both. No aftermarket that I know of.
      2006 Passion Red S60R
      Packages: Premium, Climate Options: Sport Appearance Package, 18" Pegs, 6Spd Geartronic, Navigation
      Accessories: Sunglasses holder, Sirius Radio, Volvo Digital Jukebox Mods:SS DEM Mod
      I DO NOT REPLY TO PM's FROM PEOPLE WITH UNDER 10 POSTS SO DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME!

Former Advertiser TEPPERS AUTO SALES's Avatar
      You don't "need to"... but it's a good idea
      IPD makes the ONLY good aftermarket spring seats.
      Do not buy anyone else's or they will break in 6 months, almost guaranteed!
      If you go with OEM, use XC90 spring seats, a bit thicker and seem to last a bit longer
      (Yes they do fit).

Oh and inteller, almost every aftermarket company makes them but almost all are J.U.N.K!
      You really should not answer if you don't know

JRL is right, the forums here and on Volvospeed are full of comments about aftermarket spring seats lasting 6 months or less, unless they were the XC90 or iPD spring seats. Only ones that consistently last a long time.
      '05 S60 T5 Manual, 147K miles, '01 S60T5 M, totaled 9/6/12 at 235K miles; 97 850 T5 auto
      Formerly '59 544, '71 1800E, '71 142E, '69 122S, '84 242 turbo; 544, 122, 142 race cars, 850's

are the XC90 spring seats just as good as the IPD spring seats?

looking on Tasca parts they list the same part number for XC90 and S60 spring seats. Do they only offer the longer lasting ones now?
      '05 S60R - 2.4R, RaceS60R FMIC, RaceS60R Downpipe, SPEC LWFW/Stage 3 clutch, Elevate upper mount, Forge CBV, Phuzzy HDTCV, Eibach, IPD Sways, Powerflex/Superflex CA bushings, BLP840
      '99 Audi A4 1.8T Stage 3...

I didn't check to see if they're using the same part number for both cars now, but I just recently installed XC90 spring seats in my car and when I compared them to the old spring seats, it looks like the rubber is thicker around the metal reinforcement right around the hole. They fit just fine. I told the Volvo parts guy that I had a 2007 XC90 V8.

Bump.

My upper driver's side strut tower bushing is shot, i'm thinking it's the spring seats that are broken which caused the upper bushing to break. I can rotate the bushing 360 degrees and when I go over bumps it clatters. I can't seem to find the bushing online even on tasca. I have ipd HD spring seats on order but i'd really like to replace this bushing also...

It's the rubber piece that is on top of each strut tower.
      2004 Volvo S60R Silver/Nordkap 6spd | OEM Sport Kit | RICA Stage II+ | OBX Full Exhaust | Snabb Intake + Shifter | FMIC | Forge CBV | Spec SM Flywheel | 14.3s @ 100mph
      2008 Yamaha YZF-R1 10.1 @ 144mph

FCP Groton. Reference number 8634457. $35.
      '04 S60R. 6MT. Black. Snow Stg. 2 WMI, PhMIC, 3" DP, AMS, HD TCV, Track Spec sways, R boost gauge, F/R strut & subframe braces, silicone coolant hoses, poly tranny and top engine mount bushings, Powerslot rotors, SNABB intake, Forge CBV, kevlar timing belt, TMW short shifter, JRL mod, Powerslot rotors, SS brake lines, Ti brake shims, 3K HID fogs.
      '68 Plymouth Fury III. 318/727 Work in progress.