shifter blind how to
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

shifter blind how to

well after some time my shifter blind started falling apart and eventually I wasn't able to use the geartronic function. Here is a how to on how to replace the shifter blind.

Tools and parts: torx set, flat head screwdriver, and a new shifter blind (pn:8699465)
      Time: 30 to 45 minutes

first remove shifter knob by turning the twist lock at the bottom then pulling upwards till it pops out

next remove the cigarette lighter trim to access the torx screws

next remove the trim around the lcd screen of the radio and gently pull the screen out to access the torx screws

next remove the center console and put it aside

remove the top piece of the geartronic shift indicator (there are 4 clips to remove this piece I used a flat head screw driver to gently pry them off

remove the circuit board and move it over so that no unnecessary damage happens to it and then remove the next layer of the geartonic shifter (this piece is a little difficult to remove there are 2 clips on the right side after those are loose gently pull and and wiggle it off)

once you have that piece off place the new shifter blind on and make sure the ridges face down (not like the picture lol my mistake) and that the magnet is on the left side

then put everything back together and enjoy a fully functioning geartronic again
      Last edited by mv-s40; 08-22-2010 at 12:35 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Wow... thanks for this how-to. I might try it in the future if mine breaks again.

Mine failed a year back but everything worked fine, though it looked super ugly. Made me 100 bucks poorer.
      Don't race with Volvos just because they don't look fast. Most of they actually are...

no problem, the dealer quoted me $200 to replace it and I'm a broke college student so I ordered the $25 piece and went to work

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yup, the part is cheap compared to the labour cost. I'm in the same boat with you on this...
      Don't race with Volvos just because they don't look fast. Most of they actually are...

How to remove radio trim

This is great! Thanks! I am stuck on "next remove the trim around the lcd screen"... I can't figure out how to remove the trim. Which direction do you come at it from, which way do you push, etc... I don't want to turn the installation of an $18 part into a broken radio trim! Any help appreciated. Thanks!!!!

the black trim around the lcd screen I just gently pried it off by going around it and prying each side little by little until it comes off.... take your time and be gentle (I used a flat head wrapped in some paper towel so I didn't scratch the aluminum)
      2003 Volvo s40 1.9T R.I.P
      2006 Volvo s40 T5
      Installed: Nokya yellow fogs, K&N intake, IPD TCV, Ksport coil overs

I'm trying to replace my gear shift knob and I couldn't pull it out. How much force did you use?

Thanks.

A LOT lol I stood on both seats and yanked like crazy till it came out but make sure that the twist lock at the bottom is loose
      2003 Volvo s40 1.9T R.I.P
      2006 Volvo s40 T5
      Installed: Nokya yellow fogs, K&N intake, IPD TCV, Ksport coil overs

Quote Originally Posted by navolvo View Post
      I'm trying to replace my gear shift knob and I couldn't pull it out. How much force did you use?

Thanks.

I did a small write up on VS years ago. Here is the link

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      I did a small write up on VS years ago. Here is the link
      Aldebaran, you are awesome. Your advices are so useful that even the staffs at Volvo should learn from you. I'll give it a try.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by navolvo View Post
      Aldebaran, you are awesome. Your advices are so useful that even the staffs at Volvo should learn from you. I'll give it a try.

Thank you.
      You're welcome and good luck. I wish there were more instructions and guides for mundane upgrades because inevitably someone will find it useful. So when I work on the cars, I just do a writeup if there isn't one.

Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      You're welcome and good luck. I wish there were more instructions and guides for mundane upgrades because inevitably someone will find it useful. So when I work on the cars, I just do a writeup if there isn't one.
      Your foresight is indeed doing something good. I followed your instruction to replace my rear view mirror with an auto dimming. Everyone I asked at Volvo said I couldn't if my car didn't have the rain sensor. But thanks to your writeup, it is possible. I didn't post anything on VS to thank you, but I'll do it here...THANK YOU!.

Thank you! Worked for me!

I just noticed my shifter blinds are stuck open. Time for a fix.

Thanks for the write up, it was very helpful. I'll add a few more pictures from my project today to clear up some questions.

Mine broke off, so there's a big hole.

