Ember Black Paint - Swirl marks in clear coat?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more than 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Ember Black Paint - Swirl marks in clear coat?

I purchased my S60 about a month ago... sometimes when we are in the sunlight looking at the car from an angle, you can see tons of very fine scratch-like swirls all over the car. They appear to create a haze in the clear coat. Is this normal for darker vehicles? Is there a way to remove them?

I have been pretty anal about cleaning my car and am fairly certain that I did not create these marks. Maybe the dealer did this prior to me getting the car?
      2012 Ember Black S60 T6 with Polestar+, Sport Exhaust, R-Design Rear Diffuser

What sort of towels were used to dry after a wash? Certain towels can cause more visible swirls than others. I have been using microfiber towels on my Nautic Blue XC with good results.

The Ember Black paint on our T6 has a haze look down the side visible in certain light. After a polish, I expect our 'haze' to go away. Darker colors do show paint issues more easily than say white or silver.
      chris@swedespeed.com
      2015.5 V60 R-Design | Rebel Blue | Platinum | Climate | 19" IXIONs | BLIS
      2012 XC90 R-Design | NAV | RSE | 20" Cratus | Curt hitch

I use microfiber as well but no telling what the dealer used prior to me buying the car. The Haze is more of my concern... interesting that you have it as well. I was afraid that a wax would lock the haze in... Speaking of wax, how soon after purchase is it safe to wax? Any recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek27 View Post
      I was afraid that a wax would lock the haze in... Speaking of wax, how soon after purchase is it safe to wax? Any recommendations?
      Six months???? Not sure.

Have you owned a black car before? Even a microfiber towel will leave fine marks if there is even a hint of dust or dirt on the surface. It's tough to get black to look perfect.
      2001 V70 XC, Black/Beige, 48,000 miles, Wifes wheels
      2000 S70 ASR N/A Silver/Graphite, 194,000 miles, Daughters wheels, Rear spoiler, Xemodex
      2000 V70R, Emerald(Olive) Green/Graphite, 120,000 miles, Sons wheels, Father and son project car, 2002 2.4T, 19T, Greens, Delco TCV, Snaab intake pipe, VDO boost gauge
      My wheels: Changes almost daily but usually a Volvo of some sort

Nope, first black car, hence the question... it just looked like the haze is something that could be removed so I thought I'd ask other owners.

As stated above swirl marks are very common on all paint colors but more visible on darker colors. It took a lot of work to keep my former Saville Gray T6 looking perfect.

I washed my car weekly (by hand) and dried using a combination of microfiber towels and extremely high quality chamois clothes. I'm more anal than most, and used multiple buckets, multiple wash gloves, and continuously rinsed the vehicle. I would use one glove per panel in most cases, rinsing it in two buckets before reapplying to another surface. Every month or so I would use various products, including Maguire's (my preferred brand) compound polish, to take care of any imperfections that I noticed in the paint.

Unfortunately in my situation my dealer destroyed my car's finish before I ever had a chance to baby it. While the paint was mostly corrected it was never again factory perfect but my methods still kept it looking good. You could never see any swirls on my car.
      2013 Tesla Model S P85+ - Grey/Black
      2011 BMW M3 Coupe - Alpine White/Black Novillo Leather

I also only hand wash my car (it's good exercise, too) and I always ask the dealer to not wash the car when it is
      in for service. I'll even stick a note on the dash about this, just in case.
      2011 S60 T6, Flamenco Red / Biege, Polestar Tune, JBL MS-8 DSP and sub-woofer;
      2006 XC90 Ocean Race 'Big Blue'; 1998 V70 T5 w 71K miles.
      Previous (sold): 95 855 GLT; 98 S70 T5M; 2000 S40.

Quote Originally Posted by krn View Post
      I also only hand wash my car (it's good exercise, too) and I always ask the dealer to not wash the car when it is
      in for service.
      I rarely wash my car, but when I do, hand wash only, by moi!

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek27 View Post
      I have been pretty anal about cleaning my car and am fairly certain that I did not create these marks. Maybe the dealer did this prior to me getting the car?
      No matter how careful you may be.......a black car will show swirls. End of story.
      2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow/Black Alcantara
      2004 S60R 6MT - Passion Red/Nordkap (sold)
      2009 RAV4 Sport V6 - Classic Silver/Charcoal

UPDATE: went to a detailer and had the car buffed and then waxed with Zaino. It looks and feels so much better. Swirl marks are mostly gone but there is still a little haze on the side of the car. I'm definitely glad I got it done as the car looks very shiny now.

The detailer told me that black cars are high maintenance to keep looking good. He said that waxing every 3-6 months is the key.

I also have Ember black and it's a pain to get it looking nice.
      I usually wash it every 2 weeks and wax it maybe every 2 months...