cvvt solenoid/hub assembly
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 35 of 40
    1. #1

      cvvt solenoid/hub assembly

      Hello guys. New to the forum so hello and looking forward to learning from the pros.

      I have a 2005 volvo s40, 2.4i non-turbo. CEL (checked by volvo specialist) showed a fault in the vvt control. I went looking for the vvt valve under the timing belt housing, and can't seem to find it. Only thing that I saw were two round tubes about 3" long that go into the head. One has an electrical connection and the other does not. Would this be it?

      After reading this forum i noticed some people mentioning the noise during startup refering to a failing vvt hub assembly. I'm pretty sure I have that noise, only on startup and sounds like a fast rattle which quickly goes away (not like lifter rattle but similar to those new years eve spin toys that make that really annoying sound)

      Thanks for any help

    2. #2
      That is the new type of solenoid

    3. #3
      Okay thanks.

      Regarding my second question does it sound like I need the hub assembly replaced? Or has anyone seen the new VVT solenoid act up? It looked nice and clean when I pulled it out last night.

    4. #4
      Well last night i replaced the vvt valve or solenoid or whatever you would like to call it and so far it is good. I was throwing a P0026 code and had pretty severe lack of acceleration from a dead start. otherwise the car ran fine. The volvo OEM part number is 36002687 and cost me $120 after core swap.

      Hopefully this info helps others. Good luck

    5. #5
      Junior Member failurbydesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      431
      Quote Originally Posted by motofrk75 View Post
      Well last night i replaced the vvt valve or solenoid or whatever you would like to call it and so far it is good. I was throwing a P0026 code and had pretty severe lack of acceleration from a dead start. otherwise the car ran fine. The volvo OEM part number is 36002687 and cost me $120 after core swap.

      Hopefully this info helps others. Good luck

      Great info, i just had this pop up last night. I have No loss of power (which is good), but im curious of the location and the time it took you to replace it?

    6. #6
      Junior Member failurbydesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      431
      SO i found this site with some info, but still dont know where the part is

      http://www.volvopartswebstore.com/pr.../36002687.html



      I want to say its part 15, but not sure...any help would be nice!

    7. #7
      It's 4# or #6 (which are the same) but there are multiple part numbers so make sure you get the correct one for your VIN? Maybe different between 2.4i or T5? The other part # I found was 30731172 (which may just be a part number change) best to get the correct number from Volvo and if cheaper else where purchase it. All you have to do to replace or physically see it is remove item 10 in your pic and you should be able to see it.
      Should look like this or similar:
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
      Previous rides: (1) (2)

    8. #8
      Junior Member failurbydesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      431
      slrising, Thanks for that info! I will call the dealer and get part asap! Ill post some pictures of the job done too!!

    9. #9
      Quote Originally Posted by motofrk75 View Post
      Well last night i replaced the vvt valve or solenoid or whatever you would like to call it and so far it is good. I was throwing a P0026 code and had pretty severe lack of acceleration from a dead start. otherwise the car ran fine. The volvo OEM part number is 36002687 and cost me $120 after core swap.

      Hopefully this info helps others. Good luck
      Did changing the solenoid also help eliminate the rattle and noise at start up?

    10. #10
      Moderator aldebaran's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Greensboro NC
      Posts
      2,815
      Please report back and tell us if that solved your rattle at start up. I have been trying to track this down for 2 years and no one has any idea. At first I thought it was noisy lifters. It doesn't happen to me at every startup though so it is hard to replicate when I take the car in for it's regular service.

    11. #11
      Quote Originally Posted by aldebaran View Post
      Please report back and tell us if that solved your rattle at start up. I have been trying to track this down for 2 years and no one has any idea. At first I thought it was noisy lifters. It doesn't happen to me at every startup though so it is hard to replicate when I take the car in for it's regular service.
      Is it on R or S40? I know it is from CVVT hubs, i changed them 2 times in last 2 years, but in warmer weather, when engine is hot and car sits (off) for 30 minutes or so, at first start up it makes this noise and then cannot replicate it unless same conditions applies... driving me crazy too.... now the dealer says it might be normal!!!!!

    12. #12
      Member EngTech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Knight's of the Round Table - WNY
      Posts
      7,204
      See If could make a video of that sound -that would be
      A Good one to have on SS
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

    13. #13
      Moderator aldebaran's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2005
      Location
      Greensboro NC
      Posts
      2,815
      Quote Originally Posted by kamiar View Post
      Is it on R or S40? I know it is from CVVT hubs, i changed them 2 times in last 2 years, but in warmer weather, when engine is hot and car sits (off) for 30 minutes or so, at first start up it makes this noise and then cannot replicate it unless same conditions applies... driving me crazy too.... now the dealer says it might be normal!!!!!
      It's on the S40. The sound it makes is exactly like a party rattle and only happens right after the engine turns over, and only for a second.

