SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

** Vendor Feedback Thread **

110K views 281 replies 87 participants last post by  janik_kaspar 
#1 ·
We have repeated threads rehashing the same complaints. Those who were here in the '05-07 time frame remember the thread after thread trashing of Svenske and Alamo.

So we do not have repetitive threads, please post questions and comments about a particular vendor or individual seller in this thread. I will try to merge in previous threads. If you see a thread that should be included, drop me a PM.

Thanks!
Chris

#247 ·
Kudos To Tasca

Once again, Tasca comes through! After a minor incident in a restaurant parking lot (restaurant's fault, no less), the establishments insurance company has cashed me out for a replacement front bumper cover. Now, the insurance company quotes a refurbished bumper cover, unprimed and unpainted, for all of $20.39 less then Tasca wanted for the new, color matched part, which shipped today. Since I'm over $400 to the good, I guess the insurance company is paying for a good chunk of my timing belt.

Thanks Tasca!

Landru
2004 S60R 6MT 99,000 miles
1998 V70 GLT 156,000 miles
1996 850 GLT, 135,000 miles

#248 ·
Beware of Phuzzy Motorsports.

I bought a downpipe and FMIC from him in the spring of 2011 and had him install everything. The day after install, I got a CEL. It was from 2 codes, "ECM-24BB Front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) bank 1 Signal missing" and "ECM-24BD Front heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) bank 1 Signal too low". These codes cause the car to stay in closed-loop and run very rich, killing performance and mileage. He and I have been in contact regarding the issue for over 2 years. Here are some things we went through:

Repaired exhaust leaks at the turbo had no effect.
Cleaning both O2 sensors had no effect.
Replacing both O2 sensors had no effect ($200 out of pocket for me).
Switching back to the stock TCV had no effect.
Thorough examination of all wiring showed no issues. Signal verified to be present via data logging.
A couple runs of data logging show the front O2 signal is present, and the reading at WOT is about 0.5 point richer with the Phuz pipe.
Replacing the Phuz DP with the stock DP solved the codes right away. I ran it like this for 2 weeks with no codes.
Replacing the stock DP with an OBX DP produced no codes. It has been running like this for about a year of the last 2.5 years.

The difference in O2 readings is the cause of the code. According to VIDA, the "Signal missing" code can be caused by a >3% difference in readings between the front and rear sensors, and for some reason, the phuz front O2 reads rich.

Matt has been unable to explain why this is happening, and has now stopped responding to my e-mails. I have spent hundreds of dollars and countless hours of labor trying to fix this problem. Now I am left with a $560 paperweight in my garage. I have repeatedly asked him for a replacement pipe or for my money back, and he has refused. Buyer beware!

#249 ·
Phuz has been getting hammered lately. From the few cases I have read, he seems to be very willing to negotiate a solution from the get-go but as soon as you waste too much of his time, he just cuts you off completely. I would say all the testing you did was proof enough that the Phuz dp was causing the codes and poor gas mileage. That is pretty sh***y that he refuses to refund ANY money even though his product is proven to be defective. I would say the fact the the stock pipe and OBX kept the codes from coming back is more than definitive evidence that his pipe was defective.

OOKLA's problem with his FMIC from phuzz seems different because it seems he has made some unreasonable demands over a rusted pipe (although I don't know because all the details haven't been revealed). But this story above is the reason I will be steering clear of Phuzzy motorsports. Seems like you really got the SHAFT!

#250 ·
I was surprised too. He had a good reputation when I bought it, but he seemed to refuse to believe the pipe was the problem. I did all this troubleshooting and swapping to prove it. After I called him out on the forums last time, he reluctantly agreed to re-weld the upper bung at a different angle, and that didn't help, and he provided a replacement flange because mine was warped and leaking (he doesn't use a gasket), but that didn't solve the problem either. The last communication I had with him was basically said that my cat could be bad, and I should contact Magnaflow (he bought the cat and put it in the pipe, I have no documentation or even a receipt). Then he went dark.

