960 Water Leak
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Thread: 960 Water Leak

960 Water Leak

So I did the timing belt not too long ago ('96 960) with only a few minor irritations (trying to keep the belt taut around the gears just before you pop the tensioner), checked around the water pump (nice and dry) so I buttoned it up and now I see a puddle of antifreeze under the car the next morning.

I popped off the timing belt cover and looked around the water pump - looks pretty dry in there so I crawled under the car to see if I could spot anything. Saw some drips from one of the oil cooler hoses, but no obvious break or crack. Then I noticed a drip from just above the oil cooler. It's dripping from what looks like a 3" x 1/2" cover plate bolted into the block by two 9 mm bolts (just above the oil cooler and just below the aluminum cover plate for the crank gear - I can take a photo if needed). I have no idea what this cover plate is, and tighntening up the two bolts did nothing. Could there be coolant leak behing the water pump and finding it's way down to this coverplate and just running around it and then drip? I really DONT want to do a water pump if I don't have to so if anyone has any ideas I'll all ears.

yeah yeah, probalby should have done the pump while I was in there but it looked so good!

Thanks
      2007 S60RGT Titanium Grey Metallic / Gobi / 17" Pegs
      1989 780 B230FT / Maroon / Tan
      1973 1800 ES / Lt Blue Metallic / Black

Check under the water pump for a weep hole (there may be one on top too). I had a similar issue with my Suburban. There was nothing coming from the top weep hole, but after some messing around I found that there also was a bottom weep hole and that's where the leak was.
      '88 244 auto (parts car), '89 244 5 spd. (daily driver), '92 245 5 spd. (my car) '80 Holiday Rambler/Ford E350 (tow vehicle and track crash pad), '95 GMC K2500 (local hauler/back-up tow vehicle), '83 Mazda RX7 (race car when I have the funds), '99 Miska 20' car hauler.

The man's prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, ... if I have to, ... I guess."