The Ultimate "What Should I Look For When Buyin An R?" Thread
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool The Ultimate "What Should I Look For When Buyin An R?" Thread

It seems that there are a few threads each week that look an awful lot like this...

"Hey, I'm thinking of buying this R, what should I look for?"

Usually, a few people break out the pitch forks and yell at that person to search. Truth be told, the search function isn't working so great...

There are also some that answer the question, with the responses being accurate, but not always complete.

My goal in this thread is to create an excel sheet with things to look for based on transmission type and year.

I will start a list here and edit this post to add your suggestions.

This thread has an excellent chance of failing so I am counting on YOU to help it out. This way, we can point the poor n00b looking for an R to a helpful sheet instead of firing up the cross.

Here's my start on things... Please post in the format of

What to look for:
      Description:
      Year(s):
      Transmission(s):

What to look for: Torque Limiting
      Description: The torque in 1st and 2nd gears was limited to 258 ft-lbs
      Years: 04-05
      Transmission: Automatic GT

What to look for: Slave Cylinder
      Description: The slave cylinder is particularly prone to failure in these cars. Check service records to see it has been replaced. The problem has been known to crop up ~60k miles
      Years: All
      Transmission: Manual

What to look for: Leaky struts
      Description: Oil seepage anywhere on the strut
      Years: ALL
      Miles: Mileage is not a factor, road conditions are. Still worth a peek as they are expensive ($300 or more per strut - $1200+ in parts alone for all four corners).

What to look for: Angle Gear Leak
      Description: Any signs of oil/fluid on the angle gear which is in the center of the vehicle, right by the oil drain bolt.
      Miles: Would inspect at any mileage and check carfax/autocheck, owners receipts for replacement. Re-seals are not permanent fixes.
      *Note: Angle gear leak will lead to angle gear failure which turns your beautiful AWD vehicle into an AWD Maxima Turbo

What to look for: Power steering system leaks
      Description: Power Steering system was weak in the 04 models. The reservoir itself is prone to leaks and the hoses are prone to bursting.
      Years: 04
      Miles: 60K+

What to look for: Timing belt walking
      Description: Volvo suggests 105K miles before the timing belt. They have been known to start walking a long time before that.
      Years: 04-07

What to look for: Lower control arm bushing wear
      Description: cracking/busted bushings on the lower control arm
      Miles: 100k

What to look for: Exhaust Bracket of Death (EBD), actually the absence of it. If present, look for evidence of the rear edge of the resonator rubbing the prop shaft. If evidence of rubbing is present, look/feel for evidence of bent prop shaft (e.g., vibration while driving, particularly higher speeds).
      Description: Ridiculous metal stamping located just aft of the resonator. If left in place, it can be bent upward forcing the exhaust resonator to rub against the propeller (drive) shaft and create annoying squealing/rubbing noise. Worse, more expensive damage can occur if said resonator remains permanently in contact with prop shaft, i.e. it can bend the prop shaft which can be very expensive to replace.
      Miles: Any

What to look for: Atacama interior & manual transmission
      Description: Atacama is the rarest of the 3 interior leather options: Atacama, Nordcap (metallic blue), Gobi Sand (tan), and was a $1550 option (for 2006 model). As with any leather interior, look for signs of excessive wear and neglect. Replacing leather seating area is very (almost prohibitively) expensive. Atacama is also less prone to peeling.
      A manual transmission is rarer than the automatic (aka Geartronic) transmission, and allows full control of shifting. Geartronic allows control of shift, but routes power through traditional torque converter; it is not a double-clutch gearbox (DSG, PDK, etc.). The manual transmission also includes the unusual space ball shifter instead of a leather boot or gated shifter.

