2011 Basic Audio Speaker addition
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

2011 Basic Audio Speaker addition

Hey,

I have the basic audio package with my XC60 and find the rear door speakers to be very underpowered and the absence of VERY rear speakers a bit of an issue.

As I am new to this, some advice would be welcome.

Can I install speakers in the trunk space? It looks like there are cut outs for them (solid plastic piece).

What can I do to improve the sound in the rear? The front sounds great.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Just got back from vacation and I see no one has helped you as yet. To properly answer your questions, I would need to know specifically which year XC60 you have and if 2011 is is the Sensus-based one. Secondly, you should check under your front passenger seat and see if there is an amplifier there. I do not believe speakers outside of a sub in the cargo area would be yield beneficial results. I believe the specs for the basic system are 4x25W for the amplifier section depending on your model. If that's the case then the issue, since you are fine with the fronts, is that the rear is a single driver, while the fronts have both a woofer and tweeter in the door. As the Premium system uses a woofer and tweeter in the rear, you could improve your sound by replacing the rears with front woofer/tweeter/crossover replacement parts as the tweeter mounts for the premium option should be there. This would be the cheapest and easiest approach and you can verify fit by popping your front and rear door panels before spending a dime.
      2011.5 XC60 3.2L Flamenco Red/Anthracite Black, Premium, Multimedia, Convenience, BLIS, Xenon + Custom Subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by mark-sf View Post
      Just got back from vacation and I see no one has helped you as yet. To properly answer your questions, I would need to know specifically which year XC60 you have and if 2011 is is the Sensus-based one. Secondly, you should check under your front passenger seat and see if there is an amplifier there. I do not believe speakers outside of a sub in the cargo area would be yield beneficial results. I believe the specs for the basic system are 4x25W for the amplifier section depending on your model. If that's the case then the issue, since you are fine with the fronts, is that the rear is a single driver, while the fronts have both a woofer and tweeter in the door. As the Premium system uses a woofer and tweeter in the rear, you could improve your sound by replacing the rears with front woofer/tweeter/crossover replacement parts as the tweeter mounts for the premium option should be there. This would be the cheapest and easiest approach and you can verify fit by popping your front and rear door panels before spending a dime.
      The rear speakers have a mid-woofer with a separate tweeter, that said you should be able to get some components.
      2011.5 XC60 3.2 AWD/Saville Grey Metallic/Anthracite Black Leather/Premium/Climate/BLIS/Rear Cam/HID6k

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone replaced the rear speakers with front woofer/tweeter/crossover replacement parts? If yes, what were the results?

Quote Originally Posted by mark-sf View Post

7. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements