Replacement of trunk lid torsion rods - help!
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Replacement of trunk lid torsion rods - help!

The trunk lid on my 123GT couldn't stay up hence have purchased 2 new torsion rods thinking this to be a quick fix -not! Have finally managed to wrestle the old torsion rods out with considerable effort and more than once getting fingers stuck in between .

Have now managed to get the new torsion rods in position within the hinges and the suports but find it impossible to have them fitted to both the latches and the supports without the genune risk of either wrecking the car or my self. Have consulted the Heynes workshop manual and the Volvo sparepart catalouge but just can't work it out. Is it really necessary to dismantle the lid and the hinges completely

The tension on the torsion rods must be quite extreme so not even sure how to fit the hinges again with the torsion rod in position. If any of you have tried this before and can provide some tips/information this would be highly appreciated.

Best regards,
      John

This is a tense moment indeed - lemmee go google...

http://www.rudydo.com/volvo/Volvo_122s_Trunk.jpg

George Dill

Thanks George - have been googling myself as well but so far without finding the answer. Not even on the Swedish Amazon club forum do they seem to know.

Nice picture by the way.

John
      Last edited by LevinES; 01-15-2011 at 03:59 PM.