SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Mine's built as well

35K views 99 replies 22 participants last post by  hikeskool 
#1 ·
F***ing yea!
My car is built and leaving the factory today.
It's going to be in Geneva by next week, but I'll only get to see it on the 10th (vacation)
Yay!!! I'll post pictures then!

#79 ·
Did you change the license plate lamps as well? Those were the first set I changed. I know a number of readers here buy LEDs from Superbrigthleds.com. Because of my thriftiness, I couldn't bring myself to buy the 3710-CWHP3 for $7.95 each while on eBay, the CANBUS 3 SMD LED bulbs with a heat sink sell for US$1.94 for two including shipping. I know the reluctances of purchasing from eBay, Chinese bulbs, blah-blah-blah…but I figure at that price, I have nothing to lose. For the cabin lighting, I used Philips ExtremeVision 4000K T10. These are bright and white and so far, I've just installed them on the rear dome only. I'll try replacing the map lights again.
I was ready to replace the puddle bulbs but couldn't get the nerve up to pop out the mirror. When you do so, can you please take a few photos of the inside? Looking a VIDA, it appears you can remove the lens by using a long narrow screwdriver without popping out the mirror. TIA!

#80 ·
Did you change the license plate lamps as well? Those were the first set I changed. I know a number of readers here buy LEDs from Superbrigthleds.com. Because of my thriftiness, I couldn't bring myself to buy the 3710-CWHP3 for $7.95 each while on eBay, the CANBUS 3 SMD LED bulbs with a heat sink sell for US$1.94 for two including shipping. I know the reluctances of purchasing from eBay, Chinese bulbs, blah-blah-blah…but I figure at that price, I have nothing to lose. For the cabin lighting, I used Philips ExtremeVision 4000K T10. These are bright and white and so far, I've just installed them on the rear dome only. I'll try replacing the map lights again.
Yup, I changed the licence plate lamps as well - they were among the first to be changed :)
I think I got these 3610-CW4 ones.

I was ready to replace the puddle bulbs but couldn't get the nerve up to pop out the mirror. When you do so, can you please take a few photos of the inside? Looking a VIDA, it appears you can remove the lens by using a long narrow screwdriver without popping out the mirror. TIA!
That's exactly what I was planning to do... Flip the mirror up as high as it will go from the controls, then use a long narrow screwdriver to remove the housing.
I'll post pictures when I'll have it done.

#82 · (Edited)
Thanks!

...I was ready to replace the puddle bulbs but couldn't get the nerve up to pop out the mirror. When you do so, can you please take a few photos of the inside? Looking a VIDA, it appears you can remove the lens by using a long narrow screwdriver without popping out the mirror. TIA!
I finally replaced the bulbs for the driver and passenger footwell as well as the mirror bulbs.

For the footwell bulbs, you can change the bulbs pretty easily actually... First you need to take the light diffuser out, then
1) you can change the bulb then and there
or
2) take the whole housing out - there are plastic 6 pins that are visible - you only need to release the 4 corner ones

I only took a picture after I replaced the passenger bulb (for comparison)

For the mirror it was a bit more tricky... I managed to get the housings out BUT I'm almost certain that that's not how you do it :)

Edit: As a matter in fact, other users pointed out to me that it's quite easy to pop the mirror out so it might be easier just to try it like that

Here's the mirror removal procedure : Mirror removal

If you tilt the mirror all the way up, you'll have enough clearance to put a screwdriver in. I saw what needed to be "pushed" in, but I couldn't do anything that way.
Eventually I finally managed to get it out, from the outside...

If you look at the second picture, you can see that on the side where the wires go in the housing, there isn't a clip, but just a piece of plastic that holds the housing up (i'll name it "plastic pin")
If you try and push from that side (meaning from the front of the housing) the clip on the opposite side (the one that i was trying to push in with the screw driver) will bend enough to allow you to force the housing out.
Once the plastic "pin" is out from that side, you can force the housing out by pulling it down. By doing this, you're actually getting the bulb out of the housing (which is what you want actually) and will eventually have the housing in your hand, and the bulb and wire hanging down :)
The reverse procedure is A LOT easier. You just need to put the housing with the pin in first, then push up and the clip on the opposite side will lock once again.

