shifter blind how to - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by BrooksL View Post
      Hey DeanJ - did you ever get a response? I have the same problem. Also, when yours broke, did the check engine light come on? Thanks ~B.
      Did you install the magnet the proper way?
      2005 S40 2.4i

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

@ mgm7890 - I believe so. The blind is installed ridges down and the magnet facing up riding in the groove of the plastic piece that the circuit board is attached to. I am not sure if I am missing something as when I want to use Geartronic mode, the magnet would have to pop out of the groove to go over to the right. I am pretty sure that this is not supposed to be that complicated but it is kicking my a#!.

looks similar to the internals on my c70 except I don't see a circuit board. anyone have knowledge about the c70 set up and the circuit board. ok got circuit board off to find a solid plastic and metal housing that I need to get off to instal blind. HELP !!
      Last edited by shawnc70; 07-10-2015 at 06:17 PM.

Look in VIDA & see what Volvo says. If you're getting that far into your car, you can really use a "native guide."

A VMware image is available free.
      Mark

"New-to-me" V50 Back from the dead.
      http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...psc0511129.jpg

C70 is exactly the same. What year is your car? Facelift cars come off in one piece. 4 clips & one wire connector. Did you see this picture?
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

kind of late but no light came on for me

brycajleung8221, you will have to explain more.
      Mark

Your instructions were awesome, just replaced mine on an 06 s 40 2.4 i

Specific to 2008 C70?

Hi All,

I have been searching for these same instructions specific to 2008 volvo c70. The trim is different for the lighter/convertible top controls, and I definitely don't want to break it. Does anyone know how that changes these instructions? There is a youtube video that shows a discrete piece of trim to pull off for the cigarette lighter on some models, but mine has a large piece of trim that goes around the entire center console. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hansel

2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Thanks man, your instructions worked a treat. Replaced my blind in half an hour.

I need to thank also mv-s40 for excellent instructions. replaced mine two weeks ago.
      Even thou I first time installed the magnet upside down (RHD)

Maybe just adding: when removing the trim around the LCD screen, start from the top

Anyone have experience with their shifter getting stuck in N because of broken pieces of the blind? I bought my 09 S40 with no apparent blind but I'm assuming there's still a piece or two in there that moved and is catching my shifter.

Quote Originally Posted by throughbeingIan View Post
      Anyone have experience with their shifter getting stuck in N because of broken pieces of the blind? I bought my 09 S40 with no apparent blind but I'm assuming there's still a piece or two in there that moved and is catching my shifter.
      Mine was not stuck, but while I was changing the blind there were several pieces around.... so it could easily stuck yours.
      But they are just plastic pieces so I think by using some extra force it will move. If not then something else.

Yeah it took some force but it breaks free. Still catches but comes loose with a good pull. Ordered the new blind last night, hopefully that takes care of it. Excited to finally try out the geartronic

I'd be careful and wary of forcing any broken pieces around... there are some circuit boards and wires under there...

I realize this thread is old, but i just bought a car and it wont go into M mode. Is this the same thing, and how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by chocolater2 View Post
      I realize this thread is old, but i just bought a car and it wont go into M mode. Is this the same thing, and how to fix it?
      If your Shifter Blinder is broken then surely YES. If your blinder seems OK, you can still check if the magnet is in the correct place.

If you can see down into the mechanism under the blind at any position of the shift lever, it is broken.
      Mark

Awaiting Approval

Gear shifter knob removal

Hi, I recently did a gear selector skirt replacement on our RHD V50, and thanks heaps for the very helpful write up and information. Made the job so easy!!!. (on my RHD version, and it was just the same, just the skirt is flipped around so that the magnet is on the other side of the car.

However, I did find one thing that I thought may be helpful, this was relating to the actual removal of the gear knob itself.
      I found that if the gear lever was put into the Drive position (as jbswedespeedV50 says to do), then this allows the collar nut to be dropped down nice and low (because of the extra room from the shifter slot going off to the manual up down shift position) dropping the locking nut low enough, means that it completely clears the actual locking claws on the bottom of the gear knob, then using a small flat blade screwdriver, I gently opened up each of the claws, at the very bottom of the gear selector knob, so that the gripping fingers that hold onto the groove cut into the gear lever shaft are pulled out so that they no longer are gripping into this groove on the shaft, then the gear shift knob was able to be simply lifted off the shaft, with no need to pull it like crazy.

Also regarding the removal of the sound system control screen. I found a very small flat blade screwdriver inserted at each side of the top of the CD inlet hole, going directly upwards, as close to the face of the front cover as possible, ( ie upwards and keeping it towards the rear of the car), not going in as far as the actual part of the player where the CD goes, pushed up and outwards dislodged the little clips that hold the cover on. Saved a lot of pulling trying to get this screen cover off.

I hope that this helps.

Anyone need spare shifter blinds and will be at Carlisle PA this weekend, look me up. I have two spares and I don't have my S40 anymore.

23. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2