66 Volvo P1800 Custom Build ( Pro-Touring Ls1 V8, Body Mods, and Flush Mount Glass) - Page 7
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
      Here are some pictures of the 14 inch Wilwood Drilled/Slotted Rotor and 6 Piston Caliper kit.. The other 11 inch Drilled/Slotted Rotor is an upgrade also, which will be considerably less. The kit comes standard with the 11 Smooth Rotors.

I will have some updated pictures of the complete Front end kit later this weekd.

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 06-08-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Here are some pictures of the Crossmember/Suspension components.. I will Post some more pictures when it if fully assembled.

This is a DIRECT BOLT IN KIT....

I have been getting emails about some more pics of the Crossmember, here are a few more.. I am waiting on the tie rod ends and another ball joint for the bottom, so I can complete the other side.

Before I get comments on ball joint and geometry questions, keep in mind there is no LOAD on the suspension.. Once the load is on, there geometry and ball joint position is just right..

Here are a few pictures with both sides together and a wheel installed.. I am getting ready to put it in place today, and double check the motor mounts..

The only question I have is how much would you charge if I brought my 64 1800 to you for restoration and updating? I'm dead serious. I'm not looking for a corvette engine but a V6 or I4 would be fine. Are you interested and could you do it by the end of the year?

Quote Originally Posted by 64pvolvo1800 View Post
      The only question I have is how much would you charge if I brought my 64 1800 to you for restoration and updating? I'm dead serious. I'm not looking for a corvette engine but a V6 or I4 would be fine. Are you interested and could you do it by the end of the year?
      Feel free to give me a call anytime... This is the exact reason I am building the front and rear units as direct bolt in's... I am planning on offering a Re-Badged Volvo Amazon and P1800 with the best of everything possible.. They will be sold as completely redone and revamped cars. On motor options, I would still recommend the LS series V8, you dong have to be at 500 horse.. There is a great 350 Horse LS1, and the fuel economy is better than the orignal Volvo.. ha ha

Robert Jackson
      Diversified Auto Group
      Classic Auto Glass Innovations
      580-263-0454
      Classicautoglassinnovations.com

Here are some pictures of the crossmember installed.. I am taking for alignment tomorrow.... The used wheels I got a deal on, arent quite the correct offset.. Damn it.. I am thinking I am going to drop to 18's...

Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 06-30-2011 at 10:55 AM.

The car pictured above has the 2 inch drop spindles, which shows the extreme it can be set up at.. There is enough suspension travel and alignment capability to set the car on the ground.. With the Standard Spindles, you can get back to factory ride height...

Ok here is an announcement.. I have had too many people asking me what is going on, and why I am working on these Early Model Volvo Components, so here it is.. This is the reason for the components I am working on...

As you all know I have moved forward with the front suspension kits, and they
      are on the Market now.. The interest has been high, and the interested have
      stepped up for purchase. We have a few Major Volvo Parts Dealer's (You may be
      Surprised Who) that have picked up the suspension lines. The rear kits will be
      available in about the next 30-60 days, I will post info and picks later.

There has been alot of interest in other products that we are working on, and if
      the same interest is there, I will put them on the market also. I would also
      like to know what else you guys may like to have available.. I am not looking to
      do reproduction parts, I am looking for updated parts or features.

Here is what we are working on at this time.

UNIQUE SUSPENSION SOLUTIONS Will Offer...

Front Suspension kit: is done, and on the Market

Rear Suspension kit: will be on the market shortly, and will include 3
      variations.

First: A rear Coil over conversion kit, that will bolt to the Volvo Body and
      rear end, and it remove the original Coil Springs and shocks.. This kit will
      give you more ride dampening control, along with ride height control. It will
      also eliminate the typical rear suspension sag.

Second: A complete new Rear End Assembly.. This is a Mod Light Ford 9in rear
      end that is a direct bolt in.. It can use the factory coil spring and shocks,
      but will give Gear Ratio Options, Traction Options, Brake Options, and be alot
      more durable with plenty of parts support.

Third: A bundle of both packages for the best of durability and Adjustability.
      The coil over kit is made to work with both the Original Volvo Rear end and the
      New Design rear end we will offer.

