Thinking about ordering
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thinking about ordering

Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a few days, but I'm getting more serious about purchasing a 2012 S60 T5 so I thought I would introduce myself and ask a few questions.

Based on the colors, features, etc. that I am looking for it appears I will have to order my S60. How does this work? When do I need to put up money for the car? Do I pay for it when I order it or is the money due at another time? Are the financing deals available on an ordered vehicle or are they valid on existing stock only?

I'll probably have more questions, but I really appreciate advice from those who have been through the ordering process. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rabidgopher04 View Post
      Hello everyone! I've been lurking for a few days, but I'm getting more serious about purchasing a 2012 S60 T5 so I thought I would introduce myself and ask a few questions.
      Not to hijack your thread, but I am in the exact same boat and would like answers to your good questions and a few more:

1. I have browsed the selection on a few lots in the Bay Area in the company of salesmen, but don't know how to begin negotiating price with them. Should I configure the exact car that I am looking for and then email that to the salesmen and ask for an "out the door" price quote? Should I forget about color and just stick to the options in order to arrive at a price first, and then worry about availability?

2. I don't want to insult the salesmen I have worked with and would like to see them paid (versus someone I have spent no time with), but is it fair/reasonable to "play them off one another" (for lack of better words) by sending my request for a quote to both of them simultaneously? The S60 T5 as I would like it configured is more than I started out looking to spend on a new car, and while the two salesmen I have met are nice guys, I can't afford to throw extra money away unnecessarily at this point just because they are nice guys!

3. Is there an additional charge if the car has to be built and shipped from the factory vs. buying one off the lot?

I have to make a decision about a car this weekend, and reading this forum over the last few weeks has been a big help. Thanks!

The negotiation process isn't much different than if the dealer has the car in stock. You will agree on a build and price and the dealer will probably ask for a deposit. IIRC, you can lock the programs in at order or build date (don't remember which) but can also benefit if the programs get better at delivery time.
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

And if you think about ordering a car you might want to consider the OSD (overseas delivery program)...especially, if like the foreign travel...

Very competitive no-haggle pricing, and unbelievable experience...

see the OSD forum here and

http://www.volvocars.com/us/sales-se...s/default.aspx
      2008 S80 3.2; 2005 XC90 V8 AWD; 2003 S60 2.4T

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. So I put down a deposit at order time, but when do I need to pay the rest? Would financing take place at the time of order or at some time before delivery (after the car is in production)?

You'd pay the rest when you pick up the car. You might want to get the financing pre-approved ahead of time, if possible. That way there's no surprises two months down the road.

Ours is on the boat now so we've yet to pay in full. But we put down a deposit and already traded in a car with the credit towards the final price. We'll bring a cashiers check for the balance at closing. I was apprehensive about giving them our old car two months before ours arrived. But from our perspective our purchase was/is a done deal after the test drive, so no regrets thus far.

Thanks, Dave. If I may ask, how much was your deposit? Or, in your estimation what is the average deposit price?

What options are you planning on ordering/purchasing Gopher? I cannot decide on anything - exterior color, interior color, options, nothing! At least you have that piece figured out.

I am thinking:

1. T5
      2. Njord 8x17 Alloy Wheels (I like them better and for only a few hundred dollars this seems like a no-brainer)
      3. Premium Package
      3. Climate Package
      4. Park Assist Front and Rear
      5. PCC
      6. Sports Pedals (I think they look cool and easier to clean up than regular peddles; yes, I have a self-diagnosed case of OCD!)
      7. Navigation Prep (Why I don't know...resale value? Adding navigation down the road?)
      8. Dual Xenon Gas Discharge Headlights w/Active Bending Lights (This is the one option I am most unsure about...worth it? More distinctive looking? Safer? Annoying and/or unsettling to have headlights "move" with the steering wheel at night? Prone to malfunction down the road?)

Help! Somebody please just tell me what to do.

Johnny, my thoughts...

1. Good choice.
      2. They look nice and are easy to clean.
      3. A must, for leather seating.
      4. Also good to have.
      5. Park Assist comes in handy.
      6. PCC is a nice feature but isn't a necessity.
      7. Sport Pedals look great and are actually a bit harder to clean.
      8. Nav prep is forced by some markets, anyways. For $100 you get the cabling required to retrofit it later on. Impossible otherwise.
      9. The xenon lights are great. They're very reliable, brighter, and the movement becomes 'natural' after a while.
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Grey/Black
      2011 BMW M3 Coupe - Alpine White/Black Novillo Leather

Quote Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
      Johnny, my thoughts...
      Thanks for the quick (and thorough) response. The xenons were the only thing on the list that seemed questionable to me, but if you say they are great, I'll take your word for it!