The old thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-(Not-the-standard-code-that-needs-a-spacer)/

#252 ·
He did, he stuck in there and was a sounding board for my troubleshooting attempts, which is why I have kept this off the board so long. I didn't really think I should have been responsible for any troubleshooting once the problem reliably came and went with installing/removing the Phuz pipe reliably, but I was willing to indulge him because initially he knew more about this issue than I did. It was only when there was clearly no explanation beyond there being something fundamentally wrong with his pipe that he disappeared.

#253 ·
can we take a minute to acknowledge how awesome George at ViVA is? Seriously, this guy is a testament to what made America great in the day. If you are new to these cars, have an obscure technical issue, or planning a major project, you are doing yourself a disservice not contacting ViVA along the way. George is a knowledgeable, helpful, approachable businessman. He understands the root of customer service, and will do everything he can to help meet your needs. He helped me troubleshoot a costly issue, brining his personal experience with owning and maintaining Volvos. When I approached him about a service package a competitor offered, he found a way for his company to match their price while also offering a higher performance option to compliment it. George at ViVA is the type of resource every shade-tree mechanic and shed-built racer needs.

Give them a shout, you'll be glad you did.
mailto:parts@vivaperformance.com?subject=ViVA Performance Inquiry

#254 ·
iPD, VIVA, FCP, Phuzzy, all I have had awesome experiences with!
I got lucky with my dual exhaust piece as I ordered it straight from Willy, who seems to now not be in the business.

iPD and VIVA are always there for me. Always willing to help. I've spent thousands between just these two.
FCP, ordered new spark plugs recently and got them in a few days. Enjoyed the transaction.
And Phuzzy, I just recently bought hisFMIC. Matt was there the whole time, responding to my emails promptly. I cannot see anyone having troubles with him. Really down to earth. Glad I went with him for my IC. Also, he is very willing to help with any questions that I have.

Thank you all for the awesome experiences with the R. Not once have I had a bad transaction.

#255 ·
I think I am done with IPD. 4 years ago I sent my ECU for programming while I was on vacation, with plenty of time for it to be tuned, returned, and installed while I was gone for a week. Upon returning I contacted my mechanic who told me that they never sent it back. I called IPD and they found my unprogrammed ECU under a pile of papers on someone's desk. They apologized but did nothing else. Not even a free t-shirt. Later I ordered my Air Management System, and it came apart at the seams. I returned it for replacement, only to have that one come apart as well. They have since discontinued the AMS, probably because it is a POS, and now will not offer anything for it. Viva, FCP Euro, Tasca, and the others with whom I have dealt have been excellent. All have offered excellent service. I wish IPD would do the same.

#256 ·
Burr

Try giving a call to IPD and talk to Chris. I'm sure they will work something out.

#257 ·
My brother ordered a bunch of crap from George at Viva, to be shipped to my house for his 06 VR. I dropped off his car and box o' parts, and realized that the new clutch was missing. My brother hit up George, who IMMEDIATELY assumed all fault (he forgot to include it in the order to Volvo) and rush shipped the clutch to my house. No BS, just straight ownership of the (minor) mistake and took care of the issue right away.

10/10

#258 ·
IPD sent me some peg reps and forgot the hub-centric rings. I did not realize that I needed them and rode a little wobbly for a week before investigating (also got new tires at the same time and figured it was a mis-balance). While it was unfortunate they were forgotten, IPD found a thread started by me and sprung into action. They overnighted the suckers. So my experience was somewhat disappointment followed by joy. Everyone makes mistakes so I don't hold it against them.