CLASSIC AUTO GLASS INNOVATIONS Will Offer....

This company will be offering Flush Mount Windshields and Back Glass's. These
      kits will remove the need for the Rubber seal that leaks and causes rust out.
      Plus it gives the car alot cleaner look, with less bulk from the rubber.

SWEDISH SKUNK WERKS Will Offer....

This is a new company that is working on new products on several fronts..
      Swedish Skunk Werks will be offering Restorations and Restored Vehicles for
      sale. These vehicles are not Original, they will only be built with the
      products stated above and below. We will have two levels of car:

A Resto-Mod version.. This car will appear original in appearance parked or
      going down the road. However, it will not be original in
      drivetrain/Suspension/Comforts. They will be a General Motors LS Series Based 350 Fuel Injected Horsepower with a Performanced Based and Durable 5-Speed,
      and higher fuel economy than the original Volvo Platform.

A Pro-Touring Version.. This car will appear to be a bit different, with some
      slight body mod's and clean ups. Flush Mount Glass Kits, A General Motors LS6 Series Engine at 500+ Managable (Daily Driver and Economic)
      Horsepower, A performance Based and Durable 5-Speed, the best of the Adjustable Suspension and Large 14 inch brakes all
      the way around. They will only come in certain colors with certain badgework.
      They will have some Unique Options in Performance and Comfort, that the
      Resto-Mod version will not offer.

SWEDISH SKUNK WERKS is working on these items as we speak..

A working direct bolt in AC/Heat unit.. Swedish Skunk Werks has joined with
      Vintage Air to offer a quality package. This unit will be compact and more
      efficient than the original add on.. If you are running the original motor, it
      will take less effort to operate it.

New Updated Gauges. These guages will now be electronic, but they will be a
      direct replacement to the original. The speedo will use a GPS signal, so there
      will be no need for calibrations for tires, gears, ect. They will be original
      in appearance, but we will also offer some classic Resto-Mod look guages as an
      alternative.

Direct Bolt Power Windows.. These kits will eliminate the cable regulators that
      the cars currently have, and replace it with a quality power window regulator.

New Interior Panels... We will have direct replacement door panels and other
      interior panels.. These will be retro, but they will be updated in materials and
      appearance. They will also offer the Power Window option and the standard crank
      option. Also working on direct replacment seats with Headrest.

So there is what is in the works, and just like the Suspension Kits and other
      products I have done for other vehicles, these products will happen for my
      builds.. Now the only thing is, is there enough interest in these products to
      set them up for Mass Production? Let me know if you are interested, and do let
      me know if there is something out there you would like me to see if we can get
      it done..

Thanks

Robert Jackson
      DIVERSIFIED AUTO GROUP
      Unique Suspension Solutions
      Swedish Skunk Werks
      Classic Auto Glass Innovations
      580-263-0454
      Classicautoglassinnovations.com

Congrats, and thanks for the update.

Currently in the market for 122, so glad to see that these types of quality products are available.

Good luck in your endeavors!
      '63 122 2dr, Daily Driver...(SOLD)
      '74 142, Driving Project

Quote Originally Posted by John Douglas View Post
      ...Currently in the market for 122...
      Good show!

Consider starting a thread here...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...220-(1956-1970)

...or here...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...hp?39-Want-Ads

...and we will go shopping for your Amazon!

George Dill

Quote Originally Posted by gdill2 View Post
      Good show!

Consider starting a thread here...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...220-(1956-1970)

...or here...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/forumdi...hp?39-Want-Ads

...and we will go shopping for your Amazon!