What about the multimedia package? I haven't seen anyone rave about the navigation system and don't know that upgraded sound alone is worth $2,700 to me. I might be happier with that money in my pocket and a top of the line Garmin in the glove box, as I have never had navigation before and (at least at this point) wouldn't know what I'm missing. I could afford it, but... What do you think WD? Must have?

I am enjoying watching your "project" car come together. Very cool. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, Dave. If I may ask, how much was your deposit? Or, in your estimation what is the average deposit price?
      I suppose it varies by dealer and it also may be refundable.

In our case, we put down $1000 on a $51,000 car after options and accessories. I believe the dealer saw it as a gesture of good faith that we were serious. He indicated that it would be refundable as odds are he'd sell the car given the current demand for S60s and there being no others available with this configuration.

Of course, they also have our Land Rover. We opted to trade it before closing to get the most resale value. Also, the license plates, insurance, and inspection were a few days away from renewal so that saved us a small fortune. Them taking our car may have played into their deposit requirements, so YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
      Thanks for the quick (and thorough) response. The xenons were the only thing on the list that seemed questionable to me, but if you say they are great, I'll take your word for it!

What about the multimedia package? I haven't seen anyone rave about the navigation system and don't know that upgraded sound alone is worth $2,700 to me. I might be happier with that money in my pocket and a top of the line Garmin in the glove box, as I have never had navigation before and (at least at this point) wouldn't know what I'm missing. I could afford it, but... What do you think WD? Must have?

I am enjoying watching your "project" car come together. Very cool. Thanks for the advice!
      $2700 is a lot of coin for just a GPS.

I'm not yet sure if the premium sound is worth the price of admission, but we paid for it.

Customizing the stereo later will be difficult, if not impossible, until the aftermarket catches up. Even then, there will be issues getting Sensus to integrate with everything. I've bastardized enough cars in my life. So, I took the easy way out and coughed up the money.

Great configuration Johnny! I'm torn between two different models. I've been shopping around the following configuration to dealers:

1. T5
      2. Vibrant Copper
      3. Beechwood
      4. Premium Package
      5. Climate Package
      6. Njord Wheels (non-SST)
      7. Rubber Mats
      8. PCC

However, I am not completely convinced I want Vibrant Copper. I like Saville Grey and Flamenco Red. My preferred dealer has a car on the lot with the following configuration:

1. T5
      2. Saville Grey
      3. Beechwood
      4. Premium Package
      5. Climate Package
      6. Active Xenon Headlamps
      7. Trunk spoiler
      8. PCC
      9. Nav prep

I'm thinking about going into the dealership to negotiation for the grey one because I can be flexible with exterior color. I'm thinking I can get the Njord wheels from the parts department if I really want them. Many choices lie ahead!

$500 down is common, but some luxury marque dealers request $1000. Most dealers will refund the deposit if the deal falls through, but there is usually some fine print in the p&s agreement that they have the option of keeping the deposit if they want to. Usually this is only done if the car ordered is an oddball choice of color or options that will not be readily salable to another customer.

Quote Originally Posted by meltdowndave View Post
      $2700 is a lot of coin for just a GPS.
      It's not "$2,700 for only GPS". The MM package gives you (other than the Navigation System), the Rear View Camera and Premium Sound System. If you value these 3 options, $2,700 is a pretty good deal.

However, if you do not, you can just install Navigation System for $1,895. With that, you get voice-activated Bluetooth which is invaluable if you plan on spending a lot of time in the car and/or use your car as a mobile office where you have to handle calls.
      2001 Volvo V70 T5 M SR, Classic Red/Graphite Lthr, TME Stage II ECU, 3" Downpipe w/ Cat-back exhaust from MTE, Volvo Roadholding & Lowering Kit w/ Nivomats, 17" PEGASUS, Rear Spoiler, Dolby Surround Sound
      2015 V60 T5 Drive-E, BrightSilver w/ Beechwood/Black Sport leather Climate/ Platinum/Technology/BLIS/Park Pilot/Sport w/ 19" BOR,Connected Touch,FR CAMERA

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
      2. I don't want to insult the salesmen I have worked with and would like to see them paid (versus someone I have spent no time with), but is it fair/reasonable to "play them off one another" (for lack of better words) by sending my request for a quote to both of them simultaneously? The S60 T5 as I would like it configured is more than I started out looking to spend on a new car, and while the two salesmen I have met are nice guys, I can't afford to throw extra money away unnecessarily at this point just because they are nice guys!
      Johnny - I used the Costco purchasing program and was presented with a price that was lower than the Edmunds TMV, and what I would have asked for! Happy Hunting - Stan
      MINE: 2012 S60 T5, Flamenco Red/Beige, Premium/Climate/PCC/Sport Pedals/Rear Spoiler
      HERS: 2004 V70 White/Tan
      DAUGHTERS: 2008 Honda Accord Sedan
      WEEKEND: 1992 Mazda Miata Red