#259 ·
Everyone has a bad day. I had requested a price match on brake pads from FCP and the original sales rep I had been emailing just decided to go radio silent for two days, so I placed the order with IPD. The following day it seems that the sales reps colleague picked up the dropped ball and reached out to me, albeit a tad too late to make a difference. But I will continue to use both of them since I have had good overall experience with both of them.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

#260 ·
IPD also took my advice of mentioning on the sales page that all IPD peg reps require hubcentric rings. I asked them to add that because had that information been there when I ordered mine, I would have never installed them without the rings. I usually read a webpage in full before ordering or installing anything. Hopefully this will prevent someone else from installing the wheels if the hubcentric rings are accidentally not shipped.

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/4909/115262-ipd-pegasus-replica-wheel-17-inch-hyper-silver

#261 · (Edited)
IPD has always been a pleasure to deal with. They have my business. The minor problems that I have had with them were remedied quickly.

Today was a miracle, though, with another vendor. It just so happened that I received my package from TME via Viva as my caR was being put back together this morning. :beer:

Well done!

Thanks, George.

#262 · (Edited)
Okay so with IPD again, I seem to be unlucky enough to always have something weird going on with my orders. They always remedy the problem ASAP and I do greatly appreciate that.

I purchased coolant system items to revamp the cooling system in my 850. Ordered around mid-June and the reservoir bottle was on backorder but said it would be available close to the end of June (forgot exact date). I guess I somewhat expected the other components to ship immediately but that didn't happen. That wasn't a big deal because I'm sure it kept shipping costs down. But around July 7th I realize I still have not received anything and I planned do perform the maintenance work this weekend so I give them a call. Turns out some new inventory came in and they had not had the time to sort through yet.

The gentelman I talked to on the phone said he would find a reservoir of equal or better quality by the end of the day and make sure my shipment was out the next day. To me, that is an excellent solution. The problem I have is I get the feeling that if I hadn't called, my order could have been in limbo for much longer than it was. I don't know if my order fell off their radar or not but if it was still on the radar, a courtesy email letting me know that my package was going to ship a week or two later than expected would have been nice because I have to plan my work schedule around big weekend jobs. I planned this weekend free because I thought it would have been here long before now and now it's due to show up Saturday (and my Fedex guy comes later).

#263 ·
Well now I am more frustrated. Not IPDs fault but FedEx's estimated delivery changed from Saturday (today) to N/A. Never seen that before. Last update it was still in OR. Balls...

#264 ·
I've had consistently good luck with IPD. Even when order items are backordered for a month or more, all it takes is a phone call to get things moving. I waited two weeks for a shipment, called, and instead of telling me to wait another two weeks, IPD sent me better parts just because they were in stock. I definitely can't argue with that.

#265 ·
Yes, but it shouldn't really take a phone call to initiate. In my case, the backordered items were expected to come in long before my package actually shipped. They should have a system that if an order misses it's expected ship date to take action. At least notify the customer and/or find a better quality part to replace it and ship out right away. I just wonder if my order would still be in limbo had I not called.

I have no problem with the action they took. They sure do know how to address a problem once they are made aware of it. Just wondering why I had to take care of my own order.

#267 ·
DO NOT BUY FROM Phuz or Phuzzymotorsports or Essential Integrations LLC After almost a month, finally received part of my order. He has an excuse for everything. "I'm not near a computer" "I've been driving for hours and the last thing I want to do is get on a computer". He can't refund for an item he never sent because as he explained to me, I didn't know thats what you ordered and I somehow didn't see it. I sent him multiple invoices that he had sent me listing the item and the fact that it had been paid for. Filed a paypal dispute and he said it would be refunded. NO REFUND YET for 2 WEEKS. DO NOT TRUST. I have every single email form him to back up everything I am posting. Spend you money with a worthy TRUSTED BUSINESS.

