Steering Box lube.
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Steering Box lube.

In addition to my leaking oil pan, I have a slight leak in the steering box. It's been like that for years. I think I should top it off. What oil should I use in the steering box? I have an original shop manual and in the Lubrication section it lists a half dozen different "special" oils, but in the Specification section it says use Hypoid SAE 80. Also, has anyone tried using a sealing additive in the steering box to stop a slow leak?

Also, from my understanding, the manual says to fill the box to the top. That just doesn't sound right to me. Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions. It's my OCD coming out.
      Last edited by gearbasher; 10-11-2011 at 08:59 PM.

Depends on how fast it is leaking! Should have enough in it to cover the gears.
      Rebuild/seal kits are available.
      Gear oil is fine, heavier leaks slower, but is stiffer in cold weather.

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by gearbasher View Post
      In addition to my leaking oil pan, I have a slight leak in the steering box. It's been like that for years. I think I should top it off. What oil should I use in the steering box? I have an original shop manual and in the Lubrication section it lists a half dozen different "special" oils, but in the Specification section it says use Hypoid SAE 80. Also, has anyone tried using a sealing additive in the steering box to stop a slow leak?

Also, from my understanding, the manual says to fill the box to the top. That just doesn't sound right to me. Is that correct?

Sorry for all the questions. It's my OCD coming out.
      Warm the steering box, suck out most of the old lube with a turkey baster, safely heat up some cheapo STP oil additive then sloooowwwwwllllyyy squeeze it into the steering box with a new baster. Full is good.

New seals are cheap but a senseless repair because the labor involved just screams for a full rebuild or a reman steering box.

George Dill

I just put new seals in the gearbox on my '60 544. The bushings were still tight and the ball bearings were good so it didn't need a full rebuild. The labor is mostly in getting it out and back in again. George, are there reman gearboxes available? I've never seen any.
      It's ok to fill the gearbox up to the top because it's vented through the steer shaft - you're not really filling it all the way.
      Jim S.

Thanks for the info. I filled the box with 80/90 gear oil. It's been two weeks and no drops of oil have appeared. I'm wondering if the previous owner put a lighter oil in the box? Yeah, I've been looking for a reman. box and no luck. It looks like I'll be waiting for sring (warmer weather) to do the job properly.