2004 Volvo S60 R - Problems and cost to fix
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

2004 Volvo S60 R - Problems and cost to fix

So my Dad apparently has been driving my car while I'm at school and crushed a pot hole the other day. He bent the front passenger wheel. Apparently he's been driving it for a while now, I don't go home that often, and when he took it to the shop it also needs its rear wheel bearings to be replaced and the all wheel drive system has failed.

Any idea on what it would cost to fix all of this as the Volvo dealer gave us a huge price tag that I can really afford right now ($5000).

I think I could do the bearings myself so do you know any good sites to order them from?

I definitely need some help to shrink this bill.

Wow, that sounds pretty high unless there are other items requiring repair/servicing.

Perhaps if you can be more specific regarding AWD failure, you might get better answers.
      2004 V70R - GT. Titanium on Nordkap. Mostly stock with a little extra oomph

Depending on what part of the AWD failed (Angle gear, sleeve, DEM, etc) it can range from $400-$2000 just for that fix. If you have pegasus whees they would be about $200-$300 depending on 17" or 18". The wheel bearing shouldn't be too bad. You should start by finding out what part of the AWD system failed though. But it shouldn't be $5000 unless they are replacing the transmission or something lol.

Tascaparts.com has the cheapest OEM parts around. I would check there.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium/Gobi -05 Center Console - IPD HD Poly Transmission Mount - IPD R Kelly CAI - IPD R Boost Gauge Sold
      Climate Control Bulb Replacement
      Reverse Light Switch Replacement
      04 to 05+ Console Swap

Tasca Volvo Parts will get you the best price on OEM parts.

AWD failures are common but you will need to know what the problem is. Most often it is the stripped spline sleeve. ~$150 in parts and few hours in labor. Angle gear(transfer case) is also a common problem that would cost around 2k to fix, but you can buy a used unit in the $400-500 range and replace it yourself in a few hours. The last case for AWD failure is the electronic module for AWD (DEM), that fails due to heat from the exhaust. New module is over 1k IIRC but one could be rebuild by an electronic repair shop or a used unit that would need to be recoded.
      2005 Volvo s60r Black Saphire/Nordkap MT, PhMIC, iPd DP, Heico Exhaust, Volutions, Trak Spec F&R Sways, IPD Stage 2, R Kelly Intake , SS Brake Lines, HD Coils, Viva forge CBV, R Boost Gauge , Strut Brace, GROM Aux Input, CB Radio....
      2001 BMW 530i Alphine White
      2004 Volvo s60r 6MT Black Sapphire/ Nordcap Sold and Missed 11/20/09

I would let your dad figure out the details with the single wheel and the AWD failure. Bearings are easy but will run you a little bit of money for all four. As others have stated a wheel will be within a certain range but fixing the awd could range from a $400 sleeve replacement to possibly needing a new tranny or angle gear
      2006 Ti SR 6MT - In CMOD_R's driveway.

1984 242 Ti 4sp - Has moar power than Vio's Mom.

Guys thanks for all the great information. I am gonna go home this weekend and figure out what parts I need. You've all been extremely helpful and I definitely appreciate it.

Also, since you had the dealership do a diagnostic, post what items were included in their $5,000 estimate. That will give folks a better idea of what exactly is the problem causing the AWD failure.

For that price, im guessing, they are planning to replace the Angle Gear. Usually the dealership will not be the cheapest place to get a repair done but sometime it is the best place depending on the difficulty.
      2004 V70R - GT. Titanium on Nordkap. Mostly stock with a little extra oomph

Quote Originally Posted by R6surfer3 View Post
      So my Dad apparently has been driving my car while I'm at school and crushed a pot hole the other day. He bent the front passenger wheel. Apparently he's been driving it for a while now....
      I think it's time to sit your Dad down and have 'The Talk".

+1 on what everyone has said about the AWD. I would also search for a local rim repair shop and get a second opinion on fixing the rim. It's amazing what can be fixed.
      GL - Ron
      2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs

Remember a dealer is usually $100/hour labor, and if ALL that (new wheel, bearings, AWD) is being done by the dealer; $5k sounds reasonable considering the dealer's labor rate plus parts plus tax.

Take Tasca's pricing on parts and ask your dealer to price-match to earn your business. Hopefully that'll save you a pretty penny, but get the cost breakdown from the dealer first before trying that approach.
      2010 XC90 V8 Executive Pearl White/Anthracite Black
      Luxury Pkg/Multimedia Pkg/Climate Pkg/RSE/back up camera/power folding mirrors

The dealer may be replacing unnecessary parts as well. If you have a stripped collar sleeve (and nothing else) they might replace the angle gear because that was part of the initial diagnoses.