George Dill
      Working on the Logo and Website as we speak... I sponsor other forums (Not Volvo at this time), so I will sponsor this one also... My retailers that are signing the contracts, already sponsor this website, but I will do the same for sure. I really dont have to have you point these things out, and if the Moderator or Mangagment of this forum has an issue with it, I havent heard. I am sure they are monitoring my threads and what I am trying to do, and that it is something that is in the works and being refined. I have contacted them also, and dont need you cluttering up something you are not even interested in.. You dont have to read the threads, and trust that I have my affairs in order...
      Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 06-25-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamtheonlyreal1 View Post
      Working on the Logo and Website as we speak... I sponsor other forums (Not Volvo at this time), so I will sponsor this one also... My retailers that are signing the contracts, already sponsor this website, but I will do the same for sure. I really dont have to have you point these things out, and if the Moderator or Mangagment of this forum has an issue with it, I havent heard. I am sure they are monitoring my threads and what I am trying to do, and that it is something that is in the works and being refined. I have contacted them also, and dont need you cluttering up something you are not even interested in.. You dont have to read the threads, and trust that I have my affairs in order...
      Huh? Seems like the response doesn't match the quote. Maybe I misread something? Not trying to add drama just curious. Liking the build. Adding Volvo products is great!

Quote Originally Posted by nonhog View Post
      Huh? Seems like the response doesn't match the quote. Maybe I misread something? Not trying to add drama just curious. Liking the build. Adding Volvo products is great!
      Oh, that is because there is a bit of history with this with the same person. He was jabbing at a discussion we already had to make his presence known.. My first post on here was to promote my Project Changling build, to get feedback on it from the Volvo Community. I was then contacted by members here and elsewhere to make mulitiples of parts like the front suspension and other things, so I tried to find resources for them.. It turned out that I couldnt get the company's to support it as necessary, so I decided to take it to the next level, because the interest and demand was there. So, now that I have been phishing for Ideas and feedback on the products, because I am trying to make sure they work for everyone, without hurting myself financially, he wants to chime in like I am doing something wrong.. Once I have my business model up, and my advertising in affect, I will promote and advertise properly.. Right before this point, I didnt have a viable product at all, so there was no need for .com's or advertising..

I really like what you're doing, and I think it's brilliant. I've been saving money to purchase a CTS-V wagon in about a year and a half -- but I'd rather stay Volvo if I could.

I think I'll wait and see your final product, and the final price. If I could get a Pro-Touring 1800 (I'd prefer a 6-speed manual) for my jollies, and a used V70R to haul the kids in, for less than the cost of a CTS-V . . . then I think I'd much rather do that, and you could be hearing from me.

Have you looked into what you'd need to do as a auto "resto-manufacturer" in order to allow banks to be willing to finance your cars? I don't have tens of thousands laying around, so financing would be a necessity for me to purchase a complete car from you.
      Lee,
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT, Platinum Gray/Titan Black (his)
      2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG, Tempest Blue/Cornsilk Beige (hers)
      1974 164E

Quote Originally Posted by R Salesman View Post
      I really like what you're doing, and I think it's brilliant. I've been saving money to purchase a CTS-V wagon in about a year and a half -- but I'd rather stay Volvo if I could.

I think I'll wait and see your final product, and the final price. If I could get a Pro-Touring 1800 (I'd prefer a 6-speed manual) for my jollies, and a used V70R to haul the kids in, for less than the cost of a CTS-V . . . then I think I'd much rather do that, and you could be hearing from me.

Have you looked into what you'd need to do as a auto "resto-manufacturer" in order to allow banks to be willing to finance your cars? I don't have tens of thousands laying around, so financing would be a necessity for me to purchase a complete car from you.
      I will definitely cross that road when I get there... I have a few guys that can get that done for me. It is a bit of a chore, since the value of the cars arent as high as what I will need to get. I will have to set some kind of precedenct with prior sales or restorations to show what the potential value is, along with detailed appraisal and parts break down. My 68 Camaro I had appraised and sold did 125,000 dollars, eventhough the Classic NADA Value wasnt there. When you start playing in this area as the consumer, it really just matters what relationship you have with your personal bank.. There are other Classic Car finance Groups like Hagerty's that will do it at a bit of a higher rate, but they offer something like 20 year financing.. LOL

Here are some pictures of the first round of the Rear End works.. It is a very
      solid and heavy duty housing, but weighs less than 80 pounds minus the gear
      set.. It looks larger, but the actual pumpkin housing is about an inch bigger,
      which translates to a 1/2 lower clearance position...

I am still working on the final mounting plates, but this will give you the idea
      of the quality that is going into it... It will accept the General motors
      Calipers with the Emergency Brake feature with a 11 inch brake rotor...

These rears are also the largeer 31 spline quick change axles, and the gear set
      will offer any gear ratio and traction option you could need.

Nice work. Given that the cars for which you are making these modifications are liable to be driven "enthusiastically," did you put baffles at the inboard ends of the axle tubes?
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."

Quote Originally Posted by John2x240 View Post
      Nice work. Given that the cars for which you are making these modifications are liable to be driven "enthusiastically," did you put baffles at the inboard ends of the axle tubes?
      There are inner axle seals that press in right at the axle openings of the 3rd member that will keep the gear oil from running up the axle tubes.. It will keep all the gear oil in the pumpkin area during manueuvers.. The Hub bearing are lubricated with wheel bearing grease, and does not depend on the gear oil in any fashion... So yes, that issue is addressed.. ha ha

As always, let us know when it's ready and been tested a bit! Very interested/excited.

Just wondering why your using the quick change style axle / hub and not the standard "flange" type. Is it a weight issue? I would think the standard type would be less expensive but maybe not Just curious I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nonracer View Post
      Just wondering why your using the quick change style axle / hub and not the standard "flange" type. Is it a weight issue? I would think the standard type would be less expensive but maybe not Just curious I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.
      I am using this style for a couple of reason... Weight, the hubs are aluminum. And ease of service down the road or track.. With this set up, I can take my track cars out, and if I have any issues at all, I can swap parts with ease and or change my gear ratio for what ever reason I see fit... Sure it is a bit more, but from my experience it is always best to just go all the way at the beginning, that way you are less likely to say "why didnt I step up on that option" ha ha
      Last edited by Iamtheonlyreal1; 07-06-2011 at 12:00 PM.

There are inner axle seals that press in right at the axle openings of the 3rd member that will keep the gear oil from running up the axle tubes.. It will keep all the gear oil in the pumpkin area during manueuvers.. The Hub bearing are lubricated with wheel bearing grease, and does not depend on the gear oil in any fashion... So yes, that issue is addressed.. ha ha
      Hmm. Inner seals ... nice fix.
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

Quote Originally Posted by John2x240 View Post
      Hmm. Inner seals ... nice fix.
      Tested and approved for years.. LOL

No doubt, but not on any of the old used cars that I could afford.

Here is an update of the rear end mocked up in the Amazon body.. I have some New Design Adjustable Aluminum Rear End Links and Panhard Bar being manufactured for this application, and for a stock arm replacement package. The custom link kit will directly bolt to the body and factory rear end assemblies also, which will help with replacement bushing issues for the factory links. This will also allow for all the possible adjustment I need, and allow this rear end assembly to go in all the models of Amazons and P1800's. This is mock up mountint is with the factory springs and shocks, to show that it is a direct replacement for the factory rear, but we also have a Coil Over Spring Conversion kit to eliminate the original coil springs and shocks. This will allow for better vehicle set up, and will also eliminate the pesky suspension sag these cars are plagued with.

These rear end assemblies will be offered in several packages.. Just the Floater rear end assembly that you can install any 9in ford carrier you may have.. A complete unit with carrier assembly already installed, and with your gear ratio and traction specs. With or with out the Coil over conversion. The links will be offered seperately for people that want to use them with the factory rear ends, but will have to be purchased with the New Design rear end assembly for ease of install.

Along with the gear ratio and traction options, these assemblie have numerous brake options up to 14 inch brakes. The pictures below, show the base level kit with general motor calipers. These calipers do have an emergency brake application, so nothing is lost there.

Hello
      I would like to ask you some questions about your build and one I am planning. I have always loved the style of the P1800, and you are right they were underappreciated. I saw you wanted to do the 2JZ swap but decided against it due to room and fitment issues. I was wondering if you knew the wheelbase and track of the P1800. I want to fit the P1800 with a Mitsubishi Evo 8 drivetrain and suspension. My other project is a 1963 Austin Mini Cooper converted to a rear wheel drive with a 1994 Mazda RX7 rotary Eng. I wanted your opinion on the all-wheel drive conversion and I would really like a little more details on your body mods. Thanks for your time

I would be happy to answer any quesitons you may have.. I dont know the wheel base off the top of my head, but the track width is 54 inches... I am actually changing my track width to 56 inches with the the optional rear end we offer. We have the 54 and 56 inch track width rear end kit, for these applications. I couldnt advise about the transplant you are considering, but I dont like to cut the whole body structure out of the car to transplant it on another completly new platform. That is why I am offering direct bolt on supsension and transplant kits.

