Alarm system service required
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Alarm system service required

Hi guys,

The "Alarm service required" indicator comes on every time I start my car (2005 volvo S60) and I don't know if this is something serious. Everything seems to be working fine but this light is really annoying. Any ideas on what is going on?

Former Advertiser
      Sounds like your alarm system is not working. Try locking the car with the drivers window open and then unlock the car with the inside button. If the alarm does not go off, then that will answer your question.

Ive been told by my local Volvo guy (not a dealer BTW) that at least on my car (04 S60 R) that the siren for the alarm is mounted in such a way that condensation will eventually pool IN the siren and ruin it. Someplace buried in the passenger side fender well. Anyhow, its a bit of a process to get to. That being said mine hasn't worked since i bought the car (with 60k). Any the indicator was intermittent at first and now constant (but always goes away after 5 seconds or so). Come to find out, I was suppose to hear a chirping sound when locking or unlocking the doors (similar to my GF Lexus i guess?). Well Ive never heard it, nor did the guy who owned it before me.

So, unless someone hits me in the right front, and their insurance pays for repairs - my alarm siren wont work (AFAIK the horn still blasts if the alarm is triggered).

Unless you do it yourself - id bet your looking at 400 - 600 to have it done. Not worth it IMO - my mechanic agreed.
      MARMAU - Seattle, WA
      2004 S60R Six Speed Atacama
      IPD Polys and HD Mount, IPD SB Conversion, IPD HD TCV, IPD R Boost Guage - and moose decals!
      *WANTED = 3" downpipe, IPD/Elevate AMS, IPD/Elevate Tune*

First the bad news. Yes, the alarm module can fail due to corrosion. The position (as you indicated) is not the most desired as it can get pretty damp in there. Repair can be costly too, a module usually runs around $180 + labor cost to replace.

Unfortunately, Volvo electricals are all interdependent - meaning a failed alarm may also cause the sunroof to malfunction (most of the time).

Now the good news! There is a DIY homebrewed fix for the problem. Good Luck and Stay Safe!

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...p?f=11&t=17479

BTW, you should hear no "chirp" when locking or unlocking the vehicle.
      Last edited by rarod58; 09-14-2011 at 07:50 PM.

Hi - thanks for the info. I have the same issues on my 2001 S60.
      If I just pull the alarm module out and not replace it, will the car continue to at least function?

(My sunroof has quit, just as in other posts here. But thats not a huge deal to me at the moment.)

Thanks,
      CW

Quote Originally Posted by Chiswilson View Post
      Hi - thanks for the info. I have the same issues on my 2001 S60.
      If I just pull the alarm module out and not replace it, will the car continue to at least function?

(My sunroof has quit, just as in other posts here. But thats not a huge deal to me at the moment.)

Thanks,
      CW
      I would think removing the alarm module, will throw a constant malfunction lamp. Right now, as is, you should only receive the warning on start-up. After reading the message, the "exclamation/warning" lamp on the dash should turn off (at least that's what happened to my S80). Without it, I think it would "nag" you constantly. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by rarod58 View Post
      I would think removing the alarm module, will throw a constant malfunction lamp. Right now, as is, you should only receive the warning on start-up. After reading the message, the "exclamation/warning" lamp on the dash should turn off (at least that's what happened to my S80). Without it, I think it would "nag" you constantly. Good Luck!
      Yes, but my (smart) volvo mechanic has told me eventually the outside lights will start flashing and will run the battery down, resulting in a dead battery. He says he sees it happen almost every time...so I'm just trying to avoid meltdown. This is silly that the sunroof, alarm and everything is tied together, AND sucks that apparently you cant change the battery in the alarm/siren. No more volvo's in my future :/

I am having the same issue. Over the weekend the "Alarm system service required" came on. My sunroof is working and everything appears to be running normal, but when I tried to trigger the alarm nothing happened.
      In the other forums, some people have resolved this with a new car battery. I'm driving on my Original 04', could I get lucky enough that's all it is? (cross fingers)

I have a 2005 s60r that got the problem after the battery died due to the radio being left on. Sine the problem clearly was related to the battery going dead and not corrosion, does anyone have an idea how to reset it? I swear the moonroof was working when I first started getting the Alarm Serivice Requred error after the battery died, but now the moonroof is not working either.

Appreciate any ideas.

The siren under the r/f fender has a backup battery inside so when an alledged thief cuts the wires, the siren goes off. Kind of smart, however when the backup battery is flat/dead, it will draw on the vehicles battery to keep it charged. This causes many problems, such as 1- loss of intialization( the sunroof doesn't work). 2- Vehicle battery is flat due to exterior lights flashing. 3- The alram siren sounds on it's own. 4-"Alarm System Service Required" message in the DIM. 5- Multiple DTC's in the vehicle control modules.

The Fix= Replace the siren.

FYI there is a software download the will "remove" the siren by no longer thinking that an alarm is installed in the car. My parents went that route instead of replacing stuff...pretty cheap way if you are not set on having an alarm. Imobilizer still functions however with the coded keys.