Blinking red light on the dash...Car alarm
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Blinking red light on the dash...Car alarm

Does anyone know what the function of the blinking red light on the center of the front dash is? I noticed that after locking the door, the light blinks for about 5 minutes, then stops. I did not order the security system with the car. Interestingly, though, I opened the door (unlocked overnight in the garage) this morning and an alarm started going off which shut off after I pushed the unlock door button on the remote key fob. Does every XC-90 have some type of alarm? If so, then what's the security package?

Re: Blinking red light on the dash...Car alarm (chind)

Every XC90 comes with an alarm system, and the blinking red light is telling you it is activated.

The security package enhances the alarm system by including a motion sensor for the interior of the vehicle, in addition to other items such as laminated glass. Don't lock your kids or pet in the car - one wrong move and they'll set the alarm off.

Re: Blinking red light on the dash...Car alarm (sfbayguy)

Quote, originally posted by sfbayguy »
      Don't lock your kids or pet in the car - one wrong move and they'll set the alarm off.

There is a switch in the panel to turn off the internal movement sensor for just that possibility.

However, it is a bad idea to lock kids (or pets) in any car. Temperatures inside a parked car can easily get into the 100's (~37+ degrees centigrades) which can cause dehydration and possibly death.

2005 S60 2.5T AWD
      2004 XC90 T6 AWD

Re: Blinking red light on the dash...Car alarm (sfbayguy)

Thanks for the info. Does your red light stop blinking after about 5 minutes or is my system no longer active, and hence, defective?