SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

My LED tail project

30K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  urinalcake 
#1 · (Edited)
Inspired by the previous work of some SS members I decided to tackle on this project.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?146018-Back-with-another-tail-light-retro!!!
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?133148-Diod-lines-on-S60-taillights
I bought a used taillight for ebay and disected it using a hot knife. ALthough it was quicker than actually cutting the taillight it had some undesirable effects. Have to work on a way to conceal it:

After some brainstorming I realized that placing LED to close to the red reflectrors will have the effect that some people like

but I wanted to conceal the actual LED's and have a rather stream of light tahn seeing each individual led bulb.
So I decided to place LED strip as far back as possible to achieve that effect.

After some brainstorming I decided to use the LED strip:
http://autolumination.com

I got 2 sets of 30 cm strips that had 30 led bulbs.

Instead of cutting the entire taillight I cut the section just long enough to fit LED strips.

(LED strip is covered by the yellow glue/gasket stuff). I thought it would be better just in case LED fail and I would have to deal with the weatherstrip rather than taking the whole taillight again. I will probably end up taking the left taillight out since for some reason it is not as bright as the right side. Perhaps the strip would have to be repositioned.

In regards to the connections. I decided to use replace the rear side marker bulb since its removal will not cause bulb warning message. Just to be safe I used LED protectors for each side.
Once everything was dry:

No bulb warning messages.:cool:

Not sure if i prefer this look now:

And even if I do I would have to figure out the way to eliminate the bulbs without causing the dreaded message.
BTW does anyone need left taillight taken apart completely by hotknife? It served its purpose I don't need it anymore.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice job! That's exactly what I would have done ;)

What I'd suggest to get rid of the 'gunk' look that is left by taking apart the lamps (which is why I never went ahead w/ my project): wet sand it down, buff and polish, the same way you would with one of those "headlight restoration kits." That might do the trick for you.

#6 ·
It does, I wonder if theres a way to get the same lighting effect if the evolve taillight trim is installed...

#8 ·
Looks great! I like it.

#11 · (Edited)
thanks all,

just finished up the left tail, looks better than before

BTW, just another idea for those who decide to mess with the tails. I found that it was easier to make this type of connection: find an old bulb and break the glass all the way to the socket, cut the electrodes leaving just enough space to solder your led wires- handy :D

#12 ·

that's just awesome!! Makes me think (don't know why) at a picture taken from a S60 concept or something. To bad that it's not alowed to something like that with you're lights around here

#13 ·
How does it look from the side? Can you post a side view pic?

#16 ·
Thats it, Im settled. I am going to TRIM my evolve tails so that they HIDE the actual bulbs but still let the light out the back. Stay tuned, thanks for the inspiration.

#18 ·
Yes, but I like the way the covers block off the SIDE of the taillight, all id need to do is trim off the overhang so that the LEDs glow is visible from behind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.