Over revving while shifting
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Over revving while shifting

Its weird before i bought this car i drove a mazda 3 for a year, and it was a 5mt. Under hard acceleration i never had problems shifting without the engine revving; however i have had my R for about two weeks now and i cant help but notice under hard accelerations especially when shifting from 1st to second the car over revs a bit , but the shift is still smooth, no bogging or lurching and no burning of the clutch. So i thought i might have been holding the gas pedal too long while shifting so today i went out and did a little test. I shifted to first gear floored it and before i shifted i completely took my foot of the gas pedal for a second and then right when i pushed in the clutch the engine over revved. Is this normal? and is this effecting my clutch or transmission in any way? There is no bogging lurching or any smell of a burning clutch so i did not know if this is typical for these cars.

I have this same issue. I have yet to figure it out. I drove my friends VR and didnt have the problem....
      2004 S60R/MT/Ti/Gobi-Elevate DP, Snabb, ViVA Single mass flywheel, Short Ram CAI, ViVA CBV, iPD HDTCV,Tki Endlinks, iPD stabilizer bushing, poly engine mount, poly trans mount, powerflex bushings, 7 psi wastegate, iPD boost guage,Fitzy style pod,hardwired V1,35w HID 6000k foglights, 6000k headlights

I think it's actually a feature of (Correct me if i'm wrong here) OBD2 cars. It's an emissions thing. When the rev's are allowed to hang for a second before dropping, excess fuel is burned off and a cleaner combustion can follow. It allows for less engine buildup and a cleaner engine over a long period of time. Some people call it rev-hang, it's much more pronounced in some cars than others--my old G35 6MT used to pick up about 2-300 rpm's before shifting. Just be patient, you won't shift any faster by waiting 1/10th of a second for it to drop again.
      2005 Sapphire/Atacama S60R 6MT - 45k Miles - IPD "R-Kelly" Intake

Stop shifting so close to redline, if your butt dyno is that broken, the real dynographs show that the car doesn't make an extreme amount of power at that level so shift sooner so you can utilize more of the torque.

Also, you have a heavy boatanchor flywheel, you will still carry momentum of acceleration. Get the single mass and you'll be dropping RPM's faster than an anchor.

This not Vtec
      Last edited by chinaonnitrous1; 05-03-2011 at 01:52 PM.
      Stock 2004 S60r
      Totalled: Stock 1991 Toyota Mr2 w/ 309k miles.
      Current: Turbo 1991 Mr2 w/ 220k Miles & 2013 Scion Iq

Doesn't happen on my car -- at least I've never noticed it.

I personally am not shifting at redline. I will shift at like 3500 and it will still do it. Actually if i do run it up to redline it wont do it.
      2004 S60R/MT/Ti/Gobi-Elevate DP, Snabb, ViVA Single mass flywheel, Short Ram CAI, ViVA CBV, iPD HDTCV,Tki Endlinks, iPD stabilizer bushing, poly engine mount, poly trans mount, powerflex bushings, 7 psi wastegate, iPD boost guage,Fitzy style pod,hardwired V1,35w HID 6000k foglights, 6000k headlights

It's not OBD-II, that's for sure. I shift at anything from 3500 to 5500, and I NEVER have had that happen. In the lower gears, sometimes my clutch lets go at high RPM's b/c it's shot, but thats the only time I've ever hit my limiter while shifting without my WOTBox on.
      '98 S70 T5 Auto - The Track Car --> My Build Thread
      '92 745 NA+TT Auto - The Daily Driver --> My Mods Thread
      '95 855 NA Auto - Gone and missed....
      '01 Mazda Tribute LX-V6 AWD - Gone and NOT missed!

The Rs have a really heavy flywheel, so when you shift the RPMs seem to stay up or if you push in the clutch really fast before you let the gas out all the way they could float up a little. But if they are going up with your foot completely off and you press in the clutch, that sounds like something else weird is going on.
      2004 S60R MT Titanium/Gobi -05 Center Console - IPD HD Poly Transmission Mount - IPD R Kelly CAI - IPD R Boost Gauge Sold
      Climate Control Bulb Replacement
      Reverse Light Switch Replacement
      04 to 05+ Console Swap

Quote Originally Posted by VolvoGuy50 View Post
      It's not OBD-II, that's for sure. I shift at anything from 3500 to 5500, and I NEVER have had that happen. In the lower gears, sometimes my clutch lets go at high RPM's b/c it's shot, but thats the only time I've ever hit my limiter while shifting without my WOTBox on.
      And your clutch is shot because you have a WOTBox. Not the thing to have for Volvos it turns out.
      2006 S60R Sonic Blue MT w/Gobi (none of that Nordcrap) SOLD I miss Heidi...
      2004 VW R32 Guess I have a thing for blue R's...
      1996 il rospo My 247,000 mile project car (still on it's first motor)

I'd have to agree this behavior isn't "normal" but seems to be related to the amount of fuel running through the system when you unload the engine. My guess is emissions control system. As for rev hang, no car does it worse than the 2.0 Genesis coupe.

I've noticed shifting the R is quite different than my dad's Mazda 3.

The Volvo has a bit of a 'trick' to getting the most performance out of it where you just kinda go with the Mazda. (Mazda 3 is an excellent car to drive with the manual, apparently the early automatic is a dog.)
      Currently driving: 2012 Subaru Impreza WRX STi 5-door, 1991 940 Turbo sedan.
      Written off: 2005 S60R. Magic Blue/Nordkap Sold: 2004 S60 2.4i, 1987 740 Turbo

Doesn't happen to me, but I'll double check at 3500rpm on the ride home and let you know.
      My YouTube Channel & My Twitter @TheCastro
      12 Mini Cooper S Hardtop
      06 XC90 V8 - for sale
      04 S60R - sold!

Quote Originally Posted by evilspoons View Post
      I've noticed shifting the R is quite different than my dad's Mazda 3.

The Volvo has a bit of a 'trick' to getting the most performance out of it where you just kinda go with the Mazda. (Mazda 3 is an excellent car to drive with the manual, apparently the early automatic is a dog.)
      You're also going from a 4-cyl NA ecobox to a highly tuned high-tech euro sport sedan. It's gonna be different.

So when I floor it let go of the gas pedal and then step on the clutch it still revs about 500 more. But just normal driving to 3500 rpm no revving up.
      12 Mini Cooper S Hardtop
      06 XC90 V8 - for sale
      04 S60R - sold!

Yeah, so these cars go WAY rich after heavy throttle. I don't know why, and it has pissed me off to no end. With the downpipe I'd actually get loud pops sometimes. It's terrible for your cats, etc. Check to make sure you're getting full boost, because a lack of recirc'ed air can lead to a brief dump of fuel.

Come to think of it, not sure how that would cause overrun like that though. Dang. I'm stumped. Sorry. Wait, your car has WHAT mods? And you haven't thought some of them could be the culprit?

Yep my 04 SR does it. I've complained about the way this car shifts from day one. Being a tech i would lean more to the response of the drive by wire throttle body, although a heavy flywheel would cause the same issue i guess.. i've test driven a few and they all (3) have done it. i passed it off a the type of car it is. Its quick shifts under load, (ya know, the type when your actually DRIVING your R hard, but correctly)
      I always get heat for (not R bashing) making statements about the performance/driver imput of the R, Ijust want to improve it.

When I race I love the way it shifts and sounds, scares the GXRs.
      12 Mini Cooper S Hardtop
      06 XC90 V8 - for sale
      04 S60R - sold!