2005 S60 T5 loss of power/boost leak
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

2005 S60 T5 loss of power/boost leak

So recently the cars been driving awesome...well sunday night i was driving home, and around 2600-3000 rpm in 4th gear i punched it to feel a little boost powa. Well that didnt happen...i felt a rush of air escaping at some point....boost stayed around 14 psi then it would drop to about 12-13ish and hover...The car still moved and drove. I can still boost anddrive normally but i feel as if i lost like 25whp. So this morning i took off my intake piping to the turbo...put it back on and tightened everything. Checked all the couplers...intercoooler and TCV. Test drove it and the leak/power loss is still there. It kinda feels like running an open DP with no back pressure. The air/exhaust or whatever is escaping at some point. IDK were to begin the process of elimination. The car seems to putt at idle....starting it up is rough and it sputters and the RPMs jump by themselves. But then idle evens out and it only sputters if i tap the gas pedal. If anyone has any clues or ideas to what it could be please let me know. Track day is august 10th and idk if i can fix it by then.

Also, the noise gets very very loud around 3k rpm mark...like very very loud. Usually when i let off the gas after im in boost the CBV lets out air and the noise is distinct (as in i know how it sounds by heart). It has changed since the power loss started happening, and it doesnt make the high pitched air release sound....Its more like a big release of air at once. So idk if my spring is beat or what. I also tried to see how much it sputtered by taking it to around 4k rpm and keeping it steady ( like holding the pedal in one spot and holding my speed)...and it sputters like back and forth trying to hold the car steady. I just hope the turbo isnt shot. People told me when im driving and i punch it they see a black puff of smoke come out of my exhaust...and said i may be burning oil. But i think thats because i am catless.

Few things come to mind reading your post, first would be to check the diaphragm in the CBV on the turbo compressor cover.

Second, burning oil produces a blue smoke not black. Black smoke is excess fuel, if you have a boost leak it's gonna be running very rich. Catless will make this even more noticeable.
      Our Work Is Never Over.

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by diablo2828 View Post
      Also, the noise gets very very loud around 3k rpm mark...like very very loud. Usually when i let off the gas after im in boost the CBV lets out air and the noise is distinct (as in i know how it sounds by heart). It has changed since the power loss started happening, and it doesnt make the high pitched air release sound....Its more like a big release of air at once. So idk if my spring is beat or what. I also tried to see how much it sputtered by taking it to around 4k rpm and keeping it steady ( like holding the pedal in one spot and holding my speed)...and it sputters like back and forth trying to hold the car steady. I just hope the turbo isnt shot. People told me when im driving and i punch it they see a black puff of smoke come out of my exhaust...and said i may be burning oil. But i think thats because i am catless.
      This sounds like your charged air pipe (over the engine) is loose at the turbo connection. You should have a silicone coupler connecting the turbo to the pipe. Check that connection.
      George - ViVA Performance
      http://www.vivaperformance.com
      email: parts@vivaperformance.com
      "Like" us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/vivaperformance
      Check out my Classifieds Listings! Part 2 | Part 3

I found the leak! It was the lower IC coupler from the IC to the OTE pipe...had a nasty tear in it near the clamp. Swaped it out with the one from my S60 2.5T and boom its back to normaal.

Quote Originally Posted by diablo2828 View Post
      I found the leak! It was the lower IC coupler from the IC to the OTE pipe...had a nasty tear in it near the clamp. Swaped it out with the one from my S60 2.5T and boom its back to normaal.
      Nice job! I wasn't too far off

Haha...you were super close! You actually made me think for a minute...ok im hearing this preturbo sound so the air isnt fully making it to the turbo, which means leak somewhere in between intercooler. I did have to take everything off to even find it. it wasnt visible from above. Ordering new silicone ones today!

Hmmm, Isn't the intercooler after the turbo? (To cool the compressed air.) That's the way it appears the piping runs.... Airfilter -> turbo -> OTE Pipe -> Intercooler -> throttle body
      2006 S60 2.5T: Eibach ProKit, IDP Sways & Links, 17" Pegs, Optimized TB, Snaab Turbo Intake, RICA Stage II, OBX DP with 3" Magnaflow Cat., SS Brake Lines, 305mm T5 Rotors & Calipers, Rear Lip Spoiler

Quote Originally Posted by twowheelin View Post
      Hmmm, Isn't the intercooler after the turbo? (To cool the compressed air.) That's the way it appears the piping runs.... Airfilter -> turbo -> OTE Pipe -> Intercooler -> throttle body
      Yes, I think he just may be confused or a typo.
      '04 S60 2.5T

Vent pods- http://bprayventpods.webs.com/

Typo lol.