SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

What did you do with your s60 today?

1M views 7K replies 427 participants last post by  chefricky 
#1 · (Edited)

Decided to paint my amaltheas semi-gloss white

success!

See less See more
#4,719 ·
After parking on the street in front of my house yesterday and watching gas running out of the fuel pump area, I ripped out the back seat and found bad things. Since I have an 02 S60 AWD i have the fuel pump issue. Never fails, can't just be the giant 'O' ring/gasket, no, that would be easy. So, got it all apart and found out it is shooting fuel out the top. This is the 4th 02 P2 that I have seen this issue on. 2 on my P2's and 2 on friends. All of the cars were originally from Nebraska or Colorado. No help on fuel pump recall. So I got up this morning and ran to the junk yard and pulled a fuel pump out of a 04 S60 AWD with just under 100k on it. Got back to the house and started the swap. That is where the fun started. First, forgot I had a near full tank of gas. Second, the fuel pumps are not the same. Actually they probably are but they hook up differently. So I had to figure out how to effectively re-wire the new to me fuel pump to the old wiring. After a 4 hour job, all is working and the only gas smell is from the gas that spilled into my shoes. Car runs great and gas guage is more accurate. I figure with gas not getting pumped out the top to spill all over, the gas mileage might go up some. After fixing the same issue on my XC I gained about 3mpg around town and about 5mpg on the highway.

BTW, that fuel pump wrench that looks like a strange kings crown, that thing is a god send. Was able to get the plastic retaining ring out in like 15 seconds vs the 2 days it took to do in my XC. I had to use a screw driver and hacksaw for that one.

#4,720 ·
Thx for the write up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4,725 · (Edited)
Finally got the car to be emissions ready. Got pulled over on my way to get emissions done. Deputy was super cool and just ran my license. Also, glad he didn't make an issue of my tint.

Last ticket (reckless) I got was for going extremely fast (wont say how fast) in my E30 and that was in 2002. So, I'm sure a clean record helped.

#4,726 ·
You got lucky, that's good though!! When I had the smog issues with my Honda due to the whole fuse and ECU memory thing, I got pulled over AND issued a ticket by a brand new rookie CHP officer that had zero interest in my completed passed smog test paperwork while ON MY WAY to get my registration finally renewed (expired tags were my car's giveaway). Fortunately it was only a fix-it- ticket, but still cost me $25 no less. :thumbdown:

#4,729 ·
Added some spacers, to remedy 2 minor issues. The tires were rubbing on the inner wheel well and to my opinion the wheels were too far inside.

So added 15mm spacers in the front (no more rubbing) and 20mm spacers in the back. This makes the wheels just about flush with the wheel well edge:

Before

After:

Time for a clean up and foto shoot soon (but first some maintenance)

#4,734 ·
Added some spacers, to remedy 2 minor issues. The tires were rubbing on the inner wheel well and to my opinion the wheels were too far inside.

So added 15mm spacers in the front (no more rubbing) and 20mm spacers in the back. This makes the wheels just about flush with the wheel well edge:
It's crazy how much of a difference these cars look with a bit of stance. Even non-car friends of mine comment on it. So, it looks good Ed.

#4,732 ·
Did a few things this week. Finally installed the 11 Blade Billet compressor wheel I bought a year ago. While I was there I went ahead and also installed a SNABB intake. All went well. Also has Rob at https://hiltontuning.com/ give Shel Silverstein a retune. Punched the boost up to 20-21psi. Also added the 04-05 R Aluminum charge pipe. That was a little tricky getting the cut right and using a grinder to create a "lip" so the hose won't blow off. Because the 04-05 R turbo compressor housing is a little different than my 06, the stock mounting points to attach the pipe do not line up. I was able to mod one of the pipe mounts to attach to a coil cover bolt hole. Seems to be working, no blowoffs and pipe has very limited movement, which is what I wanted. Don't know why but I really dig the Aluminum pipe vs the plastic. 11 Blade definitely moved my torque curve to a higher rpm. I get much less wheel spin than I had before but over 3500rpm this thing rips like never before. Even before the retune with just the 11 blade and my older 2.5 tune it was a noticeable improvement in the upper rpm's. With the added boost of the retune it just makes me smile. Maybe a Hybrid Turbo is next with some larger injectors and MAF Upgrade, who knows.

