SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Turn Signal Switch Install

49K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  Minnesotaprimal97 
#1 ·
Ok, it's not decoding the CANBUS, or putting in ecodes, but here's how the turn signal stalk is installed. I ordered mine from Tasca, 05-07 with trip computer is part #31268566. Mine has been wonky for years, it was finally driving me crazy enough to buy a new one. Probably shoulda' done this a long time ago, it's super easy to replace:

Under the steering column remove three torx 25:

Lift the top cover up and away (it doesn't come completely out), and push the bottom piece down a little to access two small Phillips head screws holding the stalk in place, one is on the top and one on the bottom, and take them out:

Pull the old stalk straight out, the connections are made by a series of "plug and play" pins:

Push the new stalk into place and screw in the two screws that secure it. The rubber grommet (also supplied with the new part) is keyed to go in one way, so look before you push it back into place:

Screw the torx screws back in and you're golden! Took maybe 15 minutes to do this.

See less See more
#8 ·
umm what would you clean..? i wish i still had one laying around but i dont..
I dont think there is much to take appart once removed maybe the contacts but i think the ssuse is in the click/lock mecanesim

#4 ·
Okay I'd like to confirm that there's no need to buy a new stalk. Simply take out the old one, unscrew thew board from it and clean the connections. There was a lot of build-up on my connections, that's why it didn't work properly.
I noticed that the "male sliders" created groves on the female receivers (you'll know what it means when you take yours apart) so I bent the male sliders sideways that way they're all sliding on new territory. With that and a good clean the stalk works as new.

#6 ·
Does cleaning the pins fix the erratic blinkers problem? That's the only thing wonky with my stalk - wiggle it and it fixes itself. The other controls on the stalk are ALWAYS PERFECT, only the blinkers are weird...

#13 ·
Ok, here's what is behind the board after you remove the small screw holding it:
The lower arm moves for L/R signal selection, the upper one moves when you pull the stalk back for high beam. The contact points on the board are dielectric greasy.

#15 ·
I have a turn signal stalk waiting to go in my car, but it's still covered under warranty so I can't install it myself or I'd have to pay for it too. Now I'm stuck waiting for a tech to be free to install it, but I'll definitely keep this handy in case it ever dies again after the warranty runs out. Nice to know that it's not difficult.

#16 ·
Thanks for the pics in this thread BlazinBob. I took tomedkaz's suggestion and cleaned the terminals reapplied the grease and shes working like a charm. This community rocks.

#18 ·
For those experiencing the problem what exactly are the symptoms? I assume this problem effecst both the interior dash arrow lights AND the exterior turn signals from working, correct?
(I'm asking because I'm a religious signaler for highway lane changes yet a cop pulled me over saying I made three lane changes and didn't signal one of them)

LTA

#19 ·
LTA - so am I. My assumption was if it isnt signalling on the dash - it wasnt at the exterior corners.

Unfortunately this problem is intemitant and on the freeway after making a change -its not like you can pull over and check to see if the indicators are working. You may signal once - it works, next time it wont then the third time it does. I couldnt replicate it at the dealer (final check before the warranty expired) either.

I seemed to have the bigest problem when I did the soft indicate (as in not fully on, but just trying to blink the indicators) rather than the indicator on and locked.

Also my indicator didnt like the left. Right was fine. Others have had the opposite. My interior light did not illuminate and their was no audible sound.

#21 ·
Alright I see all you guys are having more of electrical problems with the stalk. I, on the other hand, have what seems like a more mechanical problem. I somewhat remember that when I got the car, the car made a less noticeable and nicer sounding "click" sound for signaling and turning the brights on and off. Now it seems to make a cheap "crackle click". Is this something that could be fixed by taking it apart, or should I just order a new stalk?

#24 ·
This is awesome! Kudos to Blazinbob and Tomedkaz and others. I used have an erratic turn signal while turning Left. Right was fine. I followed the instructions in the beginning and could not get the nerve to "Pull" the stalk straight out. But I pulled a connector out and blew compressed air into the contact holes and put it back......On an intuition, I tried the turn signals and viola! they work! Will save this if it really gives up again and clean the contacts. Thanks again

#28 ·
I did this a couple weekends ago and forgot to post. It was easy, just took out that board and added a thin layer of solder to each of the worn contacts, put it back in, and it is working great. Thanks!

#32 ·
DO NOT USE Sandpaper on those contacts!!
Use a pencil eraser. That is normal oxidation on the contacts of the circuit board.
I know what I'm talking about. Look at my Sig.

Dadio61.

#36 ·
So, being that it's almost been a year since there was activity on this thread, how is the stalk holding up for you people who cleaned the contacts?

#38 ·
Good DIY

I'm too cheap also sofar to fix mine, have the issue with blicking left in the Summer but mine is sofar fixed by pushing the blinker-lever a little bit forward during raising or lowering the blinker-handle.
I always try to blink so when it stars to rapid click I know I need to reset and redo and raise force :)
Works sofar +5yrs (driven lesser km's latetely but ....)... lately if it doesn't work it doens't do a thing nor so I must be fast to counter react and apply sligtly mORE foreward froce while pushing down.

#47 ·
Three years later, thank you. I have two to do this weekend.
I had to make this fix last night, so I made a video of the steps.

#40 ·
Thanks to all who posted on this thread. This is the main reason that I found this forum to begin with. My situation was a bit different, and so is my remedy. About 6-8 weeks ago I noticed that the high beams were coming on when I turned right. The signals worked fine, the only glitch was the hi beams coming on with the right turn. Then I discovered that if I maintained pressure on the stalk in the right turn direction, the high beams would stay off.

Thanks to this thread I found the information and the confidence to pull my switch out for a look. Unfortunately, cleaning is not going to be an option for me--as it turns out, my signal stalk has a couple of hairline cracks around the base where it goes into the switch assembly. The one in back was about 3 inches long and the one in front is about 1 inch long. I never noticed them until I removed it. My S60 is an '03 and I've only had it for about 18 months, so it could have been that way for a long time, but difficult to say for sure. I am the only only driver at this time, and I don't recall doing any pull-ups from this lever!

Thanks again to the forum for this information. I ordered a new switch today. (And struts, strut mounts, spring seats--but that is another story!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.