SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

S60R/V70R Engine Oil: What's the best?

104K views 110 replies 34 participants last post by  Beck 
#1 ·
Title says it all. I've been using Royal Purple thus far. About to hit 81k miles and due for an oil change, and I'm contemplating whether I should switch over to AMSOIL or go with Mobil1 (cheaper than both oils where I live). What do you guys use and what do you think is the best oil for the money/protection/performance etc?

#2 ·
I run mobil1 5w-30 synthetic. I am about due for my second oil change but have had no issues in about 5kwith it. Level has not dropped so oil burn is minimal from what I can tell. I may switch to amsoil as my brother may be able to get it a bit cheaper, but very happy with mobil1 in this and other cars. My brother has been running amsoil in his Toyota Tundra for several changes and really likes it.

#3 ·
This is the Amsoil oil I was planning on using: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/asl.aspx

15,000 mile service interval, and its $9.15/quart. The initial investment might be costly ($55 in oil w/o shipping), but many of us use Royal Purple or Mobil1 every 5k miles. In those 15k miles, the price to do 3 oil changes can range well above $100 easily (especially with RP prices).

#6 ·
My brothers co worker is a dealer, or dad is or whatever..... I know he gets the 5w30 for 6 bucks a qt. and just stops at the guys house to pick it up. That is the only reason I am considering it.

My issues with going so far on service is the filters used on the R. The manual says to go 7500 with regular oil, but even that feels a bit much to me. I have always been told run synthetic in turbo motors and given the filters plan to stick to the 5000 mile rule. I guess you could change the filter during that service interval if you don't mind getting a bit messy and then adding a qt or so for what would be lost. I get mobil1 locally for just over $7 and if my brother can double his normal order for amsoil I will make the change, if not mobil1 it is.

#8 ·
I have read and remember my brother doing that when he switched. I am pretty sure her ran if for 10k and changed it. Then another 10k and sent in a sample which showed it was still good and had all kinds of info/stats that I didn't bother reading. either way he likes it and now runs 10 -15k between changes.

#9 ·
If anything, I might use their OE 5W-30 ( $5.50/qt) w/ the Mahle filter. Emailed them regarding the service interval of the OE oil (doesn't state it on their product page like the rest of the oils).

#10 ·
I have a new Mahle filter if you want it. Pretty much any reputable brand synthetic will do it. Castrol, M1,Total, Royal Purple, Amsoil(better than Royal). Change the oil after 5-6k miles, not worth to run in past that milage.

#11 ·
I'm picking up some Mobil1 from my cousin in a few min and a filter. Might sell it/return it if I change my mind and switch over to Amsoil. I don't think its worth getting the "black label" Amsoil (the 35k mile/ 1 year recommended oil change), simply because like you and TJM said, the Mahle probably wont last past 5000-7500 and continue to filter contaminants efficiently. Paul I think you should store that filter for that SonicKap R :)

#29 ·
2nd that! +++

#14 ·
I was going use 10W-30 synthetic when I first got the car because our summers easily exceed 90+ degrees and 5W-30 is good up to 86 degrees. Ended up following the owners manual and went through with 5.

#15 ·
Does any company make an aftermarket filter (fitting the P2R cars) which lasts longer than stock filter to enable these extended oil changes? Is it just a matter of a "longer length" filter for us w/same diameter?

#17 ·
If you have an Advance Auto, they are usually a few bucks cheaper there.

Randy: I have never seen an aftermarket filter for extended length, but places like Rockauto and ThePartsBin have a awesome deals on filters. You can get Bosch or ACDelco for around $6. Fram is around $9. It works out if you buy them in bulk.

#20 · (Edited)
I would just order the OEM filters (Mahle) from IPD. If you buy in bulk they're 10 for $45 + shipping or $4.95 each + shipping if bought individually.

http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?s...Parents=127,382&P_ID=581&CAT_ID=382&V_ID=1252

IMO, extended drain intervals don't make sense on a high output turbo engine, but if for some reason I wanted to run super long drain intervals, I would just switch the filter half-way through and top off the oil to make up for what was lost in the filter change.

FYI, based on Adykes filter testing, the ACDelco and Bosch filters are identical and are of higher quality than the Fram, which is identical to the K&N and Mann filters. Actually, the Fram and K&N filters are just re-packaged filters made by Mann.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?112718

#18 ·
Matt - I understand what you're saying. What I'm trying to figure out is if there is a good match between use of a high-grade extended oil (say 8K-10K miles+ between oil changes) matched with an extended life filter, so one doesn't have to get under the car and change a filter 1/2 way thru the serviceable life of the engine oil. Only thought I had would be a longer filter (more surface area than stock) with same diameter for proper fitment...

#21 ·
It is all personal preference, like Coke or Pepsi. The only way to decide what is best for you is to have a used oil analysis (UOA) done and go from there. Newer SM oils have lower levels of anti-wear additives compared to the SL categories - but you have to do your research and become informed.