What to look for: Volvo OEM Sport Kit for S60R. This factory option includes the front winglets, side skirts and rear bumper. It's the best factory cosmetic upgrade to the car, transforming it from the average Volvo look to something that would turn heads.
      Description: The Volvo factory kit for the R Sedan was an optional package in Europe and in the United States. Both Canada and Australia did not receive this kit. Some dealers opted to pre-install this option on some Rs for showroom purposes. If you were drawn to the R due to the kit, you should start looking for one with it pre-installed rather then getting the car first then adding the kit later.

If your car did not come with the sport kit, finding one for a fair price is indeed difficult, although there are a few Dealer operated sites that you can order it from; VolvoWholesaleParts.com, TascaParts.com. Installation of the kit is fairly simple, and consists mainly of rivets, 3M tape, plastic clips, and a few bolts. Kits range in price between $1000 installed to about $2500 installed depending on where you sourced your kit from and where you got it painted and installed.

Winglets are often damaged or missing from cars that were preinstalled due to the weak construction design of the extensions and reduced front end clearance. Side skirts are interchangeable to all S60s. Since both 2004 and 2005 cars are very similar in design, most think that the 04 rear would work on all years. For years 04, the design of the rear body kit(apron) goes over the existing rear bumper cover, it also had detachable exhaust panels. For 2005 and up, the rear kit was detachable lower valance and requires to remove the stock valance. Unfortunately, Volvo never produced the V70R kit. The due to the extended length of the car (side and bumper) the only thing that's interchangeable between the S60R and the V70R are the Front Winglets.
      Year(s): ALL

Transmission(s): Both

What to look for: Hand brake operability
      Description: The hand brake is horrible on all Volvos. Make sure it engages and you can't budge the car with it up.
      Years: 2004-07
      Transmission: Either

What to look for: Wheel bearings
      Description: The bearings are known to go prematurely in the Rs

What to look for: All suspension components
      Description: Make sure to look at the bushings and all suspension components
      Miles: any
      Transmission: both

What to look for: Shifting smoothness
      Description: Make sure that there is no difficulty engaging any gear. If there is even the slightest grind sound or resistance, you either need engine mount bushings, transmission torque mount or both. In the worst case, the synchros gears are going.
      Transmission: MT

What to look for: Detailed service history!
      Description: You may be able to get away with buying a camRy without an extensive service history, but these cars need to be taken care of well. Make sure you have all service records I.E. Fluid changes, timing belt, spark plugs, etc...

Come on guys, add what you can.
      Last edited by prienzo; 08-12-2011 at 08:09 AM.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

1997 850 GLT - Daily Driver Check It Out
      2007 S60R - - FOR SALE -285 awhp/305 ft-lb
      Sometimes I sing too

What to look for: Leaky struts
      Description: Oil seepage anywhere on the strut
      Miles: Mileage is not a factor, road conditions are. Still worth a peek as they are expensive ($300 or more per strut - $1200+ in parts alone for all four corners).

What to look for: Angle Gear Leak
      Description: Any signs of oil/fluid on the angle gear which is in the center of the vehicle, right by the oil drain bolt.
      Miles: Would inspect at any mileage and check carfax/autocheck, owners receipts for replacement. Re-seals are not permanent fixes.
      *Note: Angle gear leak will lead to angle gear failure which turns your beautiful AWD vehicle into an AWD Maxima Turbo
      Last edited by iLLEST-R; 08-08-2011 at 03:23 PM.
      Sold : 2005 SR MT Black Sapphire Metallic/Nordkap
      Mods: bone stock

We should make this a sticky thread up top.

Description: Power Steering system was weak in the 04 models. The reservoir itself is prone to leaks and the hoses are prone to bursting.

Description: Volvo suggests 105K miles before the timing belt. They have been known to start walking a long time before that.

What to look for: Lower control arm bushing wear
      Description: cracking/busted bushings on the lower control arm
      Miles: 100k
      2010 2SS/RS Camaro ; 2010 Ford Taurus SHO ; 2007 Ford F250 ; 2004 Volvo S60 R

Quote Originally Posted by usgiorgi View Post

Thanks for reminding me to monitor mine!