#269 ·
After almost a month I FINALLY get notice of my partial refund processing from paypal. I would still recommend not dealing with. The Front Mount Inner Cooler kit DOES NOT come with everything needed for install. You need to purchase lengths aluminum and make your own brackets to hold the innercooler. Nowhere on the purchase page is this mentioned. Only until you dig through the outdated install instructions do you find this as well as the need for four shorter 6mm bolts due to removal of the stock innercooler. Also the map sensor bung is too big for the stock sealing oring so you will have boost leak issues as well a fuel trim faults. The kit came in four different packages and tracking numbers are non existent. You get what you pay for I suppose. I would have returned it but since it took a month to get a refund on a $60 TCV that was never sent, I would not feel comfortable in risking a $550 refund and since the kit is dropped shipped from multiple address, the whole return process would be a bigger nightmare that I would want to deal with. So Yay! Maybe some improvements could be devised. I'm not opposed to paying more for a complete and quality kit. I just believed my experience was going to be better, I guess me sights were set too high.

#270 ·
the map sensor bung is too big for the stock sealing oring so you will have boost leak issues as well a fuel trim faults. .
o_O that explains a lot of my issues. Will have it checked at next service.

I had a great experience with Matt, but I was only a few hours away at the time. My IC/DP have been well worth it over the last 10 months.

As for IPD's issues, before you hit the order button it warns you of stocking issues. A phone call is much easier and (for me) is preferable to some ridiculous chain of emails provided what they tell you on the phone actually happens. For IPD, they're batting 1000. My experience with ViVA was way less pleasant, but not bad enough to stop me from ordering minor parts. That was a crazy email nightmare and I never got a person on the phone in months of trying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#271 · (Edited)
DO NOT use Rave Imports in Salem, MA for your repairs.

They are careless, arrogant, DO NOT LISTEN or COMPREHEND what you are telling them and Dave, the owner, believes that Volvo has their own O2 sensor factory somewhere and they make their own O2 sensors which are superior to Bosch.

I brought them my car to address a check engine light related to my REAR O2 sensor. This happened AFTER I hit an animal on the highway. I thought the worst, that I damaged the harness.

So I brought it a mechanic near Nahant, and approved their recommendation to change the rear O2 sensor. They installed a Bosch replacement. When the check engine light came back, rather than deal with them again, I asked around, VolvoDrummer recommended Rave, so I brought it to Rave.

I explained every thing that had happened up to that point, and asked them to double-check the previous mechanic's work.

They checked the harness, and it was fine. they told me that the front O2 sensor was the issue, and it being faulty was causing the codes to the rear.

They also told me that its best to change the O2 sensors in matching pairs, so I bought a new FRONT sensor from FCP and had them install it. Mind you, the recommended VOLVO OEM, but I was willing to roll the dice with a reputable brand like Bosch, since they invented the damn thing.

While swapping out the front sensor, they noticed that the catalyst inside the IPD cat was broken and rattling around. They recommended a new CAT, but since it was IPD, I would have to do the whole downpipe. I told them I would address that later.

I picked up the car, drove it to dinner, and when I left dinner, the light came back on.

So a few mornings later, I brought it back to them, and lo and behold, it was the same code I brought it in with. It had nothing to do with the front sensor. And yet, Dave insisted it did, since both O2 sensors were now Bosch, and Bosch apparently makes crap O2 sensors.

I told him that I was told that Bosch makes the OEM sensor for Volvo, and he insisted that Volvo makes their own. I decided it wasn't worth arguing. Ryan, meanwhile, suggested I go deal with the loose cat, since that could be causing the rear O2 to mis-read. Good idea, I'll go do that.

So I brought it to Lou's custom exhaust in Waltham to have them remove the cat and replace it with a straight pipe, and add an O2 sensor spacer. I figured if the problem was indeed the cat, this would get me by until I could order a new pipe from IPD. The guys at Lou's put it up on the lift, and 5 minutes later, the guy was handing me my keys, laughing.

"There's nothing wrong with your cat", he tells me. "The rear O2 sensor was loose. I tightened it up, and its fine."

So by now, I'm completely frustrated with Rave. The ONE thing I asked them to do- check the previous mechanic's work- they clearly didn't do.

So I drove it down to MB auto, and fortunately, Mike actually LISTENED to me, and the first thing out of his mouth is "you have the wrong O2 sensor. I've seen this before."

Apparently, the search engines that most online parts places use returns the wrong part number for the rear O2 sensor. Instead of Bosch 16488, it returns 16446. IPD is the only site I've seen so far that gets it right.

So, Mike loans me an O2 sensor, code clears, stays cleared, and I'm on my way. FCP sends me a replacement sensor, which I had the great guys at ReVolv put in for me, and now, I'm all set.

I wouldn't even be writing this except for my experience with Dave from Rave just now, on the phone.

I finally called to tell him what the problem was, and how they missed the wrong sensor. Had I not specifically asked him to check the previous shop's work, I wouldn't have a pot to piss in. But I did. And they didn't. Instead, they tried to sell me the more expensive OEM sensors. Dave spent the entire call blaming my choice of Bosch over VOlvo, and refused to accept that he missed some low hanging fruit, diagnostically.

I mentioned the loose O2 sensor, the cat not being broken, and the wrong part number, and his canned, repeated, disingenuous response was "I'm sorry you feel that way". No Dave, not feelings, FACTS. "I have no way of knowing that, since you didn't bring it back to me. For all I know, you could have put a drywall screw into your cat to secure it." I offered to send him pictures, as well as the email from FCP apologizing for the part number mixup, and he blew it off, saying "It doesn't matter, I'm not refunding any money. I have no way of knowing what you're saying is true. You didn't bring it back to me to make it right."

And why would I? You had it twice, and couldn't fix it. How many times do I need to bring it to you before you get it right, especially when you are already primed to believe the problem is the BRAND of O2 sensor?

This is where it gets REALLY weird. "Have you ever seen HOUSE MD?" he asked. "It usually takes him a few times, he doesn't get it right the first time."

Oh, ok, so you're comparing yourself to a TV doctor? Riiiight...

At that point, he put me on hold, and then when he picked up, told me he doesn't want to talk to me anymore, I wasted enough of his time.

I wasted HIS time? What about MY time, and MY money? $148 in labor, plus $100+ for a front O2 that I probably didn't need? Plus the time away from work I spent driving back and forth to Salem?

Ironically, I was only asking for a partial refund, a mere $74. They charged me $148 to diagnose and replace the front sensor, when it was the rear all along. Since I have a new front sensor, I didn't think it fair to ask them to eat the whole cost, just the time they spent diagnosing, or rather, misdiagnosing the problem.

He again repeated his argument that it was SOLELY my fault for using aftermarket sensors. Had I replaced both sensors with Volvo OEM, it would have fixed the problem.

Yes, that is technically true. It is also technically true that, had I replaced the entire exhaust with a factory exhaust, the problem would also be fixed. Hell, if I traded the car in for a BMW, the problem would be fixed as well. But the point is not just to throw parts at a problem until it goes away. The challenge is to actually diagnose the problem. But for Dave, all this was because I was "being cheap" (his words) and didn't want to spend the money on Volvo OEM.

So essentially, Dave just wanted to be a parts changer.

And I told him as much (and by now, I was so annoyed that I told him he was being an arrogant douche. A lapse of character on my part, admittedly). He's very proud of his 30 years in the business. As such, I would expect him to know how to actually listen to the customer, and not blow him off because you think you know better. He countered that I don't tell my doctor what to prescribe me, but that's a false analogy. A better analogy would be this:

If I injured myself overseas, and out of desperation, had to be treated by a 3rd world doc, you bet your ASS I would go to a US doc upon my return and ask him to doublecheck the previous doc's work. And if he missed something the other doc did wrong, and I was then crippled, you bet your ass he would be guilty of malpractice.

Dave just doesn't want to take responsibility for the problem that he missed. Again, had he checked the rear O2, he might have discovered that a) it was loose and b) it wasn't the right Bosch part number.