The display unit is held on by two clips on the top two corners. I couldn't figure out how much force to use at first. VADIS said to use your fingers, but I can't get a solid grip. So I used a trim remover. This was, by far, the most difficult part of the procedure. Everything else was easy.

The two clips on each side. Pull out towards you.

The circuit board base is held on by two clips on the right side:

And two on the left side:
      Last edited by aldebaran; 09-24-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Tom, this one should also be stickied for the pre-facelifted model year - shifter blind how-to.

Done, thanks!

If I had been able to find this thread when I was doing this... it would've been so much easier to get the shifter off!!! lol I did search, I guess I just never used any of the word combinations from this thread... I kept searching "automatic shifter", "automatic shift knob", and other variations of that until I just gave up.

Hey guys, i did this replacement but im having problems with locking the gear knob back again, i can lock it so it cant come up but cant lock it so it does not turn around. Any recommendations???

Just completed this last week. Thanks!

missing step

I just did this repair today to my late model 2004 S40 and this steps listed here were extremely helpful. Although, there is one critical missing step.

In order to pop out the LCD display, it is a LOT easier to pop of the panel behind the console. It is very easy to pop off with a screwdriver. It has 4 clips at the 4 corners.

After this panel is removed, one can just push the LCD display out from the back and save yourself the risk of damaging display.

I just did mine.. The hardest part was getting the shifter knob off. LOL!!

Anyone know what is the part number for the same shifter blind for right hand drive s40?

Found the part - it's the same part number for rhd vehicle..

Hi guys, new to the forum. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement shifter blind in Brisbane (preferably), or anywhere in Australia? I've checked out volvopartswebstore.com, and although the blind only costs $12, the shipping is another $48...

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by N4tt3fr0st View Post
      Hi guys, new to the forum. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement shifter blind in Brisbane (preferably), or anywhere in Australia? I've checked out volvopartswebstore.com, and although the blind only costs $12, the shipping is another $48....
      if you dont want to pay shipping, then you local dealer is the best bet.
      However, Australian prices are probably much more than what you've been quoted.

Also try myswedishparts.com... They use USPS rather than expensive courier companies.

If all else fails, order some other parts to amortise the freight cost
      2004 | V70R
      2008 | V50 T5 AWD
      2015 | V60 Polestar

Thanks mate.

Great instructions, only took about 20 minutes once I got the knob off - therein lies my problem. I finally got everything back together; but my shift knob won't stay in place, it rotates 360 degrees. The little "cap on the bottom of the knob won't catch and tighen up. Everything works, is just spins around whenever I shift.

Any thoughts or pearls of wisdom?

Just did this on my daughters c70. Thanks. It looks much better and its manually shift-able again.

replaced mine today on 05 S40. Instructions here were great help. only problem, now trans will not go into manual shift mode.
      Did I miss something??

It took me 15 minutes.
      Got in my car had the part with me wouldnt go into gear. So i decided to take it apart in the parking lot of the volvo dealership and replaced it. Works fine now :P
      07 S40 2.4 GT Passion Red Instagram: @ItsReallySlow and @TRUdetailing
      SlowVo. Progression Thread: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...ession-Thread-)
      PARTS FOR SALE: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...09#post2405609

did mine yesterday thx to this thread. thanks!
      Perseverate In Pugna

Thanks for the thread!

I had trouble finding the black-n-black catches for the cover (they aren't at either end like I assumed. VIDA came to my rescue:

However, I really needed to do it:

Last edited by mf70; 09-22-2014 at 10:46 AM.
      Mark

"New-to-me" V50 Back from the dead.
      http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc0511129.jpg

I just did job and no problems

I would add this
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3CaK_2GzmE

In addition I found that to remove shifter knob, key in ingition, foot on brake, turn key on to allow shifter to move.

Drop down to D and you can slide collar lower to free knob. Pulled off with no force needed.

To put back on,. you will now probably be able to push shifter over to manual mode now and even more room.

Line up collar to know how it needs to be, push down and move collar up. Done.

Thanks again guys. Could not do this stuff without you.

Hey DeanJ - did you ever get a response? I have the same problem. Also, when yours broke, did the check engine light come on? Thanks ~B.

38. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast