SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Anti-Skid Temporarily Off

69K views 64 replies 25 participants last post by  MvI_S60R 
#1 · (Edited)
Morning gents, daily morning drive and near the tail ends of the drive. This message pops up. Didn't hit anything, was cruising at 30mph at the time.
The ABS light is on, and the yellow exclamation on the dash.

Tried restarting the car and the error still won't go away. Any ideas?

#2 ·
COuld be a pressure sensor in the rear end. If you have snow on the ground a connector might have go a little moisture in it. But worst case its DEM or ABS module.

#3 ·
Most likely it's the DEM, sadly.

#7 ·
Ahh could be, I forgot there are two similar messages like that. I don't remember which I saw when my DEM went (three years ago).

#6 ·
ahh, i have been so caught up in anti skid land with my other R that i didnt think about the speed sensor. It would turn on the abs light but i do not know if it will give you a message.

#9 ·
Ok, new symptoms on my drive home today. I turn on the car, and "Anti-Skid Temporarily Off + ABS Light" comes on. Nothing new.

I drive for 10 secs and both errors go away including the messages and exclamation.

I then drive for a good 30 mins, all of a sudden 2 new messages "Brake Assist Failure" "ABS/Anti-Skid Service Required". I can't clear those. If I stop and restart the car, it's Anti-Skid Temporary Off again and dissappears. I'll see if I can trigger the more serious 2 errors..

wtf is happening? I might bring it into the dealer tomorrow.

#10 ·
I have no informantion to add other than this exact thing is happening to me right now too. My collar is stripped so no AWD. These messages pop up randomly then disappear. When they pop up the car goes into limp mode. I am also getting a check engine light sometimes. Money is tight for me so ive not fixed it yet. I would apprecate knowing whats wrong and how much its going to take to fix it. :) I miss parking lot dounuts.
I know it could be DEM but if the awd isnt working would it throw codes?

#11 ·
I get the anti-skid and chassis settings messages whenever I make a hard left turn. With all the snow, I haven't been able to pull the wheels, but my guess is that there is a loose connector, because I can clear the messages by turning off the engine and restarting. Must be just a partial connection fault causing this.

#12 · (Edited)
Morning gents, daily morning drive and near the tail ends of the drive. This message pops up. Didn't hit anything, was cruising at 30mph at the time.
The ABS light is on, and the yellow exclamation on the dash.

Tried restarting the car and the error still won't go away. Any ideas?
I am almost certain that your problem is that a 13 or 14mm bolt has backed out enough on your front wheel behind the center cap. Or are you missing the center cap and the bolt is gone? Anyway check this, It is exactly what happened on mine. Tighten to spec, but do replace ASAP with a XC90 bolt on both front. If it is not the axel bolt, then the DEM needs to be repaired. Based on your second description, check those axel bolts. Also, if those bolts are loose or missing, it will certainly trigger an ABS light. There is a sensor that the bolts keep tight.

#26 ·
I had this too. in addition to the ABS light kicking on in very gradual turns at highway speed, I also had annoying axle ping when disengaging the clutch in 1st gear and starting to roll. The original S60R recommended service was to "cement" the bolts into the axle, but along the way, some bright volvo techs realized that the XC90 bolts with the poly squash bushing accomplished the same thing AND were removable, unlike the original fix.

#13 ·
Car is at the Dealer now. Getting slapped a $400 labour charge. :( Anyway, tech is saying it's a ABS sensor failure that's pulling up on the rear bearings. However, it could be Speed sensors as well.

So just to make things clear for future reference, Anti-Skid errors don't mean it's DEM automatically.

#14 ·
Car is at the Dealer now. Getting slapped a $400 labour charge. :( Anyway, tech is saying it's a ABS sensor failure that's pulling up on the rear bearings. However, it could be Speed sensors as well.

So just to make things clear for future reference, Anti-Skid errors don't mean it's DEM automatically.
Wow! That seems high for a diagnostic fee. That ABS sensor is easy to get to. I am just shaking my head. Good luck, sorry.

#18 ·
Hey, so no parts required?
Nope! But I did have him check my brake booster as well as the BCM. So a bit of labour charge there I couldn't get away with. Ron, if your at Volvo Villa for whatever reason, go to Andrew Humphreys. He's definitely a straight up A+ tech and won't give any crap, infact, he'll get you out of some...

#17 ·
Very cool! Buy the tech a gift certificate to a steak house! Awesome fix!

#23 ·
Any update on this?

My 2004 is having same intermittent messages. Something different with mine: A few times recently when leaving a stop, the DSTC has kicked in and cut all power so I sit coasting along waiting for the power to come back.

Today I pulled the front wheels to look at the speed sensors and both front were kind of scraped on the bottom in the direction of rotation, then looking at the speed sensor gear with a flashlight, it looks like probably 1/3 or so of the teeth look white indicating the speed sensor is making contact? Does this sound normal?

Also, I didn't see much debris in or around the sensors, and everything was good and tight.

Does anyone know how to test my sensors to make sure they are good, before replacing each one or taking it in to the shop?

Much thanks.

#21 ·
DevolvR, Hey I was just wondering, Are those axle bolts okay?

#22 ·
i just had my car looked over and my issue seems to be the toothed gear thingy that the wheel speed sensor actually reads. sorry for the highly technically description but i forgot what it was called. I am told that rust/debris built up behind it and destroyed it.
So this faulty part caused the RF wheel speed sensor to go crazy which screwed w/ everything. ABS, Traction control, Cruise, etc.
I dont have the car back yet but the explination seems to make sense. Hope it helps you!

#25 ·
So much of these errors have subsided, but they pop up once in a blue moon(once every 20 drives or so). I'm going to go DIY on this once it gets warmer and check all the sensors and give them a good cleaning, and check if there are any loose plugs, bolts or things that look out of place. I'll be installing SS lines as well so I'll be getting quite intimate with the suspension/braking system so i might spot something.

Just to answer ari, yes the axle bolt is tight...

#28 ·
So much of these errors have subsided, but they pop up once in a blue moon(once every 20 drives or so). I'm going to go DIY on this once it gets warmer and check all the sensors and give them a good cleaning, and check if there are any loose plugs, bolts or things that look out of place. I'll be installing SS lines as well so I'll be getting quite intimate with the suspension/braking system so i might spot something.

Just to answer ari, yes the axle bolt is tight...
Bump for this. Curious have you gotten to the bottom of your previous issues DevolvR?

My car actually just went a little haywire which is the reason for bringing this thread up. There was an anti-skid temp off displayed while parked before leaving for lunch and then Chassis Service required also upon the next startup. Haven't had time to do the usually of checking the bolts and sensors but I just completed a 1000 mile trip coming back from Carlisle PA on Sunday and had no problems during or since. When it came up on the display I wasn't really worried but I laughed out loud (LOL). Car also read 101F in the parking lot so I think that had something to do with setting the senors off...we'll see!

#29 ·
I used to get the anti-skid service required message every once and awhile, but it didnt effect the car at all. My mechanic told me it due to the brake pressure sensor. He cleaned the connections and its been gone since but he said itll probably need replaced in the future.

#30 ·
I've been surfing this forum nearly every day for the last 6 months for no reason really than to correct this issue. Although there are several people with these or simular symptoms, no one seems to have narrowed down the cause.

From my research, it always just comes down to people (and the dealers) guessing it's the DEM, ABS module/sensors, loose axle bolts, and speed sensors. Unfortunately, I like most, don't have the money to throw at changing out all of these sensors blindly. Tightening the axle bolts don't seem to do anything. If anyone has fixed this issue, and isn't just guessing, PLEASE help us out. Everything I've read on the internets suggests that dealers are even more clueless about the cause that I.

Here's a refresher on what MY symtoms are:

--Car starts with ABS light on and "Anti-skid temporarity off'' already on. (I'm still able to scroll through mpg/avg mpg/miles to empty tank/etc)
--Car chokes out at more than about 5mph for 5 to 30 seconds (limp mode?)
--Car sometimes makes an electronic/mechanical noise like the transmission is trying to figure out what's wrong.
--Message changes to "ABS/Anti-skid service required" and limp mode goes away. I can now drive the car normally.
--Anywhere from 5 seconds to 5 minutes laters I get a red brake light above the ABS and a new message that says "brake failure, stop safely" although this doesn't ipare the vehicle in any way. (This locks me out from scrolling through mpg/avg mpg/miles to empty tank/etc)

I have a full brake fluid resevoir so I also don't think this is a bad slave as I've also heard people throwing ideas about.

Anyways, been like this for 6 months and about 10,000 miles. I'll just continue to drive it this way until either someone posts the correct fix, or my car explodes. Both would be equally awesome.

#31 · (Edited)
I think I fixed mine yesterday but I need more drive time to figure it out. From what I have surmised "Anti-skid temporarity off' is due to front (maybe rear?) sensors that are messed up or out of range in some way. Continual driving with the same re-occurring msg will trip the "Chassis System Service Required" which is the msg I got only once. After straightening my front sensors I've taken 2 drives and had no issues or faults so far.

flanimal, My issues seem to be a bit different from yours and I suspect there is more going on with your car.

- Not sure on the limp mode, no issues here. If limp mode is tripped I would think there should be a Volvo specific code related to that issue that would not throw a CEL.
- The electronic/mechanical noise you mentioned is the ABS. On Gen1 cars when the module is failing and you hit a bump that noise will occur as the tracs and abs light comes on. My guess is the same thing with your car and the issue is ABS module related.

I would get your codes read through VIDA at your earliest convenience. Even if it is at a dealer get the codes pulled and decline all service they recommend, if you know what the codes are you should be able to take care of it on your own time...minus software updates.

#32 ·
I would get your codes read through VIDA at your earliest convenience. Even if it is at a dealer get the codes pulled and decline all service they recommend, if you know what the codes are you should be able to take care of it on your own time...minus software updates.
Yeah, I've been meaning to forever, but I have to take the whole day off work to do so as they aren't open on the weekends. I have nearly 50 paid days off acrued I can use, but my work load currently doesn't allow me to.

#33 ·
QUESTION:

If I remove the ABS module (BCM?) to have it rebuilt will the car be crippled or can I still operate it? On my previous cars I could disable the ABS, but I'm worried that because this one communicates with the ECU that I can't.

#34 · (Edited)
Ok, update. Seems like this may be related to Steering. When I take corners more aggressively, this happens + after a cold wet morning or a car wash, this happens more often.

I googled this some more, and this looks like a YAW sensor failure, apparently the sunroof drain gets clogged and the water runs down below the passender seat to cause corrosion on this sensor, it's located underneath amp. Going to tear up the amp and take a good look, apparently if you search yaw sensor, it's a common problem on all P2s.

#35 ·
Mine turned out to be a wheel speed sensor. My rear bearings were going bad and the little white bushing came loose, causing it to spin and bounce around while I was driving and actually cut into the sensor. I replaced both the bearings and the bad sensor. Instant fix with no symptoms since (about 3 months now).

#36 ·
I was having similar symptoms Anti-skid Service Required and Brake Failure stop safely warning and after a couple of unsuccessful software upgrades and checking the cooling fan on the ECM the dealer ended up replacing the Brake Control Module. No problems since then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.