Rough night with my R
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Rough night with my R

I swear, my R loves to frustrate me. This evening, I attempted an install of the TWM shift knob. Easy, right? No, wrong. 3 hours later, I'm giving up before I start throwing sh*t. My shift rod is made out of un-threadable metal. I defy anyone to put threading on my rod (wait, what?). This is like that 'pull the sword outta the stone' game. You can't do it. CAN'T. Yes, I used oil. Yes, I upgraded to a real tap / die set when I couldn't get it with the POS little die thing they sent with the package. No, it cannot be done.

Second note: If anyone is installing the Bluepower head unit, when it gets to the part where they say connect the orange illumination line to the orange wire coming out of the ICELINK (CANBus reader thing), laugh. Call them names. Only actually do this if you want the handbrake to determine the illumination level of your headunit. Seriously, I don't know which pissed me off more: The fact that I spent two days troubleshooting my wiring nightmare, or the fact that my buddy came over, looked at it, and suggested connecting the purple wire (the handbrake indicator thingy that unlocks video playback) to the orange wire. I said that's ridiculous; the wiring diagram clearly states orange to orange. He says just humor me, try it. Of course it f*cking worked. God d*mn it.

-Steve
      2005 S60R - Ti/Nord, Navi, 6MT Goodies: IPD, UR, VIVA, Takspeed, EST, Bell, ...and Evolve
      2006 V70R - Elec Silver/Nord, 6MT Goodies: Bone friggin' stock!
      "It must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness" - Helmutt Ranff

Quote Originally Posted by FORD420diesel View Post
      Second note: If anyone is installing the Bluepower head unit, when it gets to the part where they say connect the orange illumination line to the orange wire coming out of the ICELINK (CANBus reader thing), laugh. Call them names. Only actually do this if you want the handbrake to determine the illumination level of your headunit. Seriously, I don't know which pissed me off more: The fact that I spent two days troubleshooting my wiring nightmare, or the fact that my buddy came over, looked at it, and suggested connecting the purple wire (the handbrake indicator thingy that unlocks video playback) to the orange wire. I said that's ridiculous; the wiring diagram clearly states orange to orange. He says just humor me, try it. Of course it f*cking worked. God d*mn it.

-Steve
      Sorry to hear! There has been a production mistake from the ICELINK producer on our last bath from them. They mixed up two wires position.

Quote Originally Posted by FORD420diesel View Post
      I swear, my R loves to frustrate me. This evening, I attempted an install of the TWM shift knob. Easy, right? No, wrong. 3 hours later, I'm giving up before I start throwing sh*t. My shift rod is made out of un-threadable metal. I defy anyone to put threading on my rod (wait, what?). This is like that 'pull the sword outta the stone' game. You can't do it. CAN'T. Yes, I used oil. Yes, I upgraded to a real tap / die set when I couldn't get it with the POS little die thing they sent with the package. No, it cannot be done.

-Steve
      Are you sure that you're using the right sized die (M8x1.25 IIRC)? If you're using a die that is too small, it will be almost impossible to thread (trying to cut too much from the rod) and won't be threaded properly for the insert.

Do you have the die oriented the right way up? One side of the die should have a bevelled edge with cutting grooves that gradually increase in depth so that it fits nicely onto the rod and gradually cuts to a greater depth.

Are you starting the cutting/threading without oil? Don't add the cutting oil until after you've cut about 1 full rotation of the die, then add the oil and back it off (reverse rotation) by 1/4 rotation to clear the cutting debris and then proceed with further forward rotations.
      04 VR Ti/Atacama MT

Quote Originally Posted by soupandspoons View Post
      Are you sure that you're using the right sized die (M8x1.25 IIRC)? If you're using a die that is too small, it will be almost impossible to thread (trying to cut too much from the rod) and won't be threaded properly for the insert.

Do you have the die oriented the right way up? One side of the die should have a bevelled edge with cutting grooves that gradually increase in depth so that it fits nicely onto the rod and gradually cuts to a greater depth.

Are you starting the cutting/threading without oil? Don't add the cutting oil until after you've cut about 1 full rotation of the die, then add the oil and back it off (reverse rotation) by 1/4 rotation to clear the cutting debris and then proceed with further forward rotations.
      Yes, yes, and yes. Dude, I've tried everything; that's what's really p*ssing me off. I checked and rechecked that it is the right die (then at the 2 hour mark, randomly changed up the M8's to see if ANY would start; none did). Yes, but after a while started to doubt myself as nothing had happened and so I flipped it around. And then back around. And again. And... gawwwwwww.

Tried with no oil. Then with a touch of oil. Then soaked. And every stage in between. For 3 hours. Goodnight people, I'm sleeping on it. I'll try again tomorrow.

I do appreciate the feedback though; now I know it's not to be oiled at the start, and to stick with the beveled side of the die.

-Steve
      2005 S60R - Ti/Nord, Navi, 6MT Goodies: IPD, UR, VIVA, Takspeed, EST, Bell, ...and Evolve
      2006 V70R - Elec Silver/Nord, 6MT Goodies: Bone friggin' stock!
      "It must be made to look the best and most evil in its evilness" - Helmutt Ranff

Good luck - I got my shift knob threaded in about 20 minutes. It was VERY hard to get started, but took right off once I got the first few turns - it IS possible
      2004 S60R Black Sapphire Metallic / Nordkap Seats and the 6 speed ---> IPD CAI w/ K&N Filter, IPD R-Kelly Intake, IPD R-Boost Gauge (V2), IPD Lower Trans Mount, IPD Upper Engine Mount, IPD Poly Sway Bar Bushings, IPD Downpipe, IPD Stage 2 Tune, GSX Intercooler & Piping, IPD HD TCV, IPD Silver Door Pins/Bezels, 7.5 psi wastegate, Updated Clutch/Slave, Mobil 0W-30, Redline MT90, TWM Shortshifter, TWM shift knob, TWM base bushings.

this is very interesting i was able to thread the shift knob in about 5 minuites once i got a real dye with no cutting oil. you are using a handle with the dye right? and yes the dye twm provides isnt worth the metal it is made out of.
      2004 S60R, black sapphire, nordikap, M66, Autotech Stage2, K&N, 3" DP, EST catback w/ EST res delete, viva HD CBV,viva FMIC, TWM short shift, snabb intake pipe, TME springs, IPD track spec sways.

Senior Member 850arrrsaylikepirate's Avatar
      Sorry for your troubles Steve, you should have gotten an automatic
      2006 S60R - Black Sapphire~Nordkap~GT~iPd Track Spec Sways~TME Springs~TME DP-Exhaust~Bell FMIC~iMIV~E-Codes
      2009 XC90 3.2 AWD - aka the kiddo hauler
      1997 4x4 Nissan - Fook mi this thing is slow

Good call on stopping before frustration got to you. Definitely don't want to break anything in these caRs haha. Nothings cheap inside or outside of these things.

It was very hard for me to get started with a good die set but once you get her to catch your off and running. It took every bit of strength I had to push down and turn to get it to bite. Keep trying don't give up. Hey where is the guy that helped with the radio? Let him try. Sorry had to go there.
      2006 S60R-Passion Red, 6MT, IAQS, Touring, Climate, Convenience, Nordkap, Sport Kit, Bluetooth, RKelley CAI, DIY Strut Bar Conversion, IMP Concepts Boost Gauge, QBM Lower Trans and Upper Bushing(round conversion), 18" Pegs (powder coated wet black), Front Grill Painted Black, 40% Huper Optic Tint, EST Cat Back With Resonator Delete, Headlight Mods, 55W 3K HID Fogs, IPD iPod Adapter, TWM Short Shift and M1 Abrahms knob..... More to come!

Wow. I tried for about 3 hours with a set from Autozone and gave up. Then I had a guy at MB automotive in LI do it with a real die kit and it took less than 3 minutes, easy as pie. He didn't even try hard to get it started. Using a proper die kit really makes a world of difference.