Other things that happened to my car while it was there:

1) knee-height dent in my driver front fender, above the wheel. the kind of dent caused by someone leaning into the engine bay. Dave says I cant prove it was them. Dave obviously doesn't appreciate how I know every inch of my R.

2) missing vacuum hose clamps. As I was detailing my engine, I discovered that, of all the vacuum line clamps they disconnected to remove my airbox and snabb to get at the harness, they only put 2 back on. I was missing a few, and found a few jammed in and around the intake manifold.

3) My TCV was laying loose on top of the transmission. I had it previously mounted to the airbox.

4) the OEM airbox mounting "washers" were missing. the bolts were clamping down directly on the rubber grommets.

Of course, Dave insisted that he has no way of knowing who did all that, since I took it to Revolv after him. I told him that I fixed all that stuff myself while I was detailing my engine, and he told me "that's not my fault then."

I've been in a customer-facing role for 10 years, working for the MOST demanding people I can think of: Hedge Funds and Investment bankers. And if they came to me with as compelling of a case as I did with Dave, even if I was fairly confident that they were wrong, I would STILL credit some time to them, just to keep the business and make sure they came back. Especially if the amount they were asking was less than 10% of what they'd given me so far. But since Dave is incapable of that, now, you all get to read about him.

OK, rant over. Bottom line: Dave may be a great Volvo tech for people who drive regular Volvos and Camrys. His prices are reasonable and they are generally quick.

But IMHO, he doesn't know how to treat people who are passionate and anal about their caRs. Use him at your own risk.

#272 ·
Drive the hour to Oxford, MA, and use Nick at ReVolv instead.

Not only does he like to talk and exchange information about the cars, but he LISTENS to you, and has another very competent tech (Ben) working with him.

It helps that his shop is filled with Rs and R parts, and that he and Ben both own Rs. They GET it.

#274 ·
Thanks to Jason at FCP euro parts , even though I missed the weekend sale , he still honored it when I asked if they could , class act ! Excellent customer service ! And as much as I have looked no one but FCP gives lifetime warranty on ALL there parts . Except Volvo dealer shop, which charge you double up front cost in parts and labor .
Just ordered ball joints and tie rod ends , will never have to pay for another set again!!! Thanks again FCP and Jason
I also like ipd and viva and tasca , but sorry guys , lifetime warranty is a no brainer !!

#276 ·
+1

Jason's is a great guy to deal with. I had question on parts a while back prior to my order and he is very quick to respond and take the time to explain things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#275 ·
I'm sure most people here know about xemodex. I think I heard of them from browsing here. Anyway I sent my CEM to them for a software transfer to a remanufactured CEM for $500. Well one of the guys called me back to tell me that they could just rebuild it for $300 and it would fix all my issues. I knew no power was going to the BCM but I thought there was more problems with it. I already paid the $500 so they could have just did the transfer and I would have never known the difference. I appreciate it and would definitely recommend them.

#278 · (Edited)
Just wanna give a HUGE shout-out to Kristian @ Snabb Performance. Every time I email him he's quick to respond, answers any questions I may have and is always courteous and professional. Recently I purchased an Ultimate FMIC Kit for my S60 T5. Lots of parts in this kit so for those who don't have the "know-how" to make it work, Snabb provides step-by-step instructions with colored photos to make the Job easier. The products I received were very well made. The welding on the stainless tubes is superb and the silicon couplers/tubes were high quality. Overall I'm extremely pleased with Snabb and would HIGHLY recommend them to anyone interested in purchasing some upgrades. Thanks again Kristian!!

#279 ·
I’ve been meaning to say that FCP Euro is pretty awesome. I’ve found that they have great pricing, their customer service is really good, and they seem to ship to my area of the country consistently quickly. I’ve dealt with several of their sales people by email and phone and they are always quick to answer or to remedy an issue. Having a lifetime warranty on anything you buy at all is a big plus. I hope it includes tee shirts. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.