The problem was that on the passenger side the clip broke. (I honestly think that it would have broken anyway if one would have tried to remove it. Anywho, just a tiny bit of superglue holds the housing up now :D

#83 ·
Wow Vlad, that's awesome!! Thanks for documenting the procedure!
So let me get this straight. You push the front tab of the lens towards the rear of the car and the entire bulb housing falls down? Do you have any photos of the lamp housing by itself? Are the lamps the same type (T10 wedge)?
I tried the quick and dirty way of removing the light diffuser (lens) from the footwell to replace the bulb. However, I had a hard time putting the lens back into the housing properly. If its not snapped back into place, the lens falls off by just touching it lightly.

#84 · (Edited)
Yup, all the bulbs are of the same type (footwell, mirrors, dome lights and map lights) :)

Concerning the footwell light diffusers, they're indeed a bit of a pain to put back... You need to make sure that one of the clips is fitted in properly then push the other one in.

As for the mirrors...please be careful :) I already snapped a clip on the passenger side...

Edit: Again, as other users pointed out to me that it's quite easy to pop the mirror out so it might be easier just to try it like that

Here's the mirror removal procedure : Mirror removal

Anyway, this is "exactly" what I did:

1) first I tried pushing it through mirror housing (with the mirror tiled up). The problem with this (i think) is that the screwdriver touches the clip too high (near to where it's on the housing).
Because of this, you need A LOT of force to get this to move and I couldn't do it.

2) The next thing I tried was to get it out of the mirror from the outside. I started with the mirror on the drivers side...
- Initially I pulled from the *back* of the bulb housing (from where the clip was)

- This made the housing drop a bit but just enough to let me see the plastic pin from the front and the wires that were going into the housing

- when the housing was a bit down like this I pulled it from the *front* where the plastic pin was and the bulb and came out of the housing

- finally the housing came out

Hope this helps...but please be careful if you try it my way. I did break one clip :)

#85 ·
Out of curiosity, did you try to remove the mirror glass? I replaced the mirrors on my previous VW. The mirrors were just pressure fitted to a hub using a spring type ring around plastic tabs on that car. It just pops off. Perhaps Volvo is the same way?

Question, After replacing your footwell lights with LEDs, do they stay on a little bit?

#86 ·
Out of curiosity, did you try to remove the mirror glass? I replaced the mirrors on my previous VW. The mirrors were just pressure fitted to a hub using a spring type ring around plastic tabs on that car. It just pops off. Perhaps Volvo is the same way?

Question, After replacing your footwell lights with LEDs, do they stay on a little bit?
I actually didn't try to remove the mirror glass. That probably would have been a much better alternative, but I was scared of screwing something up or braking the mirror altogether.

As for the footwell LEDs they seem to be turning off completely - I mean I can't see any light in the footwell compartment after they turn off -, but I'll remove the diffuser and check the LEDs directly when I get the chance.

#88 ·
Well, VIDA clearly says to pop the mirror in order to get to the light housing - I just didn't know how easy it was to get it out.

I'm going to add a line in my previous post to make sure others know it might be easier to just take the mirror out.

#90 ·
Vlad! Thanks for the most awesome diagrams! You're definitely braver than me! :p
When I tried to remove the lens from the outside, it didn't even budge. You must have used quite a bit of force!! Anyway, I'll try again tonight. Maybe popping the mirror out isn't such a bad idea. ;)

#99 ·
I was going to replace my mirror lights web I did the rest of my car with LEDs. However, I can't seem to ever get them to turn on. I've tried turning the auto-fold mirror setting off, but they still never seem to light. Does anyone else have this problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.