Front License Plate Mounting
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Front License Plate Mounting

Has anybody tried mounting their front license plate with velcro? I recently removed my texas plates and noticed that I have four holes in my bumper.

I guess the other two may have been from my european plates I used to have. Been thinking of filling the holes and repainting the bumper and using velcro. I use the car on weekends only and occasional road trips.
      2005 Volvo V70R Blk Nordkap, 3 Pedal Set-up, Evolve hood grill, EST downpipe, KN filter window in box, LED Interior, FMIC
      2007 Volvo XC90 Red V8 R-design Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LED interior

I used this solution. Velcro will not be sturdy enough and you may risk losing your plates...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...but-fits-the-R
      For CCmustangs, you need to contact the owner as the 94-98 bracket is no longer posted on their site. But I just got mine last month and it's very high quality and works great. It's also removable so if your at a show, you can easily remove it by loosening 2 wingnuts.
      04 S60 R | MT | Matte Frozen Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

^+1, I have this and it works just fine. I recommend putting something between the vertical bars of the CCmustangs bracket holding the plate and the bumper (like rubber pads stuck to the bars), as it can scratch from contact/vibration.
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

Quote Originally Posted by BlazinBob View Post
      ^+1, I have this and it works just fine. I recommend putting something between the vertical bars of the CCmustangs bracket holding the plate and the bumper (like rubber pads stuck to the bars), as it can scratch from contact/vibration.
      +1 Agreed, but the version I bought from CCMustangs that I got 2 weeks ago came with rubber pads. So it's all good, I think he modified the design a little bit, the securing plates are now wrapped in rubber as well to avoid scratching the bumper at all even though it's inside the bumper...
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/STK-SK06-ULPR-MID1.html
      I love this!!!! when i get a new set of plates im getting this
      No more R got a 1995 240sx converted to a Silvia in replacement... Can't say I miss the Volvo
      P.s no more am i Volvo tech... I now am a shop Forman at a high performance shop.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
      Yeah right, he's all happy you called...then a yellow birdie flys by and oh here's a cupcake, btw what were we talking about...

Quote Originally Posted by DevolvR View Post
      +1 Agreed, but the version I bought from CCMustangs that I got 2 weeks ago came with rubber pads. So it's all good, I think he modified the design a little bit, the securing plates are now wrapped in rubber as well to avoid scratching the bumper at all even though it's inside the bumper...
      too late for me. There were some little metal bumps on the back of the upright bars that scratched my bumper a bit. I like the design though, it's easy to put on and take off.
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

I just recently installed a new bumper cover and didn't want to drill holes to mount the bracket, so I got the show-n-go and mounted it on the bottom side. You still have to drill holes on the bottom, but no holes on the main area underneath the main grille. My only worry is that I might rip it off if i'm not careful going off driveways or pulling into gas stations.
      2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Hybrid Touring (Plasma Green)
      2004 Volvo S60R (Flash Green) ::SOLD::
      2000 Volvo V70R (Laser Blue) "Project Oh Boy"
      1998 Volvo V70 NA (White) - K&N Filter, Tethys Rims

Quote Originally Posted by KiotCloudkicker View Post

I just recently installed a new bumper cover and didn't want to drill holes to mount the bracket, so I got the show-n-go and mounted it on the bottom side. You still have to drill holes on the bottom, but no holes on the main area underneath the main grille. My only worry is that I might rip it off if i'm not careful going off driveways or pulling into gas stations.
      Yeah that won't work if you have winglets, unless you want to install it infront of the intercooler (weird!! and more heat soak issues lol)...

How about taking the plate off completely??? If you get pulled over get some 3M double sided sticky tape to adhere to the front bumper while you get the local cops to sign off on your fix it ticket. Once they sign off on it, remove the plate and be on your way.
      1998 Volvo C70 - Mystic Silver/Charcoal, Stage III
      2007 Volvo S60r - Electric Silver/Nordkap - SOLD, and Missed.
      2012 Volvo S60 T5 - Caspian Blue/Off-black

Thanks for all the replies.

ccmustang is a little more than what I would pay for a license plate mount. I may just just come up with a my own mounting bracket or just use velcro. This velcro I have sticks very well, my only concern is tearing off my paint as I remove the velcro on the bumper.
      2005 Volvo V70R Blk Nordkap, 3 Pedal Set-up, Evolve hood grill, EST downpipe, KN filter window in box, LED Interior, FMIC
      2007 Volvo XC90 Red V8 R-design Drilled and Slotted Rotors, LED interior