Fan blower continues to run after engine shutdown
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Fan blower continues to run after engine shutdown

Just took delivery of 2011 XC-90 yesterday. Made a short trip today and returned the car to my garage but noted fan motor/blower continued to run even 60 minutues after engine shutdown. I kept hoping the fan would shut off but to no avail. After I re-inserted the ignition key and turned to position III the fan blower immediately shut down. I then decided to secure the auto-mode and turned the fan speed knob to fully off; also pressed the a/c button to off. I plan to monitor for the next few hours in hopes the fan does not start up again. If it does, I guess my next action will be to disconnect the battery before re-connecting to make a trip to the dealership. Suggestions are invited.
      2006 V50 w/Sport Pkg Black
      2014 S60 Premier Plus T5 Sea Shell Met

Are you referring to the fan in the front near the radiator or the inner fan blower for the cabin? My inner fan blower tries to cool the inside sporadically. It does this when I walk by with the key in my pocket. When I walk by without the key it does not. The outer fan for the radiator shuts itself off after 10 to 12 minutes when it is very hot (102 outside). Some mornings when go to start the car and it is above 80 degrees outside the fan in the car is running blowing air into the cabin. Can always starts right up. If it is very cold out and the motor was run a couple of hours before and I get back in to go somewhere it is blowing marginally warm air in. Has done this since new (January, 2010).

... the a/c fan runs after the engine is shut off to prevent mold and bad smells in the HVAC system. but if it runs constantly u need to talk to ur dealer
      2007 XC90 V8 Sport
      2004 V70R sold

I am aware of the normal after-run function of the electric fan for the engine's radiator. It is the inner fan blower for the cabin that is my concern. WRT the inner fan blower for the cabin, I suppose running for awhile after shut down to prevent mold makes sense. I'll monitor closely to ensure the fan eventually stops.
      Perhaps I'll be able to ascertain (from Volvo) the normal after-shutdown function for this fan. I noted quite a few weird functions for the cabin fan blower in the "R'" Forum so I suppose this is not a new problem. I say "problem" because if it's a normal function, Volvo should include relative info in the Owners manual.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2x View Post
      I am aware of the normal after-run function of the electric fan for the engine's radiator. It is the inner fan blower for the cabin that is my concern. WRT the inner fan blower for the cabin, I suppose running for awhile after shut down to prevent mold makes sense. I'll monitor closely to ensure the fan eventually stops.
      Perhaps I'll be able to ascertain (from Volvo) the normal after-shutdown function for this fan. I noted quite a few weird functions for the cabin fan blower in the "R'" Forum so I suppose this is not a new problem. I say "problem" because if it's a normal function, Volvo should include relative info in the Owners manual.
      Yes, the cabon blower will run as art of the normal afterblower function of the auto climate system.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2014 Volvo XC60 R-design, Crystal White Pearl, Climate/Platinum/Enhanced BLIS/Connected Touch/RSE/Front Blindview Camera Polestar+software325 HP, 354 lbs/ft

Quote Originally Posted by GrecianVolvo View Post
      Yes, the cabon blower will run as art of the normal afterblower function of the auto climate system.
      Thanks for the clarification. It's a real benefit to have the input of a knowledgeable Volvo Global Moderator. Hope Volvo appreciates you.

Thanks for the clarification. It's a real benefit to have the input of a knowledgeable Volvo Global Moderator. Hope Volvo appreciates you.
      Yannis (Grecian) is The Volvo...and we all hope (sure) that it does appreciate him...

The inner fan after blow has the mind of its own, as I am pretty sure, it is also triggered by the extreme hot temperature in a cabin. I found the fan running in my car parked under the sun on many occasions.
      Last edited by gascos80; 09-03-2010 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gascos80 View Post
      Yannis (Grecian) is The Volvo...and we all hope (sure) that it does appreciate him...

The inner fan after blow has the mind of its own, as I am pretty sure, it is also triggered by the extreme hot temperature in a cabin. I found the fan running in my car parked under the sun on many occasions.
      Good information about this exteme hot temp feature. Glad I don't live near death valley or other desert areas, otherwise my XC-90's fan motor would wear out before the car ages out. Can't imagine how many battery replacements would occur.

Good information about this exteme hot temp feature. Glad I don't live near death valley or other desert areas, otherwise my XC-90's fan motor would wear out before the car ages out. Can't imagine how many battery replacements would occur.
      Do not worry about the battery drain. Your Volvo watches the battery and will shut the fan (either the raditor cooling or internal) if battery voltage is low. Same applies to the radio I think. I live in So Cal and have P2 cars since 2000. Never had an issue with either fan draining the battery.

Although the parking lights did drain the battery of my XC90 once.

Lightbulb

I submit an apology to Volvo regarding this issue. Page 93 of the 2011 XC-90 Owners Manual explains the functions of the passenger compartment blower and the automatic blower start up after engine shut down. "When all else fails, read the instructions!!":

I submit an apology to Volvo regarding this issue. Page 93 of the 2011 XC-90 Owners Manual explains the functions of the passenger compartment blower and the automatic blower start up after engine shut down. "When all else fails, read the instructions!!":
      As an old joke says - real man reads the instruction only when he is absolutely sure that the thing that he want to put together is broken beyond repair...

Quote Originally Posted by gascos80 View Post
      He is appreciated. He bleeds Volvo blue and always strives to take care of our customers.
      Toy: 2009 Miata GT: Copper Red w/beige leather, MT6, Premium, Sport Suspension.
      His: 2014 V70 D5 Polestar, M66, sport chassis, 18" wheels. Hers: 2014 XC60 D3
      Daughter number one: 2001 S40: black w/black leather
      Daughter number two: 2005 S80 2.5T AWD, Son-in-Law: 2013 S60 T5 AWD
      Daughter number three: 2013 S60 T5: base black w/sand cloth & heated seats.