Clunking Noise from Front End
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Clunking Noise from Front End

Just picked up a 2007 CPO XC90 V8 Sport. My wife and I love it but we have noticed there is a "clunking" sound (you and even feel it a little in the steering wheel) when turning at very slow speeds in drive and reverse. The dealer claims this is the brakes moving around a bit and is normal.

Anyone else experience this noise? Is it normal?

Our 04 had clunking issue when moving forward and turning the steering wheel. The dealer found that both front seat springs were broken and they were the cause of this. Had both replaced and the noise is gone. The seat springs are a weak point on these cars. Ours also had a broken upper motor mount which I had replaced as well.

I do not believe it has anything to do with the brakes. The only time the brakes (rear) have made a noise is when I have not driven the car for a few days after it has rained. When we release the parking brake the rear pads will momentarily grab the discs as if they are stuck to them. After 2-3 feet everything is fine. This used to happen on my Nissan as well when using the parking brake.

Not knowing your situation I think the dealer might be brushing this off since your car is a CPO...if there is something wrong they might have to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by napster View Post
      Our 04 had clunking issue when moving forward and turning the steering wheel. The dealer found that both front seat springs were broken and they were the cause of this. Had both replaced and the noise is gone. The seat springs are a weak point on these cars. Ours also had a broken upper motor mount which I had replaced as well.

I do not believe it has anything to do with the brakes. The only time the brakes (rear) have made a noise is when I have not driven the car for a few days after it has rained. When we release the parking brake the rear pads will momentarily grab the discs as if they are stuck to them. After 2-3 feet everything is fine. This used to happen on my Nissan as well when using the parking brake.

Not knowing your situation I think the dealer might be brushing this off since your car is a CPO...if there is something wrong they might have to pay for it.
      I think you are referring to spring seats and yes they are certainly worth checking out. If the noise is the pads shifting then no, that ain't right either. There certainly is some embarrassment issues with the dealership if there is something wrong with the vehicle after just passing it's CPO inspection. Financial repercussions to the dealership? May explain their reluctance to dig further.
      1998 S70 T5, DEH-80PRS, PDX-F4, PDX-M6, AR3K, L6SE Carbon, Vanadium 12", PWK designed box, Pilot SS on Peg, WRG2 on Perfo, IPD bars.
      2006 XC90 V8, AVH-4000NEX, PDX-F4, PDX-M12, Vanadium 10", PWK designed box. Flowmaster, Vibrant & Magnaflow custom exhaust, Falken FK453 CC on Ronal RT, Scorpion Verde on Camulus, IPD bars. 2011 S60 T6, She won't let me, Pilot Sport A/S 3, IPD bar.

Definitely "abby-normal". I can't imagine why a dealer would claim it's 'normal'..... Seat springs, steering rack, rear bushings on lower coontrol arms, oh let me count the ways.........

If you can search the archives, I posted an indepth summary of what Volvo did for my 2007 3.2 XC90 due to popping sounds in the front in when making slow turns like backing out of the drive way or slowly turning around a corner. From what I can remember they replaced some bushing but eventually had to redrilled suspension mounts to get the popping sound to stop.

I now own a 2010 XC90. . This car would make popping sounds when you backed up or turned and applies the brakes. This initially we thought it was due to the suspension popping due to weight transfer on the front end when applying the brakes. the dealer replaced the front shocks and various other front end parts to no avail. The factory sent out a bulletin this year, that the popping sound was from the front brakes. The dealer then made adjustments to the pads, and brakes and the popping stopped.
      U.S. Supreme Court Justice, Louis Brandeis, 1928 wrote this farsighted warning:
      "Experience should teach us to be most on our guard to protect liberty when the
      government's purposes are beneficial. .... The greatest dangers to liberty
      lurk in insidious encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding."

I was just at the dealer for the same issue. My brakes "creak" and "grind" when I am turning right and braking at the same time, but not when braking and going straight. The dealer told me that it is the brake pads fault. Supposedly Volvo updated their pads to include a sound dampner....but not for my model...WTF? So I am thinking about changing to some aftermarket pads and hope this goes away.

Also, I would get a pop when turning and reversing. They are changing some bushings and larger bolts in the control arm. Fingers crossed.

J

I've had many different repairs done on my XC90 for low speed maneuvering noises but not springs seats (yet) and mine is at 130K Km.
      Common causes are tie-rod ends, control arm bushings, lower engine mount, etc.

This link is to the S60R forum but very similar if not identical to what you'll find in the XC90.
      http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...olice-and-Taxi
      Scroll down and you'll see lots of pictures and there's also a TNN.

Your best bet is to find a better service department.

LTA
      2006 S60R 6MT BlackSapph/Atacama, Ferrita3"DP/EST-Catback/BMC/CustomCAI/A-Mist/18"PS2/NAV/iMIV/22mmRearSB/TME Springs (installed, finally! )
      2005 XC90 2.5T - Loaded family hauler
      Gone: '02 S60T5 5MT, '96 850T Wagon

Nope they blamed everything on the brakes...time for a new shop.

What kind of milage did you have when this problem started? My dealer told me it was a bushing but post replacement the problem consists. They don't seem to be able to nail it down and fix it, very frustrating!!!!!

It took two visit to dealer to fix this problem, mine is MY07 3.2. Dealer replace the following parts:

31304040 bushing
      999403 flange screw
      985660 flange lock nu
      30793286 bearing bushing
      8678497 bearing bushing

Dealer install chassie ear to determine where the noise coming from

Found the following:
      Rear Sub frame bushing making noise

I had to Google "Chassis Ear" because I had never heard of it before. I'm having a "why didn't I think of that" moment. Or more to the point why don't the dealers offer this more often?

My bet is on the front wheel bearings and probably coming from just one side. See if you hear the noise turning both left & right or just one side. Since it's CPO, you should ask the dealer to check.

XC90 front end popping

Ok first post and I hate it to be a negative one, but just had my left tie rod replaced by dealership on 08 XC90 6cyl AWD and dealer covered part and install,but would not cover re-aligning it under warranty and charged $120.00 for it. Main reason I am upset is because I just purchased it CPO 7k miles ago and it had new tires and alignment as part of the certification. Im not dishonest, and if it needed align,ent I might pay, but this is only due to the repair process. any thoughts?

Mine had similar issues on this type of noise and feel over the steering.
      Changing the end links helps, adjusting the steering tie rod eliminated steering free plays but not the noise and feel you menrioned.
      The Mechanic mentioned he opened the shocks top cover from the engine bay and tightened some bolts further - when I picked up the car this seems to have solved the problem.
      LightAngel ~ Volvo S60R 6Speed GTA, XC90 V8 R-Design 6Speed