SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

How-to: Change your Fuel Pressure Sensor on the T5 engine

257K views 183 replies 93 participants last post by  RedGeminiPA 
#1 · (Edited)
***If you're T5 has some stuttering or shuttering problems that aren't PCV-related, changing your fuel pressure sensor will often help as a lot of the 40s and 50s are equipped with an FPS that was recalled on the S60/V70. ***

Hey guys,

I had some DTCs on my V50 T5 AWD, I changed out my coils, plugs, etc. I actually didn't get a code reader to it until later, I then found through VADIS that the ECM codes I was getting ECM280B/C were related to the fuel pressure sensor which needed replacement.

I posted about it, and Rocky SDS posted the first how-to on this, so my write-up was just formalizing it. I found also that my fuel pressure sensor was recalled for the S60/V70 but for this car. So either MY car had a replacement with the WRONG FPS 8699448

I had a replacement sent to me from Tasca Volvo Parts with the correct part number: 31272732. Anyways, now that's taken care of, this is a VERY easy repair/replacement, care just needs to be taken so that you don't spill too much fuel or drop and lose a screw/bolt.

You will need:
  • Torx nut removal tools
  • Torx 30 bolt
  • Torx 25 bolt
  • nitrile gloves
  • blue shop towels (or any rag you feel comfortable absorbing a little bit of fuel)
  • fuse removal tool (or small pliers)
VADIS instructions

Fuse removal in the passenger comparment. YOU MUST REMOVE FUSE 74 from the passenger fuse fox. After that, start your car, let it idle and die, then try and start it again twice for about 5 seconds to drain the fuel pressure.

Remove the blue or black valve cap, surround it with blue shop rags, I used a huge stuffing and a plastic bag underneath to catch any fuel, then press the release and the little bit of pressure left in there will come out. I kept pressing it until no fuel leaked out at all without any air or noise either.

Remove the left cover on the engine. Remove the Torx 30 bolts entirely (don't just let them sit in the cover) and it'll come right off. Remove the connector, it should wiggle right out.

Remove the Torx 25 bolt, it's kinda tight in there so if you have a key set of torx bolts that'd be ideal. Once you break the torque, you use your thumbs or two index fingers and unscrew it by hand. With all of the pressure gone, it should just pull right out.

Here are the minor differences between the old and new sensor. Minor case differences, nothing that'll affect installation or performance.

installed.

There you go everyone. Go change this if you're getting any ECMs that are related to the FPS. HOWEVER the cost of one is around $150, and Volvo currently doesn't recognize this bad part for reimbursement. I'll contact Volvo headoffices directly citing the bad part number with another recall seeing if they can pay me back. Obviously don't forget:

RE-INSTALL IN RESERVE ORDER. PUT FUSE BACK IN!!

See less See more
#3 ·
awesome! ya it'll fix sputtering problems as well as power surges or lack there of on the highway. It's a REALLY easy install. Just have gloves and blue rags available. Everyone loves the smell of gasoline right? :D

#5 ·
you have my permission, put my name there and I'd love it! :D

#7 ·
I checked on my car and I got that same old pressure sensor except it's part #8699449 (the last 9 is for the turbo I think instead of the 8). That said I have not had any problems with it but I think it's weird they would recall the same part on other models and not this one. Should I worry about this little guy?
The car doesn't start as well as it use to. Could this be related?

#8 ·
Would this be the part that is causing my car to have some weird starts randomly? The car starts up just fine, but then I put it into gear and as I'm about 20 feet from where I started it seems to stutter and feel like it is about to stall. But if I push the gas pedal harder it will bog down for a second, then jump to life. It doesn't seem to happen at any other time besides when I'm starting the car.

I checked my car and it is the 8699449 part number.

#10 ·
A lot of you guys having power loss issues, please take a look and see if this is the problem. Just take off the engine cover and see if you have the old fuel pressure sensor, if you do, it might as well be the problem. Just take a picture and magnify the part number.

#18 · (Edited)
I'm having a very frustrating power loss problem and dreading having to take my car to the dealer again and have them try there best at it since there's no codes...... On the highway, If I give to much throttle at once the engine will bog down and I'll lose what feels like to be 100hp or more and the only way to get the power back is to turn the car off for 2 minutes or so then restart it, then it feels like it has its power back and everything feels normal if I just accelerate gradually its fine and I will not lose power.
I can replicate the problem over and over again with out issue , but for some reason my car does not want to spit out any codes. I been leaning towards the fuel pressure sensor since I do in fact have the one that you say has been recalled but I also am curious if it's possible my transmission is causing the issue since I had it rebuilt about 8k km ago but find it weird that it gets its power back once its restarted but no codes is sorta saying to me something mechanical is wrong. So I been debating on taking a chance with the fps.

Also when I look up the part # for the new one you posted 31272732 its showing a few with that part # but none of them are the s40 , its showing pressure sensors for the v7-,Xc70 2010, c70 06-10 , Xc60 2010. This will work in a 05 s40 t5? or am I typing something wrong.

#11 ·
Did any of you have complete power loss? As in car was running and in the middle of an attempt to accelerate everything shut down? Electrical and mechanical? Mine did this yesterday and no warning lights or anything to give me a clue as to what happened. Kinda scary...

#12 ·
Carrera, if you car lost all electricity suddenly, it can't be anything else but battery or battery wires. At least check them first. It could be as simple as a loose terminal.

#13 ·
I checked them and also had a guy at my indie shop check, and neither of us found anything that seemed loose. It was really frustrating. I've had issues where my car seems to lose hp, but this is the first time it's every lost all electrical as well.

