S60 T5 cranks but won't start
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

S60 T5 cranks but won't start

My car has ran fine for the first month since I bought it, but now all of a sudden I went outside in the afternoon to head to work and my car just cranks, not even a sign of it firing. First instincts told me to run to the tailpipe and smell for fuel, which I smelled none. Used some starter fluid in the intake and she fired right up... for a few seconds at least. I checked for pressure after cranking at the schrader valve on the end of the fuel rail, nothing there, so I swapped out the fuel filter. Still nothing, but I have fuel dripping out of the rail a lot more now. <-- Important to note that I can hear the pump priming after key is turned to accy. sounds a bit louder than normal but that may just be me.

So does anyone have any insight? I'm calling Volvo tomorrow about this fuel pump gasket recall, because after being told I was ineligible, I read that all 2001-2004 S60's titled in states including VA are eligible, but I need to be able to drive it there! I'm desperate for help, I've been driving my 1989 Golf, which I don't mind, but she is sans heat at the moment, clogged heater core :-(.

Yup, sounds like a fuel pump problem. Check the fuse for ****s and giggles, though.

Do you have enough gas in the tank?
      No joke.

How would the car have gotten home?

These cars can run until the tank is dry, but dont always start with only one or two gallons in the tank. Ask me how I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Paysts View Post
      How would the car have gotten home?
      hahahahaha DeJaVu .... park the wife's car on the driveway with near empty tank and let her idle when going to bed ... then blame her in the morning :P
      really happend, I and friends were driving home with all petrol-stations closed at that hour, then someone mentioned that and so it happend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika View Post
      Ask me how I know.
      Fuel-lines got clogged with dirt? then you tank at dirty-petrolstations .... I tanked + 69 liters in my 68liter tank once and a few times +67liters (that is after topping up after the 1st stopping of the pistol).

@cressida_slide:
      tried a different key? if problem only is with 1 key the chip is gone.
      Could also be the key-ring. Engine will turn/crank but NO ignition.
      Last edited by JARMO; 11-26-2010 at 11:14 AM.

It's not dirt. It's just the geometry of the pickup lines and the reservoir in the tank. When driving the fuel sloshes around, but when parked in a certain angle the pickups don't reach the gas anymore.

I'm not saying it necessarily out of fuel but it's very easy and cheap to eliminate before starting to look for fuel pump issues or something else that costs money

Where is the fuel gauge currnetly? If below 1/8 of a tank, put in at least 5 gallons and try it again.

There are more that a few posts here where a car was very low on fuel, but was running until it was turned off and then would not restart. In pretty much every case, adding fuel (and not just a gallon) fixed the "problem"
      totally stock.. honest

Haha ok guys. So the gauge was saying that I had just above the red, which I've driven on many times before, actually it was a dash mark above. After calling the dealership and aligning a date for this fuel pump recall, I figured if that didn't fix it I'd worry about it from there. So it gets towed there, they replace the pump, noticing that there was really no gas in the tank! The sending unit was off by quite a bit, and after replacing both items, I'm as good as gold again. Thanks everyone for your insight into the matter, and for the common recomendation to add gas... Sometimes it's the simple things...

Ha ha, told ya!

Classic.

Where is that bang head icon when you really need it
      totally stock.. honest