SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Electronic Throttle Body Calibration (How To:)

104K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  adsinnott1 
#1 ·
Hey SS I have been meaning to post this for some time but in light of seeing all the problem threads I thought I would share... I usually do an electronic throttle body calibration every 6 months or so. It is super easy and the first time I did it the car was a different machine...

Step 1: Turn ignition to position two and wait... You will hear the calibration process take place within about 30 seconds or so. Wait until the calibration finishes turn back to position 0 wait 5 seconds and then start vehichle with a freshly calibrated throttle :)

Reactions: andrewpparry
#2 ·
#3 ·
Due to the nature of ETM's, if the TPS sensor is not perfectly aligned or the potentiometer resistance changes slightly; which does happen over time, the throttle position will be off a bit. That means that the response will be different and that the reported position won't be the actual position.

Handy to know that the Volvo ETM's can be recalibrated without needing any special stuff.

#5 ·
with Vida you can do a sweep test at the same time to actually see what the resistance values are for the 2 sensors in the ETM. if they vary more than 13 degrees, you get to buy a new throttle body :D

#6 ·
If the sweep test is 13 degrees or more, Volvo will buy the new ETM, unless, like me, you are out of warranty time and mileage, then the owner buys it. At that point, Xemodex here I come. I actually had an ETM replaced with a 3 degree sweep error, but it was erratic and had all the symptoms of a bad ETM. Factory rep made me a deal, he'd replace it with an new one, and if that solved the problem, then it was on him for warranty, if it didn't work, then I paid labor. My dealer mechanic said this was a no brainer, since he's seen many fail with less than the required 13 degree sweep result, and replacing it fixed my problems. I figure I still have a bit of time before this one pukes and I get it replaced. Fortunately, I have a core already to send to Xemodex. Also, this only applies to '99 to '01 turbos, and up to '02 NA engines so the '04 - '07 "R" cars don't have to worry about this. After '01 or '02, Volvo finally replaced that miserable Magnetti Marelli unit with a Bosch one. Only good news is the same MM unit was used in Ferrari's and Xemodex cost for those is several times the cost for a Volvo one.

#7 ·
why would it need to be recalibrated? Did you remove it and clean it or something?

I remember one time i had to recalibrate a friends 03 sentra spec-V after putting a new engine in it, whatta pain in the arse.

#10 ·
why would it need to be recalibrated? Did you remove it and clean it or something?

I remember one time i had to recalibrate a friends 03 sentra spec-V after putting a new engine in it, whatta pain in the arse.
Over time the alignment and accuracy in which the throttle position is actually at in relation to where it was when new will begin to differ. It is just like getting your tires aligned or balanced... Over time they get a little thrown off just because, this helps it to function at it's peak ability.

#8 ·
Yep my '01 is in that same boat. I'm at 113k miles on the original ETM and also original transmission *gulp* and so far so good.

#13 ·
Tried this and absolutely nothing happened. All I could hear was (what I think was) the headlights buzzing every 5 seconds or so. Tried it several times, all with the same result.

#14 ·
yep, I did it just now. Clicks happen at about the 20 second mark. There's about 3 clicks and then it's done.

#15 ·
Same here, nothing happened.

#18 ·
This is probably a waste with the new Bosch's. The older ETM's before 2004 had huge problems, but the Bosch's are pretty good. I did extensive research into this about 4 months ago when trying to figure out my leakage numbers on Vida. In fact, I would just chalk this up as someone telling me they got better performance after resetting power to the ECU.

#20 ·
Absolutely nothing mechanically. The affected ETM's are in the 90's-2002. If you want to do a real improvement on the TB, then go spend 6 dollars on a TB gasket, pull it, clean it and reinstall it.

Like this:

#21 · (Edited)
Guys, hello.
New here.
Got a 2007 XC90 V8.

I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it.
Re-installed...
Yet when I put the key in position II, the throttle body "buzzes".

The calibration procedure in Post #1 did not remove the buzz/click.
Is it time for a new Throttle Body?
The thing is never " still"... it just buzzes and clicks all its waking life.

EDIT: Sorry guys... I just realized this isn't the XC90 section.

#22 ·
Guys, hello.
New here.
Got a 2007 XC90 V8.

I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it.
Re-installed...
Yet when I put the key in position II, the throttle body "buzzes".

The calibration procedure in Post #1 did not remove the buzz/click.
Is it time for a new Throttle Body?
The thing is never " still"... it just buzzes and clicks all its waking life.

EDIT: Sorry guys... I just realized this isn't the XC90 section.
Buzzing is your brake booster. It's suposed to do that. Not your etm. I replaced mine and no calibration was necessary just let the car sit in position 2 for about 5 min them idle for about 5. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.