Updated to reflect your suggestions. Keep it coming. When this starts filling up, I'll create a sheet.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Quote Originally Posted by iLLEST-R View Post
      Thanks for reminding me to monitor mine!
      NP. I was ~95K when I got mine done and the dealer said that the tensioner was about to go out. That's why it was walking I guess.

Eight posts and no one has mentioned the beloved EBD (Exhaust bracket of Death)

What to look for: Exhaust Bracket of Death (EBD), actually the absence of it. If present, look for evidence of the rear edge of the resonator rubbing the prop shaft. If evidence of rubbing is present, look/feel for evidence of bent prop shaft (e.g., vibration while driving, particularly higher speeds).

Description: Ridiculous metal stamping located just aft of the resonator. If left in place, it can be bent upward forcing the exhaust resonator to rub against the propeller (drive) shaft and create annoying squealing/rubbing noise. Worse, more expensive damage can occur if said resonator remains permanently in contact with prop shaft, i.e. it can bend the prop shaft which can be very expensive to replace.

Fixes.
      1. Remove it. Re-install using the existing bolts, but add larger washer to keep the heat shield in place.
      2. Optional: replace it with the rain squeal bracket (PN 307422659) pictured here

Last edited by qwkbrk; 08-08-2011 at 07:01 PM. Reason: deleted "rain squeal" to avoid confusion.
      '06 V70 R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 136k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | Hardtop | 22k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 96k miles

OK, I'll tackle the rain squeal then.....

What to look for: Rain Squeal. Your driving along minding your own business, probably in heavy rain or just after, possibly in snow or slushy conditions when all of a sudden your car sounds like 15 wailing banshees have taken up residence underneath it. This is referred to as "Rain Squeal".

Description: in certain conditions the center resonator, located just aft of the Down Pipe exhaust flange - can warp due to heat in the exhaust system and cold water/slush hitting the bottom of the resonator forcing the lip of the resonator to touch the drive shaft while in motion. This results in a scoring on the drive shaft and is easily visible if the car is on a lift. Easy fix: take to an exhaust shop and have the center resonator removed and a straight pipe installed in the gap. This is referred to as "The JRL Mod". OR install the Volvo "Rain Squeal bracket" instead. (PN 307422659). The rain squeal bracket has seen mixed results from SS'ers over the years. Cost in most exhaust shops is $40-$60 for the resonator delete. Car will sound slightly throatier on startup and at wide open throttle. Resonator delete will not result in cabin drone.

Years: all

---
      - Sent from the big daddys laptop.
      Last edited by 58Ford2; 08-09-2011 at 12:53 AM.
      12 Dodge Challenger R/T (midlife crisis)
      11 Rav4 Limited V6
      05 SR GT Black Saphire - Gobi and proud of it. Also very proud of my Anthracite 18" Pegs, Blacked out grille, IPD upper mount, JRL mod. TRADED IN 1/21/12
      58 Ford F100 302 C4 9"

What to look for: Atacama interior & manual transmission

Description: Atacama is the rarest of the 3 interior leather options: Atacama, Nordcap (metallic blue), Gobi Sand (tan), and was a $1550 option (for 2006 model). As with any leather interior, look for signs of excessive wear and neglect. Replacing leather seating area is very (almost prohibitively) expensive. Atacama is also less prone to peeling.

A manual transmission is rarer than the automatic (aka Geartronic) transmission, and allows full control of shifting. Geartronic allows control of shift, but routes power through traditional torque converter; it is not a double-clutch gearbox (DSG, PDK, etc.). The manual transmission also includes the unusual space ball shifter instead of a leather boot or gated shifter.

'06 V70 R Magic Blue | Eroticama | 3-Pedal Arrangement | 136k miles | My story: Addicted to a new drug: torque, baby!!!
      '06 S2000 Berlina Black | Black | Hardtop | 22k miles - garage queen
      '07 Passat 2.0T Wagon | Deep Black | Wifemobile | 96k miles

Damn. This thread started off so well...
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Lol. Mine was meant to be a joke, but it is the truth. If someone is not up to spending some cash this is the wrong car for them. Can't really argue that point. The thread is good idea though.
      2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T - Silver, RWD 6MT
      TOTALED 1/10/12 -[/COLOR]2004 S60R Black Sapphire/Gobi, 55K Miles, 6MT
      IPD: R Kelly W/ K&N, Upper Mount, HD Trans Mount, Polly Stabilizer Bushings, Boost Gauge in Bezel Pod. Phuz: HD TCV
      Viva: HD CBV Snabb: Intake Pipe TME: Lowering Springs DEM Heat Sheild Part# 30783129.

Quote Originally Posted by TJM 04S60R View Post
      Lol. Mine was meant to be a joke, but it is the truth. If someone is not up to spending some cash this is the wrong car for them. Can't really argue that point. The thread is good idea though.
      Fair enough. We should try to scare away cheap owners haha
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Quote Originally Posted by prienzo View Post
      Worked for me....I have too many other obligations right now (they fill 4 of my seats). Maybe I can pick up an R intead of a Vette for my midlife crisis.
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2006 Mazda5 Touring 5MT the runabout
      1991 Celica that replaces the smashed 1996 Ram 1500 my first and last Toyota

Yeah definitely. We should also add:

Use only 91+ octane
      and
      Don't even think about cheap ebay replacement parts

ok guys, either we are missing a bunch of stuff or these cars are way more reliable and problem free than we give them credit for.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

ok, seems like most catostrohpic failures are covered (maybe not AWD Collar sleeve though and/or DEM), and I'll leave some of those for the more technical engineers on this forum lol. Here's my add in for exterior upgrades since qwkbrk did an interior one.

What to look for: Volvo OEM Sport Kit for S60R. This factory option includes the front winglets, side skirts and rear bumper. It's the best factory cosmetic upgrade to the car, transforming it from the average Volvo look to something that would turn heads.

Description: The Volvo factory kit for the R Sedan was an optional package in Europe and in the United States. Both Canada and Australia did not receive this kit. Some dealers opted to pre-install this option on some Rs for showroom purposes. If you were drawn to the R due to the kit, you should start looking for one with it pre-installed rather then getting the car first then adding the kit later.

If your car did not come with the sport kit, finding one for a fair price is indeed difficult, although there are a few Dealer operated sites that you can order it from; VolvoWholesaleParts.com, TascaParts.com. Installation of the kit is fairly simple, and consists mainly of rivets, 3M tape, plastic clips, and a few bolts. Kits range in price between $1000 installed to about $2500 installed depending on where you sourced your kit from and where you got it painted and installed.

Winglets are often damaged or missing from cars that were preinstalled due to the weak construction design of the extensions and reduced front end clearance. Side skirts are interchangeable to all S60s. Since both 2004 and 2005 cars are very similar in design, most think that the 04 rear would work on all years. For years 04, the design of the rear body kit(apron) goes over the existing rear bumper cover, it also had detachable exhaust panels. For 2005 and up, the rear kit was detachable lower valance and requires to remove the stock valance. Unfortunately, Volvo never produced the V70R kit. The due to the extended length of the car (side and bumper) the only thing that's interchangeable between the S60R and the V70R are the Front Winglets.

Year(s): ALL

Transmission(s): Both

Last edited by DevolvR; 08-10-2011 at 09:36 AM.
      04 S60 R | MT | Titanium Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

ok guys, either we are missing a bunch of stuff or these cars are way more reliable and problem free than we give them credit for.
      Well these cars are pretty reliable. It's the expensive parts that makes each reliability issue stand out. I guess I will add everything I've had an issue with on all my previous S60s

What to look for: Hand brake operability
      Description: The hand brake is horrible on all Volvos. Make sure it engages and you can't budge the car with it up.

What to look for: Wheel bearings
      Description: The bearings are known to go prematurely in the Rs

What to look for: All suspension components
      Description: Make sure to look at the bushings and all suspension components

What to look for: Shifting smoothness
      Description: Make sure that there is no difficulty engaging any gear. If there is even the slightest grind sound or resistance, you either need engine mount bushings, transmission torque mount or both. In the worst case, the synchros gears are going.
      Transmission: MT

What to look for: Detailed service history!
      Description: You may be able to get away with buying a camRy without an extensive service history, but these cars need to be taken care of well. Make sure you have all service records I.E. Fluid changes, timing belt, spark plugs, etc...

Speaking of exterior... I'll add another

What to look for: Wheels
      Description: The stock wheels are prone to curb rash.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

If you live in snow area, winglets are a no go. You'll rip them right off with 2" of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by usgiorgi View Post
      If you live in snow area, winglets are a no go. You'll rip them right off with 2" of snow.
      err.. I think you are wrong.

More in the Winter Mode thread

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...er-Mode!/page4

Unless you are driving your car through ice, snow barriers and parking curbs...
      Last edited by DevolvR; 08-10-2011 at 10:32 AM.
      04 S60 R | MT | Titanium Grey | Nordkap ( mods & evolution & pictures )
      19x8.5 VMR V713 | RICA I | phuz DP | Quad Tip Exhaust | 05+ Conversion | Eibach | Sport Kit | Lots of stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by DevolvR View Post
      err.. I think you are wrong.

I'm not speaking from personal experience but there was a S60R from Florida during the winter on the UNH campus. It had a good chunk of the winglet broken off on the left side. I was staring at it and the owner came out of the store. He said that he hit a slush pile and thinks that's where he broke the winglet off a day ago. We also had some massive frost heaves so maybe they were the culprit. But you're in Canada so you probably know better about snow and the Rs haha.

I updated the initial post again. Looks like we're beginning to get a lot of good information here
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

bump

I've been so lazy, but I'm bringing this biatch back. To the top!
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Good information! Back to the top.

DevolvR, sticky this ****!
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Thanks...very helpful

Serious about a 2006 V70R...two owners one accident. Front wheel panel replaced but right wheel grinds on turns. Asking 14.5K...will bring this info to an independent inspection tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by luckyfish View Post
      Serious about a 2006 V70R...two owners one accident. Front wheel panel replaced but right wheel grinds on turns. Asking 14.5K...will bring this info to an independent inspection tomorrow...
      Many stock cars will "grind" when turning. It's the tires rubbing the inner wheel well, completely normal.
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

What to look for: PCV System Breathe-ability
      Description: Volvo's over complex PCV system is very fragile, and costs a bomb to replace. Check for oil leaks/seepage on top of the engine block, along with symptoms of oil dipstick popping off under throttle.
      Year(s): All
      Transmission(s): All
      2006 Volvo S60 R | GT | Passion Red | ///S2R
      { COMFORT | SPORT | ADVANCED }
      "PRACTICE SAFE SEX, MAKE LOVE IN A VOLVO."

I'm not super knowledgeable on this one, but my car has had this problem since I bought it and I know others have complained of the same failure. I don't know if it only affects MT cars or both and don't know if it's only 04's or all.

What to look for: Reverse lights not functioning properly
      Description: Owners have reported inoperable reverse lights due to a failure of the reverse light switch at the transmission. It can be changed as a DIY job and the switch itself runs about $15-20.
      Years: All?
      Transmissions: All?

Look no further i have the perfect R for sale. And because you're almost as hot as usgiorgi ill knock $500 off the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ti-R View Post
      Look no further i have the perfect R for sale. And because you're almost as hot as usgiorgi ill knock $500 off the price.

What to look for: Overpriced R's
      1998 S70 GLT - Sold
      1999 V70XC - Sold

Sometimes I sing too

Quote Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
      What to look for: Overpriced R's
      Now now skippy, just because you cannot afford it doesnt mean its overpriced 😜🚕🚲🏁🇺🇸

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast