HU 613 upgrade to aftermarket HU
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

HU 613 upgrade to aftermarket HU

I have been researching this for a few days and I would appreciate some further guidance. What I have, a 2002 XC70 with a HU 613. What I want? iPhone use and ideally bluetooth calling.

Now, I like to tinker and have done a prior aftermarket install on an older VW. I know a little but still need a lot of info. A double DIN install with a slick large LCD display would be cool.

Some of my questions:
      1) Is this even worth it? Should I just install a iMIV and call it good? What are people's thoughts on the iMIV?
      2) If I get a double DIN HU to replace, will I also need an amp?
      3) What does it entail to enable the steering wheel controls - CANBUS type install?
      4) Pictures! Please show your own aftermarket pictures.

I'm sure I'm missing other considerations, what are they?

I like how the Pioneer AVIC-X920BT (http://www.crutchfield.com/s_130AVIC....html?tp=20222) has Pandora support among other stuff.

Like I said I've been reading a lot of forum posts and searching. If I'm missing the obvious please point me in the right direction. If this is simply too big of an undertaking I will wait 2 years or so until I can hopefully upgrade to a new car..

I had the iMIV in my V70 and I just didn't like it. I really wanted more control over the ipod than it provided. I just finished replacing my HU a couple days ago with a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and I couldn't be happier. I didn't get the bluetooth version, but they do have a version with BT built in. This HU also has expansion for Nav, Sirius, and HD radio, along with full ipod control built-in. I also did not bother with the steering wheel controls. I hardly used them to begin with so it's no big deal for me to not have them. You can get a Dietz CANBUS adapter for it if you like, but I've heard they're getting hard to find. Maybe somebody else can help you with that if you really want it. I am currently using the amp in the Pioneer HU to power all the speakers with exception of my sub, which I am using an external amp for. I must say that the sound from the factory speakers with the Pioneer HU is MUCH improved over the Volvo HU. Will sound even better with good aftermarket speakers. Overall, the install is pretty straight forward. Here are a couple pics of the HU.

2006 V70 2.5T, Ice White
      1998 V70 GLT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by acveka View Post
      What I want? iPhone use and ideally bluetooth calling.

Some of my questions:
      1) Is this even worth it? Should I just install a iMIV and call it good? What are people's thoughts on the iMIV?
      2) If I get a double DIN HU to replace, will I also need an amp?
      3) What does it entail to enable the steering wheel controls - CANBUS type install?
      4) Pictures! Please show your own aftermarket pictures.

I'm sure I'm missing other considerations, what are they?
      1. If you are getting rid of the car in two years it might not be worth the hassle (both installing now, and removing to stock later). The iMIV is a quick and easy solution. The new one (iMIV/available in Dec) will support the iphone natively too.

2. Most HU have a built in amp, so you may be fine without the external. Usually they are 4x50W but some have 4x75W. 4x75W is more than sufficient for the Volvo speakers.

3. If you want to retain steering wheel controls the Deitz canbus reader and wire harnesses will set you back about $250 shipped. It also gives you reverse signal and speed signal (handy for GPS).
      Apparently they are carried in your country by Perezan Auto Radio (610) 734-1234.

4. Took out my former aftermaket hu and went back to the iMIV, and swapped in a Volvo HU-803. Quality is far better than the 613 and no more worries about break ins.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD / iPD 25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / sport body kit / Heico Volutions / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / CFE / Anodized gauges /etc.

Thanks to both ss60 and wagonman06, this is just the type of feedback I'm looking for!

wagonman06, your setup is just what I had in mind, looks awesome.

ss60, the theft part is definitely worrisome if I add a brand spankin new HU.

iMIV

So I see that iMIV is currently not selling and is due to ship sometime in Dec.

Any insight on finding a used iMIV vs. waiting for the next release to ship?

Quote Originally Posted by acveka View Post
      So I see that iMIV is currently not selling and is due to ship sometime in Dec.

Any insight on finding a used iMIV vs. waiting for the next release to ship?
      You could buy mine . I'm moving on to the newer version so we can use our next gen ipod (expected to receive for christmas). The version I have also does video out for ipod photo and first ipod classic 80/160. It does not however do video out for iphone/ipad/and newer ipods without a different cable than the one I have.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD / iPD 25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / sport body kit / Heico Volutions / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / CFE / Anodized gauges /etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wagonman06 View Post
      I had the iMIV in my V70 and I just didn't like it. I really wanted more control over the ipod than it provided. I just finished replacing my HU a couple days ago with a Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD and I couldn't be happier. I didn't get the bluetooth version, but they do have a version with BT built in. This HU also has expansion for Nav, Sirius, and HD radio, along with full ipod control built-in. I also did not bother with the steering wheel controls. I hardly used them to begin with so it's no big deal for me to not have them. You can get a Dietz CANBUS adapter for it if you like, but I've heard they're getting hard to find. Maybe somebody else can help you with that if you really want it. I am currently using the amp in the Pioneer HU to power all the speakers with exception of my sub, which I am using an external amp for. I must say that the sound from the factory speakers with the Pioneer HU is MUCH improved over the Volvo HU. Will sound even better with good aftermarket speakers. Overall, the install is pretty straight forward. Here are a couple pics of the HU.

Which dash kit is that? Looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
      Which dash kit is that? Looks pretty good.
      It's the Scosche VO4152B kit. I got mine off eBay for $30. I was really pleased with how well it matched.
      2006 V70 2.5T, Ice White
      1998 V70 GLT (sold)

interesting. i heard bad things but that looks acceptable to me. I was wondering if it was the Metra, which I've yet to see a photo of.

ohhh the lights
      2013 Buick Regal 2001 V70XC-M66 1998 C70 GT
      Unquestionable faith is the Epitome of Ignorance - me

Anyone have a photo of the metra '05+ kit?

I'm going to be disconnecting the factory head unit for the first time tonight, but would like to keep the unit operational in case I ever have to put it back in. Are there codes of any sort on these units? If so, are there any steps I should take to avoid needing a code?