#20 ·
it may not be your battery connection sounds like you car is doing the same exact thing my 04.5 was doing it would lose power shudder and all if i stay out of boost it would act fine get into boost a couple good times it would shudder and then quit and all my lights would go off i would say this is a safe mode on these cars and it wouldn't restart until i turned it completely off for a minute then start it, my codes are as follows leak between maf and throttle body, fuel pressure sensor circuit high, and system too lean off idle bank 1, i tried o2 sensors, connections on piping, vacuum lines, spark plugs, and fuel pump even took it to volvo they still couldn't find the problem, this thread was immensely helpful will have it ordered today hopefully on this weekend! will have an update!

#15 ·
I haven't constructed a letter, if you'd like to take the reins, citing the the recall of the same part number on a similar engine on the S60 and V70 please go ahead. I contacted Volvo Canada and Volvo US warranty office by phone, they both claimed it was beyond their power or scope to look into. So if you'd like to write a letter or reach out to someone who'd be able to help that'd be great, i'd definitely do anything I can to support or help you.

#16 · (Edited)
I suspect i also have the same (old) pressure sensor. When cruising around 30-40mph my car have a tendency to stutter, even when rolling down hill with no throttle input. Nothing serious but still annoying. Also, on occasion my car (05 T5) seems to lack proper pull.
Could this be the result of a faulty pressure sensor?
I never had a cel come on but as mentioned, I seem to have some irregular power decrease/increase.

Odd, I see IPD carries the old style sensor...

#17 ·
Thank you magician!

Just a quick note of thanks to you Mr M4gician, from here in the land of Oz, for all the work you put into this thread.

I recently bought a 2004 S40 T5 that has been diagnosed by the local dealership with an intermittent faulty fuel rail pressure sensor (code ECM 2100), even though it's only done 67,000km. Volvo Australia sell the relevant part for $472 (I'm serious) and they charge about $130 to fit it. But having read your post, today I collected Land Rover part LR015294 from a Land Rover dealership, for only $130.

Just opened the box and ... hey presto ... it's marked as Volvo part 31272732 and Bosch part 0261230230. Tomorrow I'll fit it using your most excellent guidelines. Thank you so much for your work!

It's interesting that the faulty Bosch part was subject of a recall in the USA - at least for the S60s and V70s - but that didn't happen here in Australia (although our cars all came off the same lines). Instead, they're charging way more than other companies for exactly the same part. Not fair, Mr Volvo!

#19 ·
Thanks for the write up. Have to get the part from a local Volvo dealer since I need my car on a daily basis. Gonna cost me an extra $70+. :mad: But now I can do it myself! :p

I initially thought my transmission was slipping but my '05 S40 T5 w/ 69k finally spit out the code for the bad fuel sensor. Wish it did before I spent $200 to have my trans fluid flushed and replaced... Thanks Again!

PS I plan on sending Volvo a formal letter about the recall on other vehicles but not mine on the same part. Not cool! :thumbdown:

#22 ·
Thanks for the write up on this problem. My dealer diagnosed this as my problem also (for free) but wanted $100 to install a new one and $240 for the part. DO NOT BUY THIS PART FROM VOLVO! I just sourced this same part from the Land Rover dealer for $91.74! Land Rover part#LR015294 is EXACTLY the same part at less than half the price. I know this doesn't help you now but if you're going to keep your car as long as I plan on keeping mine, you'll probably need to buy another one a few years down the line.

#24 ·
Just ordered the Land Rover part as well, it was $87 plus shipping, and I opted for overnight for $25 compared to $15 for a week. My car's been acting up so I figure I'd better do this now. :)

#25 ·
$87? That's freakin' amazing! I thought my Mercedes dealer was a "stealership" but Volvo has taken the lead with this one! :what:

#27 ·
Received the part today, installed it, and went for a drive. It appears to have fixed my issues. Thanks for the write up!
Thanks for the write up on this problem. My dealer diagnosed this as my problem also (for free) but wanted $100 to install a new one and $240 for the part. DO NOT BUY THIS PART FROM VOLVO! I just sourced this same part from the Land Rover dealer for $91.74! Land Rover part#LR015294 is EXACTLY the same part at less than half the price. I know this doesn't help you now but if you're going to keep your car as long as I plan on keeping mine, you'll probably need to buy another one a few years down the line.
That's all great news guys. I'll add the land rover part number, it's the Bosch part number.

#31 ·
Where did you got yours? online vendor or local LR shop?
I have a hard time finding it online...

#28 ·
So to recap, because I'm getting confused with what problem(s) people have had with this pressure sensor, what does this actually fix?

#29 ·
Our vehicles have no manual fuel pressure regulator. This sensor tells the fuel pump how much fuel pressure the injectors are seeing. The Start, Stumble, Stutter problem as well as a lack or surge of power and rough idle can all be attributed to this sensor malfunctioning. I'd forgotten how smooth my engine used to run until I got around to installing my new one yesterday; it's night and day and was probably bad well before the CEL even came on. Hope this helps! :)

#33 ·
So Search the part # first , any where else then Plug in the Correct Number , I got a Good Number and Price from RockAuto.com .
IPD also has it .

#36 ·
anyone have any traction on getting volvo to pay for this since the "recall" was for the same part number on a similar engine for the S60 and V70?

#37 ·
M4gician, Thanks a million for your thorough writeup and large, clear images!! I was able to change this myself in a flash. This problem is common and many people will benefit from your writeup. My only bit of advice to readers is to make sure your car is on a flat surface! Mine was parked on the street... I was so careful to catch any fuel (which wasn't much) coming out after removing the valve cap, but neglected to notice the car was leaning toward the pressure sensor. When I took that off, the fuel spilled out all over the place on the other side. Don't make my mistake!

#39 ·
You're welcome! Yes, purge the valve by bleeding it thorough and use a catch can under as well as the blue rags surrounding it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.