#4,737 ·
How easy is the compressor wheel install? Does it require removing the entire turbo?
I left the turbo on the engine. Removed the intake pipe, wastegate actuator and compressor housing (5 bolts). Unbolted downpipe. Held exhaust side of turbine with a 13mm socket, removed compressor wheel nut 10mm (REVERSE THREADS don't forget). The wheel does not just slide off easy. I had to put some effort in it to just get it to spin a little and then basically would rotate while pulling at the same time until to came off. New one also had to be rotated while applying pressure to get it all the way on the shaft. Be sure to mark your compressor housing to line back up with the center cartridge. I had marked mine in a few places but when I shot the housing with brake clean, my marks disappeared. Next time I would just scribe it with a pocket screwdriver so it won't disappear. Care must be taken putting the compressor housing back on as there is a large o-ring on the outside of compressor side (I use a light coating of silicone paste such as Sil-Glyde on the o-ring)of the cartridge and you don't want the housing to bend any of the blades or you will need to start over with a new wheel. It took me about 3 hours and I had never done this before but I also have a full lift and it was up and down a few times. I was prepared not to drive the car home that night but everything went well and I was able to drive it.

#4,735 ·
I concur! I really need to get some for mine. Just a matter of how to go, 10/15 I'm thinking. What size do most here tend to go with?

Well I didn't actually do anything with mine today, yet. But yesterday I ordered a new VDO mechanical 20psi body gauge. I needed a new tubing kit since the tube I ran on the cheap SunPro (same exact gauge as the Bosch one) was toast as it had kinked in various places when I installed the line initially. Today I went to a local chain shop a few blocks from me called Hose-Man who sells almost every type of hose or tubing and connector you'd ever want. You can even bring them your brake lines and they will make you exact copy custom S/S lines for you for a bit cheaper than a set of Goodridge or Earl's lines. Anyways, I went a half hour before they close at noon time and wasn't helped until a few minutes after due to sunrise that came in with a huge order. So they cut me the 10 feet of 1/8" tubing I came in for and didn't even charge me since it shoulder grabbed only been a few $$ anyways. It's perfect since its black and not clear, and it's much more pliable so will bend easier without kinking fortunately. Score!! [emoji106] [emoji3]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

#4,736 ·

Ended up being one of those days...
Not sure how I'm going to pass smog right now.

The car recently had engine swap 05 S60 2.4 non turbo. Mechanic forgot to plug in coolant sensor from firewall to reservoir so I had a Low Coolant message in car for last few weeks. This week I tried figuring it out which is when Oceans60R pointed out to me what this cable was for and when I plugged it in my problems were solved.
Now to the next, maybe 3 days ago all the sudden I had a Service Reminder on dash. I tried clearing it manually but couldn't do it, decided to run the obd2 and saw a code for P0420 which is Cat related -.-" after the car is on for maybe 3 minutes of driving the light goes away? But the damn light comes on EVERY time now I start the car. No CEL just the notification in message that's all. Sense I did read the code I decided to try to clear it, drive car roughly 20 miles and decided to try the smog because it is due in a few days. It got rejected, all 3 things were emission related. He said it didn't fail, but rejected; suggested I continued to drive more and let it sit during night. I used my OBD2 dongle snd DashCommand app and it again does verify that the modules to read the information in the car haven't been properly been reset (? I believe ?) so I dunno... tomorrow I'll put some miles on her maybe another 60? And then go to smog... I honestly don't think I have a problem to actually fall smog I think it's just this stupid light getting me stuck in a trap? Any ideas?

A Swede living in Las Vegas Nv

{} 2015 S60 T5 Premier
{} 2005 S60 Premier
{} 1997 960
-Below are Volvos in the family-
{} 2013 S60 T5 Platinum
{} 1997 850 R

#4,739 ·
Ended up being one of those days...
Not sure how I'm going to pass smog right now.

The car recently had engine swap 05 S60 2.4 non turbo. Mechanic forgot to plug in coolant sensor from firewall to reservoir so I had a Low Coolant message in car for last few weeks. This week I tried figuring it out which is when Oceans60R pointed out to me what this cable was for and when I plugged it in my problems were solved.
Now to the next, maybe 3 days ago all the sudden I had a Service Reminder on dash. I tried clearing it manually but couldn't do it, decided to run the obd2 and saw a code for P0420 which is Cat related -.-" after the car is on for maybe 3 minutes of driving the light goes away? But the damn light comes on EVERY time now I start the car. No CEL just the notification in message that's all. Sense I did read the code I decided to try to clear it, drive car roughly 20 miles and decided to try the smog because it is due in a few days. It got rejected, all 3 things were emission related. He said it didn't fail, but rejected; suggested I continued to drive more and let it sit during night. I used my OBD2 dongle snd DashCommand app and it again does verify that the modules to read the information in the car haven't been properly been reset (? I believe ?) so I dunno... tomorrow I'll put some miles on her maybe another 60? And then go to smog... I honestly don't think I have a problem to actually fall smog I think it's just this stupid light getting me stuck in a trap? Any ideas?

