Gas smell after ignition/starting car?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Gas smell after ignition/starting car?

Hi all,

I have this weird problem. Here's exactly what happens.

My car is not apparently leaking gas; I don't smell gas as I approach it. I open the door to the pleasant smell of the, uh, whatever the previous owner used when he cleaned up the car to sell it to me a few weeks ago. Maybe leather conditioner, I'm not sure. Anyway, so I get in the driver's seat and close the door. The windows are closed, sunroof is closed, trunk is closed, back seats are up. I put the key in the ignition and start the car. Suddenly the whole inside of the car is filled with the strong smell of gas. The air kicks in, and within a minute the gas smell has been replaced by clean-smelling air. The car drives as it has been the past few weeks. Before purchase, the car passed a pre-sales inspection with only a slowly leaking front strut.

So given that complete description of my problem, what could be causing this smell? I am pretty short on money right now so I'm basically looking to see, is there something I can easily check myself? (I am not very car-savvy but can follow pictures and instructions; I don't have any ramps or lifts but could look into getting some if I need to get under the car) How worried should I be about this? I don't think it was doing this a week or two ago. Is this something that I can get checked out for free? There is no CEL but maybe I should induce one and go get the free code pull from the dealership?

Also, I had a bit of "engine stumble" a few days ago which I described here, so could that be related? Unfortunately I don't know exactly when I started noticing this gas smell, I wish I did.

Thanks!
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, silver, nav/fog/xenon/leather/rainsensor/powereverything/premiumsound, everything stock

Have you inspected carefully under the hood before starting the car, especially behind the engine and in front of the firewall/cowl? A smell that appears when first starting the car (and in particular, first running the cabin air intake fan) is strongly suggestive of vapors being pulled into the vents.

On the 2005's there was a specific recall to replace two fuel lines that were located in exactly this position. They were affected by the heat of the manifold and a new teflon line was to be installed. You certainly want to visit a dealer and verify that this recall was performed on your car. They can pull the record from the VIN, but a physical inspection would be best to follow up.

Edit: here's the recall (from 2006) http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...type=DrillDown

If there's no obvious source, then an ordinary garage emissions sniffer can be used to pinpoint possible leaks even if they aren't readily visible.
      Last edited by tmtalpey; 08-06-2011 at 10:13 AM.
      2005 V50 T5 AWD 6MT w/Heico tune, Heico exhaust, Bell intercooler, IPD TCV, Viva CBV, Elevate rear swaybar, Snabb shift kit, etc.
      2004 XC90 2.5T AWD
      1956 PV444 complete, running
      1956 PV444 very original, very rough

Could be your fuel pump is bad. Or your fuel pressure sensor/line.

---
      - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My YouTube Channel & My Twitter @TheCastro
      12 Mini Cooper S Hardtop
      06 XC90 V8 - for sale
      04 S60R - sold!

I don't think there's an obvious source. Again, I'm not really at all car-savvy (but I'm learning quickly), so I don't know exactly what I'm looking at, but I looked around for anything really obvious (a spray of gas, for example, would be a really bad sign) and didn't see anything. Also, again I just had the pre-sale inspection done a few weeks ago, so I'm hoping they would have found anything. Maybe I'm only just noticing it and it's been there all along? I doubt this is the case but I'm starting to wonder if it's just me. In any case, I'm taking it in for an oil change and light inspection this coming week (probably Monday) so I'll also mention it to them and see if they can find anything.

Given that I'm pretty paranoid about that stutter happening again, and the stutter could very well be the fuel pressure sensor that was recalled in other models, I'm inclined to wonder if that's it. But everything seems normal despite this gas smell and that one instance of stuttering. The car idles properly (around 1200 for a moment after starting before settling around 700, if I remember correctly) and drives normally. I'll definitely see what the oil change guys say, but I'm inclined not to worry about this until something else manifests (or another stutter happens).
      2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD, silver, nav/fog/xenon/leather/rainsensor/powereverything/premiumsound, everything stock