As far as the body mods, just let me know what details you need to know.

Any updates?

It's been almost a month! That's a long time to sit here salivating.....

Quote Originally Posted by junglejimbo View Post
      It's been almost a month! That's a long time to sit here salivating.....
      Ha Ha... Alot of work going on behind the scenes... Which will cause another full and rapid update process.. We have a custoemr build that we are getting ready to start a build thread on . Project Saint Marie will be showcasing all of our components and options, but will appear to be factory, a true sleeper project, but is bieng build for the Better Half of the couple for a normal driver.

steering rack

The car pictured above has the 2 inch drop spindles, which shows the extreme it can be set up at.. There is enough suspension travel and alignment capability to set the car on the ground.. With the Standard Spindles, you can get back to factory ride height...
      have just discovered your amazing work and artistic talent. i must have one of your front crossmember setups and will work towards that. a couple of questions if i may and i apologise if you have answered this before. what car does the rack come from and what is the steering ratio compared to the original box . i have read of others going down this road and have had issues with the ratio being too slow with too many turns lock to lock and on the other hand of the ratio being too fast with the resulting steering being too twitchy. have you driven your car yet and how has the handling changed? i have put 1800e rear ends in both my 1800 and amazon and am hanging out to see your coil over kits for the rear. great work, cant wait to see what comes next

Quote Originally Posted by qf021345 View Post
      have just discovered your amazing work and artistic talent. i must have one of your front crossmember setups and will work towards that. a couple of questions if i may and i apologise if you have answered this before. what car does the rack come from and what is the steering ratio compared to the original box . i have read of others going down this road and have had issues with the ratio being too slow with too many turns lock to lock and on the other hand of the ratio being too fast with the resulting steering being too twitchy. have you driven your car yet and how has the handling changed? i have put 1800e rear ends in both my 1800 and amazon and am hanging out to see your coil over kits for the rear. great work, cant wait to see what comes next
      Yes I have driven a Amazon with the kit installed. The steering racks are Mustang II 20 to 1 , and a Later Model Mustang GT Rack that is 15 to 1. Twichy steering doest not come from the steering ration necessarily, it comes from poorly setup suspension geometry. The feel of the suspension is more of a later model car, it isnt boat like aor swaying anymore. If I had to compare to a type of car, it would be between a later model corvette and bmw. The ease of steering effort comes from removing additional components and joints, and these kits steer with 8.5 wide front wheel with easy one handed steering in parking lot manuevers.

thanks for your quick reply. sounds good. my cars are right hand drive and what specs would you have to change to suit me? also keen to see your vintageair setup as well.

Quote Originally Posted by qf021345 View Post
      thanks for your quick reply. sounds good. my cars are right hand drive and what specs would you have to change to suit me? also keen to see your vintageair setup as well.
      We have right hand drive setup, so no issue.... I am also set up for international shipping...

First of all. Amazing build! On probably the best looking Swedish car ever produced! And probably the Only Volvo I could ever see myself owning (Said by a swede who actually doesn't like Volvo at all! except the P1800 )

Nice to see more people taking the P1800 to where it should be! The B18 engine was perhaps not the best thing they put into that car... Something alot sportier would prob. have made it more popular!

Anyways, I don't know if you have seen Leif Tufvesson's P1800ES? Somewhere in the back of my head I think that the vox rendering were created as inspiration for his build, and the interior in that car, especially the dash, might give you some inspiration aswell! I.m.o. Tufvesson's dash looks perfect!

Here's a build thread of that car: http://www.gatbilar.se/forum/viewtopic.php?id=10116&p=1

And here's a pic of the dash: http://www.gatbilar.se/galleries/805...ddac54e716.jpg
      Last edited by Johan Eriksson; 09-28-2011 at 01:36 PM.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast