How To Change The Oil On An M66 Transmission - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      It's not the weight per say, it's the coefficient of friction. As you have discovered those two are incorrect. So is Redline MT.

Use OEM or Redline MTL. Since you already ordered the Volvo stuff, just use it. Very high quality, no worries at all.
      Ok so http://www.amazon.com/Red-Line-50204...ype=automotive... This would be the one?

How come this is listed for the M66 ? http://www.ipdusa.com/prodtype.asp?C...ategorycrumbs= MT90 ?
      Last edited by jdsr917; 03-19-2013 at 04:55 PM.
      S40 T5

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Yes, your Amazon link is correct.
      The IPD description is very misleading. Use the Redline Application Chart, it's quite good.
      Last edited by pczeilon; 03-19-2013 at 09:16 PM.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by pczeilon View Post
      Yes, your Amazon link is correct.
      The IPD description is very misleading. Use the Redline application chart, it's quite good. I'll link to it later, their site seems to be down at the moment.

Thank You very much!
      I will doing the OEM fluid for a few months then a switch to the Redline since the last 2 fluids failed me, i would like a some what flush to happen. Although i should use a lot more for a full flush i am sure it will do fine.
      S40 T5

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

I'm currently using Amsoil MTG 75w-90 GL-4. I changed out the volvo fluid at 30k, C30 now has 42k on it. Shifts a little smoother than with the factory fill. In my experience Amsoil MTG works extremely well in the M66. FWIW
      2009 Volvo C30 T5/M66 6-Speed: Autotech tune, Elevate Inlet Manifold & Intercooler, Simons Sportsystem (Cat-Back), e-focus RMM, Gates Racing (Kevlar) timing belt, iPD skidplate + silicone radiator & boost coupler hoses, HD Ignition Coils, Amsoil Bumper2Bumper,more to come! Stay Tuned.

Pics coming back up anytime soon? Doing this tomorrow..

briancpearce, could you please fix the image links?

I just changed the fluid in my M56 trans (2.4i 5 speed) and the fill plugs are located in a less advantageous spot than the M66 (t5 6 speed) aka further behind the support member. This requires you to either 1) get the Volvo tool 2) get an perfectly offset long 24mm wrench 3) hit it with a impact chisel. I replaced the Volvo oil with redline MTL 70-80w and it shifts: as good warm, but much better cold as the original fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIdeasWereTaken View Post
      briancpearce, could you please fix the image links?
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Drain & Add 2 Qts. Only If You have it Jacked on Drivers side , Your able to get a little more in Put that's an Over File . Yes they hold more , but
      Not all will ever drain out . Volvo Mechanic - couldn't even get more in M66 when they did the Change .
      Have changed My M66 2 times - experimenting with other Oils . ( Went back to stock Oil ) . .

Think I'd be using a sightly Heavier Oil If running the K16
      ** V50 AWD - Handling & Performance Tweaks = New Stance / VW CC - Handling Tweaks - Testing & Porting - Intake Mods
      A Garden Gate will Last You a Life Time . http://s261.photobucket.com/user/Eng...0Trim%20%20etc

Is it possible to messure how long this low-profile socket is?
      I can't find this information in webshop.

Thanks a lot

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Daenni View Post
      Is it possible to messure how long this low-profile socket is?
      The overall height is 26mm.
      The height to the top of the "boss" is 21mm.
      The diameter is 33mm.

2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva Forge CBV, Elevate rear swaybar and torque mount, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2016 XC60 T6 AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Hello.

Can anyone upload the pictures again? Or just answer to my question. Is this the up filling plug?

Yup, the tricky one is the fill plug. Post #25, the blurry object in the left side of the pic is the left inner CV boot.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Thank you for the fast response. I only changed transmission oil on BMW E46 2002 manual 5speed. Is the method same? Fill it up until it is flowing out? Of course the car is on level.

Yes, exactly the same.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Hello again. I´m was under the car today (oil and filters change) and noticed that have one more bolt what is looks like more an fill bolt. The bolt looks like exactly the same like a bolt under where the old fluid should going out. I make a mark on the picture (the upper one) and also uploaded a video where i think is the 3. bolt.

Use bolts two (drain) & three (fill). Ignore the first bolt you pointed at.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Okej. That is what i thought too. Because only those two bolt is the same and have a washers. Thank you again.

Hello! I have a couple of questions... My shifter seems a bit harder than before most of the times when the transmission it's cold, so I was planning to do a 50/50 fluid change tomorrow, is there something that I should know? Where do I fill the transmission? Is it in the driver's side? Thank you and the car is a s40 awd m66

Quote Originally Posted by lpct5 View Post
      Hello! I have a couple of questions... My shifter seems a bit harder than before most of the times when the transmission it's cold, so I was planning to do a 50/50 fluid change tomorrow, is there something that I should know? Where do I fill the transmission? Is it in the driver's side? Thank you and the car is a s40 awd m66
      Left side, USA driver's side. Look at posts #51 & 52 for plug location.
      I have no idea what a 50/50 fluid change is. Get the transmission warm, drain & fill, exactly like changing engine oil. Make sure you can get the fill plug loose BEFORE you drain the fluid. It's a tricky bugger & without the proper tools you are sunk.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

My Volvo is an M66 AWD. how exactly do you check the level? I see the drain bolt and another big bolt quite a bit above it, but when I removed it it had a little ball inside of the bolt I poked a straw (about 2 inches) inside and did not see any oil, but it does seem awfully high up for a check plug compared to some other cars. Is there another check plug?