    14. #14
      Well the car has been fine ever since I changed the solenoid valve, but I cannot say with confidence that was the fix to the rattle problem. I would assume it was though because it hasn't been rattling and I didn't do anything else besides change the solenoid valve.

    15. #15
      Member EngTech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Knight's of the Round Table - WNY
      Posts
      7,204
      Another Interesting Point is the Different in Part Numbers - Which Get Me thinking - what If the Focus RS is Running a slight Variation Difference in Cam Exhaust Over Lap or Also Benefits from a
      Wider Range on the Exhaust Valve justifiability - I did see an Article some where a Master Tweak-er Modded his VVT allow for more Exhaust Exit Time .
      Last edited by EngTech; 08-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

    16. #16
      Junior Member failurbydesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      431
      Quote Originally Posted by motofrk75 View Post
      Well the car has been fine ever since I changed the solenoid valve, but I cannot say with confidence that was the fix to the rattle problem. I would assume it was though because it hasn't been rattling and I didn't do anything else besides change the solenoid valve.

      This is where it's at right? Which one is it...i had a the P0026 code while back and it went away in a day so i did nothing..came back yesterday...ugg




    17. #17
      Member EngTech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Knight's of the Round Table - WNY
      Posts
      7,204
      OK I - didn't check the code , but what You asking about the Solenoids Location . are under part #10 as stated .
      In Your second Picture - under that , but pc. sometime won't come off or hangs up without Loosening the other Hardware in Your Top Blue Area , and Removing the 2 left ones in the Gray area of same Photo .
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

    18. #18
      Member EngTech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Knight's of the Round Table - WNY
      Posts
      7,204
      So was it read - down to the Volvo - Break down to see If it was a : Permanent fault , Intermittent fault or Activated too long - Please explain as to How & which One ?

      P0026 is Intake & P0027 is Exhaust
      Last edited by EngTech; 08-14-2011 at 07:22 PM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

    19. #19
      Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      See If could make a video of that sound -that would be
      A Good one to have on SS
      Here is a video i could capture of the noise i hear on my XC70:

      http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13133811041841

      It make the noise when engine is hot and the car is off for 30 minutes or so, after many trial and error and a lot of $$$ spent, The mechanic changed the CVVT hubs 2 times, but again the noise is back after a year, it really happens in warmer weather, now he says its normal and all volvos do that!!!!

      pls let me know if anyone had any experience with this, it drives me crazy, and it is intermittent so difficult for mechanics to diagnose it...
      Last edited by kamiar; 08-14-2011 at 11:06 PM.

    20. #20
      Quote Originally Posted by motofrk75 View Post
      Well the car has been fine ever since I changed the solenoid valve, but I cannot say with confidence that was the fix to the rattle problem. I would assume it was though because it hasn't been rattling and I didn't do anything else besides change the solenoid valve.
      Was the rattle audible at all start ups? or when engine was hot and sat (off) for sometimes like 30 minutes or so?

    21. #21
      Junior Member failurbydesign's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Location
      Las Vegas
      Posts
      431
      Last edited by failurbydesign; 08-14-2011 at 08:57 PM.

    22. #22
      Quote Originally Posted by failurbydesign View Post
      Whats funny mate? the noise or video?

    23. #23
      I think the smily was because the link you posted doesn't actually link anyone other than maybe you vs his takes you to the video you had intended to link to us? Car sounds like a desiel, I'd say that's not a normal sound for Volvo's as mine doesn't make that noise.
      2009 V50 T5 AWD GT: Work in progress: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5)
      Previous rides: (1) (2)

    24. #24
      Quote Originally Posted by slrising View Post
      I think the smily was because the link you posted doesn't actually link anyone other than maybe you vs his takes you to the video you had intended to link to us? Car sounds like a desiel, I'd say that's not a normal sound for Volvo's as mine doesn't make that noise.
      Sorry... my bad.

    25. #25
      Quote Originally Posted by slrising View Post
      I think the smily was because the link you posted doesn't actually link anyone other than maybe you vs his takes you to the video you had intended to link to us? Car sounds like a desiel, I'd say that's not a normal sound for Volvo's as mine doesn't make that noise.
      About the noise, its only the first 1 second and only if engine hot and then sits for 30 minutes or so, after the first 1 second, its smooth and no noise...

    26. #26
      Quote Originally Posted by kamiar View Post
      Was the rattle audible at all start ups? or when engine was hot and sat (off) for sometimes like 30 minutes or so?
      For me it was not every time. If I remember correctly it was a similar problem like everyone else, when it was hot and sitting for 30min. As for the part I replaced, it was the lower picture that failurebydesign posted. My car only had one though, where the other was just a removable plug.

    27. #27
      on the non turbos with only intake VVT check the o-rings on the blockoff plate over where the exhaust reset valve would be...this is very common to cause noise and code.
      also the o-rings on the reset valve are very sensitive...check them carefully.

