Gear oil: M56 trans
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Gear oil: M56 trans

I asked this in the V70 forum, but after 40 views/0 posts, I guess there aren't enough MT owners there to offer advice.

Going to get down and dirty under my car soon & I was looking to replace the gear oil while I'm in the shade. Couldn't find gear oil specs in the owners manual, so does anyone know what weight gear oil the M56 takes? If the drain is the large bolt at the outside end of the tranny, how to fill it up afterward?
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX
      2006 Mazda5 Touring 5MT the runabout
      1996 Ram 1500 the workhorse

You can use a synthetic 75w90, such as Red Line Heavyweight Gear Oil. I believe Volvo might have fluid available as well. There are upper and lower plugs. Hope this helps.
      TKi Motorsport | New Products Now Being Added Daily! TKi Suspension Components, TKi Engine Components, Built Engines, Hawk Brake Pads, Red Line Oils, Motul, Goodridge SS Brake Lines, etc.
      Like us on Facebook! | Follow us on Twitter! |Watch us on YouTube!

Thank you, Josh. Where is the upper plug? Do I need to pull the air box to get at it?
      2004 V70 T5M: Platinum Green Bob Villa mod | boost gauge | poly mounts | Snabb intake | IPD sways | Koni yellow struts | KYB monotube shocks http://imgur.com/a/0MRgX

Volvo specs are to use their "97308" fluid which doesn't help much.

Lots of folks use ELF Tranself TRZ 75W80 or Castrol TAF-X 75w90 GL4/5 or even Redline 75W90NS.

Don Norchi from Kalmar Union seems to prefer the Redline and has had pretty good results over the years in competition. Might want to try that first.
      Our Work Is Never Over.

Here's a pic (upside down). Hope this helps.

TKi Motorsport | New Products Now Being Added Daily! TKi Suspension Components, TKi Engine Components, Built Engines, Hawk Brake Pads, Red Line Oils, Motul, Goodridge SS Brake Lines, etc.
      Like us on Facebook! | Follow us on Twitter! |Watch us on YouTube!

both plugs can be reached from the drivers side wheel well, and volvo does indeed offer a lubricant for it(not cheap at all)

and use this to refill it:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/6577/...-fluid-syringe
      Last edited by Impulse922; 10-06-2011 at 08:50 AM.
      2003 S60 T5M - bilstein sport/eibach, sways, exhaust, mini h1 projectors, and other minor touches

Banner Advertiser George @ ViVA's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by thaxman View Post
      I asked this in the V70 forum, but after 40 views/0 posts, I guess there aren't enough MT owners there to offer advice.

Going to get down and dirty under my car soon & I was looking to replace the gear oil while I'm in the shade. Couldn't find gear oil specs in the owners manual, so does anyone know what weight gear oil the M56 takes? If the drain is the large bolt at the outside end of the tranny, how to fill it up afterward?
      We offer genuine Volvo manual transmission fluid:
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/produ...ion-Fluid.html

Don't forget to use our magnetic drain plugs on the gearbox too!
      http://www.vivaperformance.com/magne...hread-m18x1-5/
      George - ViVA Performance
      http://www.vivaperformance.com
      email: parts@vivaperformance.com
      "Like" us on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/vivaperformance
      Check out my Classifieds Listings! Part 2 | Part 3

OK, so I procrastinated too much, and I would like to drain and fill today - except I have no gear oil. Too late to order online, so what can I pick up locally that will be a good choice for the next 100K miles of service?
      O'Reilly has Castrol Syntec gear oil:

Detailed Description
      Castrol SYNTEC Full Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 provides maximum protection under severe service conditions.

Key Benefits:

•Added assurance during extended drain intervals
      •Improved thermal stability and excellent shear stability for superior wear protection
      •Full compatibility with all conventional and synthetic API GL-5 and MT-1 gear oils

Warranty and Protection Requirements
      •Exceeds the service fill requirements of conventional and limited slip differentials calling for SAE 75W-90 and API Service GL-5 specification
      •Exceeds API Service GL-5 requirements for extreme pressure conditions
      •Exceeds API MT-1 requirements for non-synchronized manual transmissions used in buses and heavy-duty trucks
      •Meets the requirements of Mack GO-H/S
      Whaddaya think?

Pretty sure the Volvo stuff is still made by Castrol, it shouldn't be ascritical as picking the correct engine oil so the 75-90 you list should be fine.

I used Redline but it seems to shif a tiny bit slower when cold over whatever was in there, I should have emailed Redline as you can often run lower viscosity oil than stock with their products as they supposedly have very good shock absorbtion qualities.

So, I found Redline MTL locally for $12/qt. Noticable improvement. BTW, in order to do the job, you will need a 24mm socket. Some posts mention 23mm, So I wanted to clear that up. Also, I went to Home Depot and got clear 1/2 ID- 5/8" OD tubing and cut down about 3' of it to fill the trans. The 5/8" is just the right size to go inside the fill opening, and being 1/2" inner diameter, a cheap funnel fights tightly inside. Costs all of $4.50. BTW, easier than doing an oil/filter change IMHO.

good post. thanks for following up.
      Our Work Is Never Over.

Any reason why you didn't go for their Shockproof oil? I din't know the MTL even existed, I just went to check what mine was and it is MT90.

I thought I ordered the shockproof but I guess I got the wrong part number, Redline is like liquid gold in Australia, God it's dear.

Great thread, I am getting ready to change the fluid on my 04 S60 now that it has hit 100K, I had my indy Volvo mechanic change it around 50K with the Volvo fluid, but $20+ a quart is pricey for re-branded Castrol. The shift smoothness improved only slightly and I have been searching for options when this next change came up. I was surprised to see Amsoil has no equivalent to the Volvo fluid according to their website and I thought I would be stuck using Volvo/Castrol again this time, so glad to hear Redline is working out for users. I used their MTL in the M46 gearboxes of all of my 242s and was always amazed at the difference it made in smoothness.

Not that this helps, but I run redline MTL in my wrangler and love it!
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille