The XC70 R project - Page 2
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Yes much better gas mileage. Better stability on the road at high speed and no spongy feeling around corners etc.
      02 XC70 R PROJECT TERRÄNGKÖRNING LANDVAGN
      04 V70R PROJECT LANDBARGE

Quote Originally Posted by AthruC View Post
      Adam, are you getting better gas mileage with the dropped suspension?? Just trying to figure things out
      Wonder the same thing too but on a hunch, it will not be better fuel consumption.
      DC
      V70XC - Cross Country Par Excellence!
      2002 V70XC-R Cross Country - Polarartic/Oak, ESR, 5AT Geartronic, leather package, factory towing kit, tinted windows and screens, tracker, sunglass holder, center console cup holder, nylon cargo barrier, Thule roof racks, R instruments cluster gauges.

Doing mostly highway, with my failing coils, I got an extra 2-3 mpg...

Mine was definatly lower in fuel consumption but the biggest difference was changing tyres.
      I dropped from ~ 10l / 100km with Bridgestone 245/45/18 to about 8l / 100km with narrower 235/50/18 tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Racer View Post
      Mine was definatly lower in fuel consumption but the biggest difference was changing tyres.
      I dropped from ~ 10l / 100km with Bridgestone 245/45/18 to about 8l / 100km with narrower 235/50/18 tyres.
      Taller, narrower tyres sure will lower the fuel consumption.
      DC
      2002 V70XC-R Cross Country - Polarartic/Oak, ESR, 5AT Geartronic, leather package, factory towing kit, tinted windows and screens, tracker, sunglass holder, center console cup holder, nylon cargo barrier, Thule roof racks, R instruments cluster gauges.

New pics.

The rear is self-dumping itself due to some bad wheel alignment as a result of the new S60AWD springs.
      Currently the rear is 3cm lower than where it should be.

Awesome free dump kit !

Looks good. Just received the R cluster and the cluster surround. A R engine cover and timing cover on the way too.
      DC

Quote Originally Posted by XC70XC View Post
      Looks good. Just received the R cluster and the cluster surround. A R engine cover and timing cover on the way too.
      Nice!
      Let the fun and games begin my friend

It is slowly coming.
      DC

Ocean Racer - so what's the status now? Will the S60 AWD springs give out after a while or was it due to a bad install?

Im looking for any drop I can get and a stiffer ride, but if it's going to lean back like that after a while I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by pdakid View Post
      Ocean Racer - so what's the status now? Will the S60 AWD springs give out after a while or was it due to a bad install?

Im looking for any drop I can get and a stiffer ride, but if it's going to lean back like that after a while I'll pass.
      The springs are perfect - the wheel alignment is out thats all. This is because I have had 3 different springs in the car + a big Brembo brake install and not 1 wheel alignment done.

OMG! I'm going for my SECOND alignment THIS WEEK! You must hate your tires!

I did notice something though - the camber being negative biased has lead to more bent rims, as the insides are much softer than the outsides... Ugh.

My goal is -.7 all around, or -.9 worst-case. That leave the front within spec, and I figure that's good enough for the rears as well

FYI, when you take the front shocks off, you are screwing with your overall alignment big time. They are directly responsible for front camber adjustments, and will impact the rest of the alignment if moved.

I have to jack my XC up at the rear to clear the wheels and lower it back down again once a week.
      This returns/releases the camber to its normal setting.

I have to jack my XC up at the rear to clear the wheels and lower it back down again once a week.
      This returns/releases the camber to its normal setting.
      ...? Why do you have to do this? Sounds like a pain in the ass.
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille

Quote Originally Posted by n00bkiller944 View Post
      ...? Why do you have to do this? Sounds like a pain in the ass.
      Read post #41

In for a wheel alignment right now.

Wheel alignment done.
      Will see how it goes.
      The muppets at the shop were telling me the car had been in an accident and thats why the alignment was out.
      Epic WTF!!?! I don't think so moment.

Maybe they think such coz the alignment was out by so much. They have yet to encounter a XC70R.
      DC

lol, yeah, your alignment was probably VERY messed up with everything you swapped over (trust me, I know).

lol, yeah, your alignment was probably VERY messed up with everything you swapped over (trust me, I know).
      I know mate but they seemed to disagree. lol

I know mate but they seemed to disagree. lol
      Probably they never know of a nice looking car with such a messed up alignment. Thought it must have come straight from the panel beater shop.
      DC

OMG! I'm going for my SECOND alignment THIS WEEK! You must hate your tires!

I did notice something though - the camber being negative biased has lead to more bent rims, as the insides are much softer than the outsides... Ugh.

My goal is -.7 all around, or -.9 worst-case. That leave the front within spec, and I figure that's good enough for the rears as well

FYI, when you take the front shocks off, you are screwing with your overall alignment big time. They are directly responsible for front camber adjustments, and will impact the rest of the alignment if moved.
      Just came back from the wheel alignment place (again)
      They had previously aligned the XC with the steering wheel on a stupid angle.

Camber in the rear is -2 degrees with a slight increase on the left hand side (passenger side)
      I put a heavy trolley jack behind the driver seat to simulate a person in the drivers seat for the alignment.
      Again no print out to show.

O, and I did find some left side damage - the left front dust shield had impacted on something and is bent upwards from below - like being dropped on a curb etc.
      They deemed that to be an accident.
      Last edited by Ocean Racer; 12-20-2011 at 07:58 PM.

Any thoughts on the IPD camber bushings for the rear, or is the negative camber acceptable?

I'm at -1.3 on the left rear and -1.6 right with the same rear setup. Front setup I have the R springs on stock XC struts. I'm sitting at -.5 in the front. How's the toe?

Quote Originally Posted by Huzer21 View Post
      Any thoughts on the IPD camber bushings for the rear, or is the negative camber acceptable?

I'm at -1.3 on the left rear and -1.6 right with the same rear setup. Front setup I have the R springs on stock XC struts. I'm sitting at -.5 in the front. How's the toe?
      I looked at the IPD camber stuff and decided not to go with it. For what you pay, you don't get much!
      The alignment shop has a bust printer and they were not able to print out any data for me to upload. All I know is the rear camber is set to -2 each side. Fronts seem ok.

The IPD bushing will net you +/- 1.5 degrees of rear camber. What was odd was that my rear camber did move 1.5 degrees in the rear, but then shifted .2 degrees after a few alignments. I will try with simulated weight in the driver's seat next time around.

Front is slightly adjustable from the factory, but there are ways to make it adjust past that range....

There are advantages, and disadvantages to negative camber. Negative camber will cause uneven wear on tires (and reduced tire life) but gives you better turn-in response with aggressive cornering. For road-going cars that don't see much track/aggressive use, you want to be closer to 0. I'll be shooting for -.5 or -.7 at all four corners during my next run of alignments.

The rear install isn't horrible, but I had some issues with my homemade tool breaking on me during the install. I also did it for the first time and figured that I could average 1.5 hours per side or less if it really came down to it (not using a lift). I'm hoping to only have to touch one of the bushings to bring it further negative to match the other side that's already at it's limit.
      2006 XC70, White/(Atacama) / FOR SALE: 1998 S70 TR-SE, AT, Silver/Charcoal, 101K, Modded (Canadian Car, eh?)
      Former: 2007 S60R M66, 2001 V70 T5M, 1998 Saffron V70R, 1995 855T,1995 854 Cream Yellow/Charcoal T5-R
      Looking for a new TV? Visit The High Definition Store or email me!

I looked at the IPD camber stuff and decided not to go with it. For what you pay, you don't get much!
      It helped tremendously on my XC, I can only get the 245/40/19 tires to last 15k km before the IPD bushings (Rotated every 5k); Now I get 30k+ km out of them. Good stuff!
      MY02 V70XC w/19" IWC CSL w/245/40/19 RE050A, R Brembos f+r, Coilovers, VST anti-sway bars + endlinks + f&r strut bars, UR strut bar + lower f&r braces, Pipercross, KKK K24, 465 green injectors, FMIC, ATF cooler, VST Rev, UR pulley, Aquamist, TME 3" DP + Catback, MTE Stg 3 tuned=

Gah, all this talk is making me not want to lower my XC unless I am currently working at a shop! LOL
      2005 XC70
      -Pioneer Avic F700 - 12 inch Alpine Type R Sub - IPD Blue Silcone Hoses - OBX Catback - Custom Window Tint - Custom Mesh Grille

Quote Originally Posted by ifnt420 View Post
      It helped tremendously on my XC, I can only get the 245/40/19 tires to last 15k km before the IPD bushings (Rotated every 5k); Now I get 30k+ km out of them. Good stuff!
      Ben, I only have rear camber.
      From what I understood, the IPD kit only fixes the fronts ?

Gah, all this talk is making me not want to lower my XC unless I am currently working at a shop! LOL
      I hear ya. I do like to keep my XC stock as the ride is nice plus the flash floods are not a biggie for the XC.
      DC

IPD makes a rear offset bushing that you have to have pressed into the control arm. Depending on the orientation on which you install them, it can add as much as 1.5 degrees. They also offer a front camber bolt kit. My front camber at -.5 is acceptable to me, so I'm not going to spend the $$ on camber bolts.

Ben, I only have rear camber.
      From what I understood, the IPD kit only fixes the fronts ?
      IPD offers both front and rear camber adjustment kits.
      However, I only needed the rear since its the culprit for camber wear on my tires, -1.5 on both sides in my case.
      Like Husker said, you'll have to take out the old bushings and press in the new one once dialed in to your spec.
      Highly recommended if you are suffering from camber wear, it will pay for itself with the tire wear you save.

Merry X'mas and Happy New Years!!!
      MY02 V70XC w/19" IWC CSL w/245/40/19 RE050A, R Brembos f+r, Coilovers, VST anti-sway bars + endlinks + f&r strut bars, UR strut bar + lower f&r braces, Pipercross, KKK K24, 465 green injectors, FMIC, ATF cooler, VST Rev, UR pulley, Aquamist, TME 3" DP + Catback, MTE Stg 3 tuned=

While time consuming, if you're comfortable turning a wrench (and tearing apart your car ) it's not a horrible install. My right rear was out to -2.1, so I really didn't have a choice. If you run out of adjustment on the fronts, shoot me an email, as I fixed that for ~$10 after my IPD front camber bolt snapped.

I got bored over the weekend so I made some stickers.

Hahahaha, that is awesome! How do you make your stickers? I really like the Facebook one!
      2005 XC70

Hahahaha, that is awesome! How do you make your stickers? I really like the Facebook one!
      I am a graphic designer and have all the software and equipment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast