SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

KillerB's Mod List (Lots of Pics/Broadband users)

24K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  ojs 
#1 · (Edited)
I'll throw up my mod list and as we start rebuilding the car, I'll post pics. I've also got some of my other mods up over the years... not all, but some.

The List... and I'm sure I'm missing a few things on the list:
Engine Mods
Compression 9.0:1

Short Block:
JE Forged Pistons
Piston heads ceramic treated
I-Beam Forged Rods (Weight shaved down)
Forged Crankshaft (Slight Knife Edged)
Mahle Rings
High Performance Rod Bearings
High Performance Main Bearing
Cryogenic treatment

Cylinder Head:
Bored, Port and Polish Runners (Exhaust)
Gasket Matching Runners (Both Sides)
Ceramic coated the exhaust bowl and runner
BMW Performance Valve Springs
Dry Lubricated Ceramic Coated Springs
Manley Extreme Duty Inconel Valves
Ceramic coated Valve heads
modified cams
Cryogenic treatment on all head parts

Turbo:
VIVA Performance Hybrid-K24
VIVA CBV (high performance)

Exhaust system
Port and Polish Manifold
Ceramic Coated & Flow filled Manifold with high temp 2600 degree protection
Ceramic Coated Turbo
PTP Thermo Blanket
Svenske Down Pipe 3"
Ceramic coated DP with high temp 2600 degree protection
Cermaic Magnaflow 3" Catalytic Converter
Evolve Sport Exhaust 3"
Exhaust wrap at the rear Dif. Haldex box

Intake System
BMC (Blue) Foam intake
Kelly CAI
Custom OTE Pipe (black chrome)
Custom 06 OTE brackets
Bell FMIC
Port and Polish intake Manifold
RS4 MAF Housing
Audi Mass Air Flow Sensor (S8 S6 S4) - Bosch 077133471KX

Misc Engine parts
Innovative Motorsports LC-1 Wideband controller (Programmable 02 sensor)
EGT Probe Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor - 3/16" Diameter (Inconel)
Auber EGT/Boost/02 Gauge (Blue) (2 gauges)
Denso Iridium Power Spark Plug (2 step cooler heat range)
650cc Injectors (Reds)
Silcone Blue Vacuum hose
Evolve upper radiator hose
Evolve lower radiator hose
Auqamist water Injection System
Upper engine mounts
Engine bar / strut bar conversion kit
IPD HD TCV
briggs and Stat fuel filter #394358S
Walbor Fuel pump
Greddy Relief Vavle (Boost Protection @ 24lbs)
Upgraded Slave Cylinder
Rebuilt Clutch (2 times)
Boost Gauge
PCV (Replaced)
Water Pump (Replaced)
Timing Belt parts (Replaced)
Volvo 2006 Software fix on Turbo

Suspension Mods
Evolve Springs (modified)
Medical tubing (wrapped springs)
IPD endlinks
Evolve Sway bar (front) (shaved)
Evovle Sway bar (rear)
IPD 25mm sway bar polly bushings
Rolled Rear finders
Modified rear liners
Modified stoppers
VIVA 10mm spacers (rear)
Evolve V7 19" Wheels
"R" Pegs 18" Wheels (factory)

Braking System
Evolve Stainless Steel brake lines
Motul MBF 660 fluid
Allstar Brembo Spindel cooling kit
Allstar Brembo Brake Duct
Porterfield R-4 Race bads (track days)

Exterior Mods
Evolve Rear Bumper
Evolve Side Skirts
Evolve Front Bumper (removed)
Evolve Hood Grill
Evolve Rear Spoiler
New OEM Bumer with winglets (installed when Evolve came off)
3M clear bra
3M wrapped side mirrors
3M wrapped rear side skirts
Osram Sylvania Fog lights
Euro High Beam Software (HB with fogs)
Custom Painted Engine (Electric Silver)
Custom Painted Engine "R" (candy blue)
Custom Painted OTE pipe (Candy Black Chrome)
3M Tint Rear Sides and Rear (70%)
3M Tint Front (35%)
Blinder M-45 Xtreme

Interior Mods
Evolve Carpet Mats
IMIV iPOD adapter
Volvo NAV system with IMIV video
Fahreheit TV-5 tuner (w'remote eye in mirror)
Belltronics X-65

Factory options
Rain Sensor Glass
Laminated Side Impact glass
Rain resistant side windows
GPS Navigation System
13 Speaker Premium System
Climate Package
Lo-Jack Tracking System
Secondary GPS tracking system

Magazine or Web Site Appearances
European Car (Sept 2006)
Evolve Web Site (2006)
Bell FMIC Install Manual
Rolling Magazine (December 2008)
Elevate Web Site (2009-present)

Picked up in Sept 2005 at Volvo's Factory, Sweden:

Nurburgring

Week 1 of being in the U.S.

Week 5 of being in the U.S. ... All the stage 1 and 2 mods go in and the body work is finished

Week 8 of being in the U.S.

Spring of 2006, investigate suspension and move from Evolve Sway bar bushings to iPD bushings

Sway bar shaved down due to contact of the A-Arm.

Evolve springs modified and rewrapped

Rear finder wells rolled

Meeting at Brembo's North American Headquaters

Camera Mount project

Off-Air TV in the Nav system installed

Custom made OTE pipe clamps (Water Jet Cutter)

Replaced the CAT and recoated the Svenske DP with Ceramic

New VIVA turbo with PTP blanket

Port, Polished, Ceramic Coated and flow filled Exhaust Manifold

Car Stripped and repainted

See less See more
#2 ·
Engine pulled

#4 ·
Beautiful!

#9 ·
Also what is the purpose of wrapping the springs in medical tubing....sound reduction? (shot in the dark)
The Evolve springs at the time had a nasty scrapping, high pitch noise. After spending well over a 1000 in shop time to find what the heck was making the noise, the local indy shop modified the spring and wrapped it. You can see below that the spring had an issue of sitting in the seat and the common wrap didn't hold up. The fix is now asked for at Zen Volvo in North Hollywood.

It's too hard to find the cost. Well over 50k in modding. A lot of extra costs were involved with R&D and transportation. For example, I was one of the first to get the Bell FMIC... when it was becoming a problem for the s60R guys... I didn't hesitate, I loaded the car on a flat bed and shipped it to San Antonio Texas to let Bell figure it out. You can't relate to those costs.

#10 ·
Here's my BIG question of the day....

You ready...? Cuz it's really big!

Where in the hell do you get an upgraded slave cylinder???

#19 ·
B, how could you forget this video? It uses one of my favorite songs.
That's a flash back alright. Wish I could replay that day. Five S60R owners on the Nurburgring and I had to loose traction in a turn during the first 1/8 of the track. After that, I never saw Kelly and those guys taillights ever again. :D Probably lucky that I didn't because Kelly ran someone off the track in the last half of season. lol Definitely good times

#12 ·
Killer,

You are doing an engine rebuild? I am looking to start mine in June. Who is doing all of the engine work? Where are you getting your rods, pistons, cam, valve springs, etc?

#17 · (Edited)
I think the engine shop just talked me out of the Dartons. The cylinders were almost in new condition. Hard to believe with 100k on the car. The low pressure was due to a cracked cylinder head. There are cracks between the Exhaust valve and spark plug hole. The shop said that was a caused by a back up in pressure and heat. We told them about the clogged CAT i just replaced and they immediately said that was the cause.

Overall, it's a weird feeling rebuilding, because you do all this research and get the parts and then the engine rebuilders go into another direct with the knowledge they have. Like, I wanted the to bore out the intake and exhaust runners, but the engine shop recommended only the exhaust side, but still polish the intake. They will still do the gasket matching on both sides, but just doing boring on the exhaust side takes all the pressure off the cylinders and internal parts. Doing the intake hurts the performance numbers... who knew? I'm also rebuilding the clutch and some other things at the same time. It was suppose to be a coordinated effort of 2 weeks, but it's been 3 weeks so far.

You can see the cracks here:

I'm sending the valves over to Ferrea to have them cut out a custom set of valves.

Most of all, just taking my time. I'll PM you on some questions.

HOW did you get the tv in the nav!!? and +1 on the upgraded slave. Also do you have more pics of the PTP blanket? and what is its primary function?
The TV is a combination of the iMIV and a TV tuner. You turn the dial on the factory stereo to Television-2 and the Nav comes up and the TV plays. Television-1 on the stereo plays the movies off the iPod.

The blanket is here: http://www.ptpturboblankets.com/subarublk.shtml

It's almost a direct fit.

Nice. Any issues with the Electric Silver paint on the engine covers? I've been wanting to do the same but been worried about the effect of the engine heat on the finish.
No issues. I've had it for over 5 years now and I only have mild flaking under the OTE pipe where it sometimes rubs and a few corners. Really not bad for 5 years. The only plastic part that sees a lot of heat is the OTE pipe and that was painted candy chrome black with a lot of clear coats. Not a single flack or wear on that part. The Plastic cover is probably caused from the removal during spark plug change outs or any other service on the car.

Sell me the wheels that you have on in pict's 8 & 9
Fortunately, I'm still using them. They went to the wheel repair shop some months ago and I didn't want to put them back on until I replaced all 4 struts/shocks... and they were replaced 2 weeks before the engine blew, so I kept them off while the is shifted around from body shop to engine shop.

#13 · (Edited)
HOW did you get the tv in the nav!!? and +1 on the upgraded slave. Also do you have more pics of the PTP blanket? and what is its primary function?

#16 ·
Nice. Any issues with the Electric Silver paint on the engine covers? I've been wanting to do the same but been worried about the effect of the engine heat on the finish.

#20 ·
Guys, Volvo sells the upgraded slave. There are 2 different types of slaves that went into this car. The pre generations caused the tubing to kink under engine shifting. The new upgraded slave went into the production cars in mid 2006. My car was made in the last week of August of 2005 after factory retooling, so I was given the 04-05 slave system. Clutch exploded in 2006 and Volvo was hit with replacing the entire clutch system and upgrading the slave.

If you put the 2 slaves next each other, you could see the difference.

#21 ·
Good to know. I'll have to check the build date on mine.

Anything to note specifically on your fender rolling experience? I was planning on this summer to do it.

#23 ·
These are cool. I've used one, works great. I hear you can rent them at different places. Some good aftermarket shops may have one.

#26 ·
Brilliant build Killer. Wish I had the funds to do even a 1/4 of the things you've done. What kind of numbers are you expecting from this build? Also, how much did the clutch/cylinder repair cost you? I've got the older one and I'm approaching 100k slowly, but steadily and was wondering. Best of luck to you and I hope your results exceed your expectations. Cheers!

#28 ·
My 2006 write up on the Camera mount : http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?63766

Brilliant build Killer. Wish I had the funds to do even a 1/4 of the things you've done. What kind of numbers are you expecting from this build? Also, how much did the clutch/cylinder repair cost you? I've got the older one and I'm approaching 100k slowly, but steadily and was wondering. Best of luck to you and I hope your results exceed your expectations. Cheers!
We'll see on the performance numbers. I'm happy with protection and longevity rather than peak performance. As far as the slave cylinder and clutch was around 400 + labor. The transmission and everything else came off the engine when we stripped it, so I'm sure it's being over looked, or part of the cost of stripping the engine and putting it back together.

#31 ·
The parts are almost done being shaved down to save weight and the camshaft is being knife edged.

Most of the parts were dropped off today to get them in line for the Cryogenics treatment. This included the AWD sleeve and a few other parts.

Ceramic coating goes on the entire inside of the head after the Cyro. The head with be 50% from the Cyro and never see any heat about 120 degrees after the Ceramic coating.

#32 ·
Just read through this thread. Truly an awesome thread! Gave me a lot to think about. My fiance is going to hate you.

Any updates?

#33 ·
#34 ·
How is the Build coming Bryan? BUMP

#35 ·
I'll throw up my mod list and as we start rebuilding the car, I'll post pics. I've also got some of my other mods up over the years... not all, but some.......
So how much WHP and Torque do you get out of that beast? :)
Have you dyno'ed it?

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.