    28. #28
      Junior Member Rocky SDS 09's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2009
      Location
      Colorado Springs
      Posts
      655
      Did you guys ever experience misfires as a result of a fault solenoid?
      ROCKY SDS MOD'D '05 S40 T5 AWD M66 WWW.REVVOLUTION.COM

      My Revvolution Profile

    29. #29
      Quote Originally Posted by garbergtsi View Post
      on the non turbos with only intake VVT check the o-rings on the blockoff plate over where the exhaust reset valve would be...this is very common to cause noise and code.
      also the o-rings on the reset valve are very sensitive...check them carefully.
      Mine is a XC70, where is the o-ring you are talking about?

    30. #30
      Member EngTech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Knight's of the Round Table - WNY
      Posts
      7,204
      First , I have Noticed that - Old Oil or possibly 5000 miles on a Filter seems to affect the VVT in T5's . So Fresh Oil and Clean Filter = VVT working at Optimum !

      In Your Vech.
      It really just sounds like the Solenoid is not Holding the Oil Up - during - Shut Down's as Your Oil
      would be very thin , and is draining back . ( Could be due to a O-Ring as Mentioned )

      I'm Thinking Sludge is hanging these Solenoids Up and Or Partially Blocking the Screens and other Small Oil Orfices are Full of Crap , so that Lowers
      ( Available Oil Supply to the VVT ) .

      I have Kept My : Oil Passages - Inside the Motor very Clean with Marvel Mistery : http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/
      A Wash Out is 4-6 Oz. to Oil for 50-100 miles , then Drain - New Filter and Refill ! - - ( If Motor is really Dirty and has Lots of Miles then 8 Oz. & 100 Miles Min. )

      I don't have any Idea how common this is - First I have heard of it . I Know some of Our PVC Issues were - taken care of by keeping Internal Motor Clean.
      Last edited by EngTech; 08-15-2011 at 11:07 AM.
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

    31. #31
      Quote Originally Posted by kamiar View Post
      Mine is a XC70, where is the o-ring you are talking about?
      I think you are in the wrong forum...this is for P1 S40/V50's.....

      and no the XC70 does not have that part.

    32. #32
      Quote Originally Posted by garbergtsi View Post
      I think you are in the wrong forum...this is for P1 S40/V50's.....

      and no the XC70 does not have that part.
      Thanks, i noticed that i am in S40/V50 forum, but the noise and symptom are very similar, XC70 also has 2 CVVT and 2 solenoid...

    33. #33
      Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      First , I have Noticed that - Old Oil or possibly 5000 miles on a Filter seems to affect the VVT in T5's . So Fresh Oil and Clean Filter = VVT working at Optimum !

      In Your Vech.
      It really just sounds like the Solenoid is not Holding the Oil Up - during - Shut Down's as Your Oil
      would be very thin , and is draining back . ( Could be due to a O-Ring as Mentioned )

      I'm Thinking Sludge is hanging these Solenoids Up and Or Partially Blocking the Screens and other Small Oil Orfices are Full of Crap , so that Lowers
      ( Available Oil Supply to the VVT ) .

      I have Kept My : Oil Passages - Inside the Motor very Clean with Marvel Mistery : http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/site/mmo/
      A Wash Out is 4-6 Oz. to Oil for 50-100 miles , then Drain - New Filter and Refill ! - - ( If Motor is really Dirty and has Lots of Miles then 8 Oz. & 100 Miles Min. )

      I don't have any Idea how common this is - First I have heard of it . I Know some of Our PVC Issues were - taken care of by keeping Internal Motor Clean.

      Thanks, i will try cleaning the solenoids and see if that helps, I also noticed a fresh oil makes it better, some at XC70 forum suggested a higher viscosity oil like xW40 is better for summer...

    34. #34
      Member EngTech's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      Knight's of the Round Table - WNY
      Posts
      7,204
      Kamiar :
      I don't Know about Cleaning the Solenoids - I'm referring to of Crap in Older High Mile Motors having an Impact on these Parts and the CVVT - plus Screens going to Oil Pump etc.
      Lowering the Oil Pressure . I'd start with a really Clean Motor in Your case as it's a On Going Issue , then I'd try some Lucas Syn Oil Booster - in Hot weather .
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

    35. #35
      Quote Originally Posted by EngTech View Post
      Kamiar :
      I don't Know about Cleaning the Solenoids - I'm referring to of Crap in Older High Mile Motors having an Impact on these Parts and the CVVT - plus Screens going to Oil Pump etc.
      Lowering the Oil Pressure . I'd start with a really Clean Motor in Your case as it's a On Going Issue , then I'd try some Lucas Syn Oil Booster - in Hot weather .
      Thanks, what product you suggest for cleaning the motor? i hope i can get it in Canada!

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast