SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

After 5 years, the 164 broke down.

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  strost164 
#1 ·
After work, I went to start the car and it would start and run for only a few seconds, then shut off. I got a ride home from a friend, and my wife brought me back to the car with some tools, and it turned out to be a fuel pump relay. I ran a jumper wire directly to the fuel pump and drove the car home. Nothing bad, just the first time it broke and I actually needed to get a ride home.

Ordered a new Bosch fuel pump relay for $7. Should be here today :) I love easy fixes.

#4 ·
Well crap. Turn out it's not the fuel pump relay. It's the ECU. The ECU won't ground-out the terminal 86 on the relay which means I either need a new ECU, I need to fix my existing one, or I need to MegaSquirt my car.

#5 ·
Tell more if go the Megasquirt route. There are a couple B-20Es converted on their forums and I'm looking into the possibility. I'm currently running through the basic diagnostics for generally poor running in a car I've had for a decade plus but haven't driven for the last 8 years. Looks like a steep learning curve for Megasquirt, but it also looks like an interesting project with some good potential.

Seb Trost
'74 164E
Henderson,NV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.