When I had my R, I used GC 0W30 (you can not go wrong with a 0W30 year-round!) and ran it 7,500 miles between changes with the OEM filter. The UOA showed that I could have gone much longer - and I did not granny-drive by any means. If you change synthetic oil at lower mileage, like 2,500 - 3,000, you are just wasting your money.

All that being said, I run Mobil1 High Mileage 5W30 (SL) in both my '03 Cobra and '03 Aviator even thought they both have low miles on them! Better levels of anti-wear additives and conditioners...

#23 ·
I'm at 140K miles. The engine absolutely purrs. Stil has great get up and go. Other expensive components are failing left and right. I have used only the standard non-synthetic oil the dealer puts in. I cut the 7,500 recommended interval in half (usually). R people tend to love to write about their cars; the bad and the good. They like to talk about their cars; the bad and the good. Are there any documented engine failures caused by using standard oil at 7,500 miles intervals? I am thinking Audi/Volkswagen sludge problem. I have never read a post on SS where someone blamed an engine failure on standard oil. Do I think it is likely that using full synthetic will extend engine life? Yes, it probably will. But if that extended life means getting 300,000 out of the engine instead of 200,000, what's the point? I see no reason why my engine will not last until 200,000 or more. Not so sure the rest of the car will. What percentage of people here will buy and keep their cars past 200,000 miles? Even past 100,000 miles?

#24 ·
To my knowledge, there are no documented cases. The few engine failures (oil related) were because of the oil pump failing (happened on my '01 T5). We use the synthetics for added protection because most of us are neurotic fools who love our cars too much ;)

#25 ·
+1 and guilty of being a neurotic fool. I am running synthetic just because I was always told too when it comes to a turbo motor. Plus I do all my own changes so the extra few bucks a quart doesn't mean anything compared to the piece of mind. Plus I have run synthetic in other cars, my brother does in his truck and my father in his 2500 chevy diesel. All of them run smoother and the diesel saw better mileage after the switch. so to each their own but I don't see me ever running the extended life oils based solely on the mahle filter.

#26 ·
IMO, Mobil 1 is a poor choice for those of us who choose to tune and run the R engine to it's limits. It will eventually shear and fail to provide upper cylinder wall, ring, valve guide lubrication. An ester based oil like Motul 300v is the best choice for engine longevity.

#35 ·
I use AMSOIL 0w30. Go on their website and pay the $20 and become a preferred customer and the $10.50 a qt. for the 0w30 becomes $8.10 or something. But it's a good savings when you do 2 changes a year for 3 cars.

#41 ·
Amsoil emailed back and so did IPD. According to IPD, they suggest running 5k mile oil intervals with the volvo/mahle oil filter. Amsoil sent me a list of tests in their reply which is listed below. Enjoy!

Hi Jay,

Thank you for contacting us.

AMSOIL AEF Flush has been developed with many years of research and development. AEF is probably the safest engine flush that you can use to clean the engine (or transmission). Just add one bottle of AEF to the engine oil before the oil change and let it idle for 15-20 minutes. Drain the oil hot and replace new oil and filter (do not drive with AEF in the oil).

AMSOIL makes 4 oils in different price points for the 2004 VOLVO S60R 2.5L 5-cyl Engine Code [52] B5254T4 Turbo

Maximum Performance Signature Series 0W-30 100% Synthetic Motor Oil (SSOQT)
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/0w-30-Signature-Series-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-SSO.php

Maximum Performance SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (ASLQT)
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/5w30-sae-motor-oil-asl.php

Performance Plus XL 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (XLFQT)
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/5w30-xl-synthetic-motor-oil.php

Performance Synthetic 5W30 OE Motor Oil (OEFQT)
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/oil-and-filters.php?product=oef

For the wholesale price list please refer
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/private/confidential-price-list.php

To buy wholesale please add preferred customer program to your order
Refer: http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/preferred-customer-zone.php

AMSOIL outperforms Royal Purple, please refer
http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/dyno-test.php (scroll down for Wear Metal & Horsepower Test results)

Products for Palatine, Illinois will be shipped factory direct from our Chicago, Illinois distribution center. Preferred customers can pick up products directly from the warehouse (not open for public). To set up your PC account please visit http://www.worldsbestoil.ca/amsoil/preferred-customer-zone.php. After registration (within 24 hours), we will email your account details & the warehouse address.

Contact us if you should have further questions.

Sincerely,

Sales & Support
www.worldsbestoil.ca

#50 ·
That is all the typical marketing material that Amsoil has been sending out for years. Nothing new.

The 5,000 mile "recommended" interval is only one opinion among many. YOU have to decide what interval is best for YOU based on YOUR driving conditions. That is one of the reason a UOA comes in handy. Changing a good synthetic oil at low intervals is a waste of YOUR money. I could have easily gone 15,000 miles on GC 0W30 and even Amsoil recommends long intervals with a filter change in between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.