It's a shame the original pictures are gone. Look at this post. Fill/check plug is just to the rear of the CV joint on the left side. Looks identical to the drain plug. You'll know it's correct because the only way to access it is with a stubby socket like the one pictured. The subframe will block a full height socket.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

When the servers changed (not that that effected the image links) the URLs changed slightly too. So I can't even find the original thread with Wayback Machine...

Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      My Volvo is an M66 AWD. how exactly do you check the level? ... Is there another check plug?
      You pump trans oil into the fill hole until it runs back out of the hole - it's a fill-and-forget situation; there is not another check plug.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

Quote Originally Posted by mercdude View Post
      You pump trans oil into the fill hole until it runs back out of the hole - it's a fill-and-forget situation; there is not another check plug.
      Ah, so I probably need fluid, and soon.

Should I use that redline stuff from Amazon?

Should I use that redline stuff from Amazon?
      Yes, Redline MTL is an acceptable substitute & works well.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Agreed, redline MTL is a fantastic fluid, especially at colder temps. You should change all the fluid in your AWD drivetrain (trans, transfer, haldex coupler, and rear diff). Oh, don't forget the haldex coupler filter (super easy to change). As a point of reference, at inspection: My manual trans fluid poured a little out of the fill plug; the hadlex coupler fluid was super low and couldn't be touched via fill hole, rear diff poured a little out of the fille plug; and the transfer - well honestly I couldn't find the damn drain plug .

Maybe someone can help me out with that one???
      2005 V50 T5 AWD M66

volvo 9997301

I have the much more difficult to open five speed transmission so I really needed the 9997301 tool. But that thing was expensive!
      So I bought a regular 24mm wrench and used a propane burner and a sturdy bench vise. This got it just glowing red so I could hammer it into shape.

I could then lock on to the stubby end with a beefy crescent wrench.

Much cheaper than the original tool.

Quote Originally Posted by jantjehop View Post
      I have the much more difficult to open five speed transmission so I really needed the 9997301 tool. But that thing was expensive!
      So I bought a regular 24mm wrench and used a propane burner and a sturdy bench vise. This got it just glowing red so I could hammer it into shape.

I could then lock on to the stubby end with a beefy crescent wrench.

Much cheaper than the original tool.
      I used a shallow socket with a swivel and then an 8" extension onto a block of wood with a 3' breaker bar. I swear it took my bodyweight (200lbs) bouncing on the end of that bar + liquid wrench + heat to get it both undone. Both made a huge CRACK when they came off just like the rear haldex and diff bolts. After a while those crush washers seem to weld themselves to both the bolt and unit they're attached to. I put 85w-140 in it and so far no issues. It feels MUCH better on hot days, but if it's cold (-20*F) or more it'll have to warm up or it'll stop the engine when you let the clutch out in neutral.
      Last edited by avenger09123; 03-26-2017 at 09:11 PM.
      2006 Volvo S40 AWD T5 M66 - Dusty Rusty
      2012 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT - Slowmobile - CAI only, Powerstop Rotors+Pads.
      1996 HD Electra Glide - Big Bertha 10:1 Pistons; EV13 Cam: Ultima Digital Ignition; Buell Head Conversion; E85 Carb Tuned;

Quote Originally Posted by avenger09123 View Post
      I used a shallow socket with a swivel and then an 8" extension onto a block of wood with a 3' breaker bar. I swear it took my bodyweight (200lbs) bouncing on the end of that bar + liquid wrench + heat to get it both undone. Both made a huge CRACK when they came off just like the rear haldex and diff bolts. After a while those crush washers seem to weld themselves to both the bolt and unit they're attached to. I put 85w-140 in it and so far no issues. It feels MUCH better on hot days, but if it's cold (-20*F) or more it'll have to warm up or it'll stop the engine when you let the clutch out in neutral.
      Yup, that sounds very familiar. That thing was on there tight!

Got the fill bolt with the Lisle 24mm shallow socket, a 3/8" drive extension, and an 18" breaker bar. Easy did it.

Put some Redline MTL in and holy hell, it shifts nice. Downshifts are much more buttery and I don't feel clunks in the tranny anymore, even when I am driving aggressively. I'm very pleased.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

What size crush washer? Is it the same as the motor oil plug washer?
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

Yes, same size (18.3mm). I used 11998 which is a copper washer.
      2007 V70 5 Speed
      2005 S40 2.4i 5 Speed

1995 855 5 Speed SOLD

Thanks kindly
      2005 V50 T5 FWD M66 Passion Red (Radio Flyer)

1998 V70 NA - Sold, 2002 S40 1.9T - R.I.P., 2005 V50 T5 - RIP

Remember kids, Speed doesn't kill ... impact does!

37. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2