Crankshaft Position Sensor Location 2004
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Location 2004

Can someone point to where the Crankshaft Position Sensor is on the 04 S60/V70 Turbo engine?

Link to larger image: http://imageonthefly.autodatadirect....OC171C3104.jpg

it's on top of the transmission where it (the transmission) mates to the engine. a 10mm nut secures it to its bracket.

When changing mine, the two wires pulled out of the connector - what is the color code for the plug? Thanks!

Is it under the air filter duct/hose?

All it takes to remove it is to undo the 10mm nut and unplug it?

I posted in another thread about my engine problems (2004 V70 2.5T with Engine System Service Required message); I plan to replace the crankshaft position sensor as soon as I figure out exactly what it involves. I think I found it based on another picture. Not many Volvo mechanics around here other than the dealer ($$$). Thanks.

hey, the crankshaft sensor is down under the rad hose, I circled the area in the picture, it takes maybe 10-20 minutes to get to and get it out depending on how fast you work and how well you know your car. they are expensive tho. yes just one bolt and a plug be careful when working on it how ever because the bracket that holds it on becomes very brittle and is a pain to get out. I can get a better picture of it if you want. but it is attached to the block between the trans, and output side of the engine, sits right over the flywheel. On the v70 t5 2002 at least.

Forgot pic.

$73 part.
      Ours is intermittently bad, but apparently its a rare failure. Might just be a dirty connector. MAkes for hard starts sometimes.
      Looks like a quick and easy job to replace.
      SOAR Superbike Series
      Novice #22
      Honda Fireblade
      Yamaha R6
      2002 V70 T5

I agree with everything written. Just replaced mine on 2004 V70 2.5T. A long extension with 10mm socket can remove the nut...have a magnet or parts grabber handy. Remove the sensor from its post and flip it toward you upside down; you'll be able to pull it gently out and disconnect the cable. I put some dielectric grease on the new connection and plugged it back in. Flip it upside down again and set it on its post. Next is the tricky part: getting the nut back on without dropping it. There isn't much room to get your hands down there. The guy from Autozone used a telescopic magnet to set the nut in place. Then he was able to work the threads with his finger tips. Once the threads start, put the 10mm socket with extension on it and you're done.

The red circle looks right for where to find it. If you hold the replacement part with the cylinder pointed down and the connection plug pointed toward the front of the car, you'll recognize the top of the sensor looking through that circle. You will have to move some small rubber hoses to the left (Passenger side) to see the sensor.

Cheers

I agree with the grease suggestion, they really botched the bracket design, as it's a plastic bracket with bolts covered by the bell housing. So if your sensor happens to be stuck in the bracket, and you gently twist it to release it, you can break the bracket so that it will require you to pull the tranny to fix it. That or you dremel a whole lot of bell housing away to get the bolts out.

I found this out on my junked 03 motor. When I went to pull the sensor to store for a spare, the whole bracket just came apart. I looked at it and was instantly really glad that it was the blown motor that wasn't going back in a car.
      2003 C70 T5M Convertible - Eibachs, Koni FSDs, Enkei RSF5s, OBX downpipe, Snabb intake & RIP kit, AL Intercooler, Quaife LSD, 19T, JZW tune pushing 20 psi. Summer fun car
      2001 V70 T5M - Black on black, H&R springs, Triton wheels, Koni FSDs, Daily driver
      1966 122s - Collectible project, restoration and many mods on the way.
      RIP - 2004 C70 HPT Convertible, 5 speed swap

Where is the Camshaft position sensor on that pic??

The cam shaft position sensor is behind the the upper engine mount pocketed between that and the the head. The torque mount comes down and bolts to the top of the head. If you pull that off you will see a black plastic cap on the end of the can shaft between the head and a piece of aluminum. Its not hard to get to. I can circle it or try and get a better pic of its location later on.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

A pic would be great!! Thanks helps a lot!! I have A p0014 code trying to get rid of.

Just a quick sketch. Does this help any?