A Swede living in Las Vegas Nv

{} 2015 S60 T5 Premier
{} 2005 S60 Premier
{} 1997 960
{} 2013 S60 T5 Platinum
{} 1997 850 R
Just went through something similar. If it didn't fail it means it is "incomplete" and you have not gone through a proper driving cycle. Volvo recommends that in order to make your car emissions "ready" you need to complete a driving cycle with certain types of driving. Here is what they recommend to do so: increase speed to 40 mph; drive 50 mph for 20 min; idle for 5 min. (with AC off); increase speed to 40 mph; drive 50 mph for 20 min; idle for 5 min. (with AC off). You may have to do this twice.

Worked for me.

#4,738 ·
That doesn't sound so bad, especially for a first time. Did you follow a write-up up for it? Your instructions are pretty straight forward. My understanding is that you can check cartridge play by just removing the intake hose from the compressor? Anything particular make you replace your wheel, or is it an upgrade from the stock one?

#4,741 ·
Ed, that's kinda how I did it, too. Used a level when figuring out my spacers.

#4,743 ·
Glad to hear that Shamak's advice worked for you, and that he could provide it. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

I forget which thread it is in here, but I had a similar problem back when I owned a Honda, that plagued me for 2 months! Turned out to be a blown fuse to the ECU memory which ties into the radio circuit as well. Known issue were that fuse blows once an aftermarket H/U is installed, which I did that many years previous. Made sense why it was never "ready" when I'd go into the smog facility since you generally turn off the car to go inside. Everytime the car was turned off, the ECU was effectively reset. What a PITA that was for such a simple issue that the local Honda dealership refused to tell me about until I personally flagged down their in house smog tech which told me about that much known issue.

#4,744 ·
Good info, maybe I'll pop some fuses out and make sure everything is as it should be. But for sure in the morning I'll let you guys know how it all went. Thanks again guys

{} 2015 S60 T5 Premier
{} 2005 S60 Premier
{} 1997 960
{} 2013 S60 T5 Platinum
{} 1997 850 R

#4,745 ·
I don't think our cars are the same way, but possibly so. As long as it stays ready tomorrow, then a fuse isn't the issue, the ECU was just simply reset which resets the readiness as well.

#4,746 ·
Yeah but I should've been checking these fuses anyway. For some reason my windows like to auto roll down if toggled to full auto roll up, almost like theirs a fault and for emergency reasons it rolls them down. If I toggle to roll it up all the way it'll roll all the way up every time; just doesn't work right with full auto roll up. So I should be checking these fuses anyway to make sure I'm good. I'm really hoping car stays good till the morning haha

{} 2015 S60 T5 Premier
{} 2005 S60 Premier
{} 1997 960
{} 2013 S60 T5 Platinum
{} 1997 850 R

#4,747 ·
Let us know!
I'm willing to bet that VIDA could pinpoint the windows issue and what's causing it. It'll tell you just about any fault going on, even things that you had no idea. For example I replaced all of my interior and trunk lighting with LED bulbs. That caused the CEM to generate a serious fault thinking that there's a general interior lighting malfunction due to the reduced power draw of the LEDs, lol. But only VIDA will tell you things like that.

#4,748 ·
Without me using google, educate me please in what VIDA is, where I can buy this, and how much it costs (sounds like something worth owning?)

{} 2015 S60 T5 Premier
{} 2005 S60 Premier
{} 1997 960
{} 2013 S60 T5 Platinum
{} 1997 850 R

#4,751 · (Edited)

Let's see what happens !

{} 2015 S60 T5 Premier
{} 2005 S60 Premier
{} 1997 960
{} 2013 S60 T5 Platinum
{} 1997 850 R

#4,753 ·
Im happy it worked

#4,754 ·
got rid of the resonator and replaced it with a straight pipe and kept the stock muffler, sounds a bit louder on a cold start up but sounds the same as before under 3.5k rpm (which is what I wanted) but above that it sounds perfect, i'll post a video later since its raining right now:(

#4,757 ·
Cool drive Mario. Every time we go paint-balling something fails. Either no air or the guns are malfunctioning. Hope it was fun.

#4,758 ·
Willow Beach trip 2.0 w/ Inflatable Raft!
Bought a 5 person inflatable raft, drove down to Willow Beach in Arizona and enjoyed ourselves out on the water for a bit.

#4,760 · (Edited)
sounds like fun. I havent gone paintballing in probably 10 years lol.
something i might look into doing again (renting gear this time instead of buying my own lol)