SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Front Caliper bolt torque setting 2007 S40 2.4i

13K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Delhibeli 
#1 ·
What is the torque setting for the front caliper bolts:

The haynes manual I have says:
Front caliper bracket bolts: 89ft lbs / 120 Nm
caliper quide pins: 22 ft lbs / 20 Nm

Is this correct. I don't want to break them.

Thanks

#2 ·
89 looks high. I just did my rears, and the Volvo pads came with instructions that said to torque those to 50 or 52 ft lbs. so 30+ more for the fronts seems high.

#3 · (Edited)
Here is what was in VIDA for 2007 S40 2.4i;

Brake caliper in steering arm, front 120 Nm
Rear brake caliper in longitudinal stay & Joint, brace 70 Nm
Brake pipe M10 with 11 mm wrench on the connection nipple 14 Nm
Brake pipe M12 with 11 mm wrench on the connection nipple 14 Nm
Brake pipe M10 with 13 mm wrench on the connection nipple 18 Nm
Brake pipe M12 with 13 mm wrench on the connection nipple 18 Nm
Brake hose in brake caliper 23 Nm
Brake fluid reservoir in master cylinder 3.5 Nm
Sliding pin in front brake caliper 30 Nm
Sliding pin in rear brake caliper Joint 30 Nm
Air nipple in brake caliper & Front brake hose joint in brake caliper 14 Nm

Hope this helps
delhi

#5 ·
Its a pain at times to find the correct part names. It even seems manufactures use different names for the same parts. I guess different divisions have different names. As for which one is the caliper bolt, not sure how to translate that as in my mind, they are all caliper bolts but maybe this will help.

The front brakes only have four bolts. Two are the guide pins (item 9 below) which requires a 7 mm hex Allen and two are flange bolts (item 5 below).

The guide pins are listed as sliding pins above and are torque to 30Nm. The flange bolts are listed as brake caliper in steering arm and are torque to 120Nm.

The guide pins allow the floating part of the caliper to move.

The flange bolts mount the caliper bracket (stationary part) to the steering knuckle (another change in name, knuckle and arm).

As to make it more interesting, Volvo calls the Floating part (item 1) the caliper and the stationary part (item 6) the brake caliper bracket. So why not in the torque listing, did it not say, the guide pins to 30Nm and the caliper bracket flange bolts to 120Nm.

Here is a drawing of the parts.

Sorry for the over explanation but maybe it will help,

delhi

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.