Why did you buy a Volvo?
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why did you buy a Volvo?

Simple. Why did you decide to buy a Volvo, over all the other options?

I chose Volvo for the safety, multitude of offers, and performance. I really feel at home driving heavy cars. I also like the fact that the Volvo S60T5 felt like it drove better than the BMW 528i. Felt way better than the corolla. :P

Quote Originally Posted by ksimp88 View Post

I chose Volvo for the safety, multitude of offers, and performance. I really feel at home driving heavy cars. I also like the fact that the Volvo S60T5 felt like it drove better than the BMW 528i. Felt way better than the corolla. :P
      Looks, safety, long term reliability, dealership close to my home, trip to Sweden/European vacation.......
      2012 S60 T5 (OSD 4-2012) Ember/Offblack l Premium,Multimedia,Climate,Dynamic l BLIS/PCC/ABL/F&R Park Assist/Sport Pedals/Chrome Endpipes

2004 Nissan Armada

Because the car I really wanted was not available to test drive. So I left and went the dealer next door, which was Volvo, and the car looked good, drove well, and had the most comfortable seats I'd ever tested. Eight years later, they are still the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in.
      iPD tune / Bilstein HD / iPD 25mm sways / Heico dual exhaust / sport body kit / Heico Volutions / HID Projectors / VST strut brace / CFE / Anodized gauges /etc.

Saw the new (at the time) second Gen S40 at the Seattle International Car Show and loved the design and the uniqueness of the car. That along with Volvo's legendary safety status lead me to buy one the following year. And haven't looked back since.
      2005 S60R Ti Grey/Gobi/6M/18"Black Pegs
      1997 854R Black/Charcoal/Really Dark Bronze Volans/5M/ARD M4.4 BLUE/Daily Driver
      2005 S40 T5 FWD="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2938966" SOLD/MISSED

It was one of the very few true wagon options left in the US. I wanted a safe, nice, comfortable new wagon, and the MB E350 Estate was well out of my price range.
      Please send me $10 for this.

I bought mine primarily on value (CPO S80), quality and rarity. I like the fact that I don't see many of them.

In terms of buying used like I did my 97 854R.

Great reliability and loads of power (for a mid 90's luxobox)
      Safe
      Love the seats
      Easy to work on and modify
      Great Lines
      Rarity
      Part Availabilty
      Great assets (SS, VS and the like)

And most of all...THE SOUND!!! Those 5 cyls make a call that hits one's inner Norse God.
      97 854 R Sold and Missed
      2013 Honda Accord EX-L V6 4DR white/tan : 278hp and 36 mpg His Volvo replacement
      2003 Honda Civic EX 2DR red/black : Hers

After 15 Years of life in an SUV...wanted something faster, better handling and better fuel economy with similar cargo capacity.

Decided a wagon would fit well, but the only viable options at the time were the V70 and Dodge Magnum.
      After driving both...there was no contest.

Not to mention an air vent in the Magnum fell apart in my hand while trying to adjust.
      2007 V70R GT, Black Sapphire, Nordkap, Nav, Sub Woofer & Bluetooth, Track Spec Sways, EBD & Resonator Delete, Four-C-Mod, Machined Pegs Photo
      2001 V70 T5 GT (Traded for the 'R')
      2011 F-150, Twin Turbo

Needed an AWD wagon in 98
      I was getting really tired of SUVs

Not much of a choice back then; Subarus, Lexus, RX 300, and Volvos
      Dealer is only ONE MILE from my house
      That got me started
      Email: jrl1194(at)aol.com
      If the subject is car purchase related please use jrl1194(at)gmail.com
      2006 XC70 White/Black 60K miles, new daily driver
      2000 V70R wife's. Won't sell, now 122K miles and still perfect
      1994 Lincoln Continental. In concours condition with low miles.

Remember seeing the 1800ES in a showroom when I was younger and thought it was the most beautiful cars I had ever seen. Then one day I saw one for sale in Auto Trader the rest is history. Never thought I'd ever own one.

Liked the Swedish brands - different, safe, could be fun. Bought a Saab - biggest POS car I ever had. Traded it on a Volvo. 25 years later, still driving them. Everytime I think of getting something else, I see someone t-boned or wrapped around a tree. Other cars may now be as safe, but I don't feel like testing that theory with my kids now driving.

I had a 350Z. Wanted something that was cheaper to insure, as quick in the wet, was more comfortable, had a back seat and was unique. Z's are everywhere. The R was a perfect fit.

I wish I had gone for the V70R instead but I am pleased with my decision. We fit a bed frame from Ikea in the trunk! Granted, we had to take it out of the box. But still!

I'm probably going to swap by the end of the year, though. I might get back into a 350Z or I might go for a V70R. If I don't get either of those, it'll be an NA 1.8 Miata with an FM kit or a Mazdaspeed Miata.
      Spread Eagle Beagle

Quote Originally Posted by mdtac350 View Post
      I had a 350Z. Wanted something that was cheaper to insure, as quick in the wet, was more comfortable, had a back seat and was unique. Z's are everywhere. The R was a perfect fit.

I wish I had gone for the V70R instead but I am pleased with my decision. We fit a bed frame from Ikea in the trunk! Granted, we had to take it out of the box. But still!

I'm probably going to swap by the end of the year, though. I might get back into a 350Z or I might go for a V70R. If I don't get either of those, it'll be an NA 1.8 Miata with an FM kit or a Mazdaspeed Miata.
      I'd get a V70R and tune the snot out of it.

I think if I had to pin point the initial factor that first and above all others brought me to Volvo, it would be comfort. And the fact that it's sort of unusual to be a fan of Volvo (and was much more so in the early nineties, when got interested in Volvo). It's considered normal and "alright" to be a fan of BMW or Ferrari or whatever, so the "off the beaten track" aspect played a big role too (and still does - I find it so boring to be a fan of the same cars as everyone else).
      Last edited by Alex960; 02-08-2012 at 04:29 AM.
      1999 Volvo C70 T5

I was in high school when the T5R came out. I promised myself I would have one some day. I got a V70 2.5T and tuned the snot out of it.
      04 V70 2.5T AWD - AUTOTECH | SNABB | OBX | MAGNAFLOW | SNABB | BILSTEIN | EIBACH

Had a 350Z and a Subaru wagon, wanted something faster to replace the wagon. Like the V70R for the comfy seats/stealth speed/and the space. Bought it and kept the Subaru wagon as a beater for snowy/messy days. Also kept the 350Z for summer twisty fun.

I bought a Volvo because my options were kinda limited. My S10 had blown the clutch. And my Caprice was too big and slow to drive in regular traffic.

I got my car from an auction for junkyards. My other choices fell through. A police spec Crown Vic was my other choice. There was a 2001 Audi A4 Avant with the manual and S-line wheels. But it was a repo car and the previous owner took the valve cover off and took a prybar to the cams. So the S60 I definitely lucked out on. $1700 later and some body work and here I am.
      2002 Volvo S60 AWD (Gone)
      1985/1 Porsche 944
      1986 Nissan 300ZX N/A
      1999 Chevrolet S10
      2004 Saturn Vue Redline AWD

I bought the 96 854t5 in 98 because my 87 764t4 had been hit by too many idiots. Thus, I was already a member of the cult.

As others have said,

The seats are just outstanding.
      The motor, OMG.
      Great handling with minor tweeks.
      Very comfortable ride.
      Did I mention the motor?

The fact that I am still driving it and not at all in a hurry to replace it I think speaks volumes about the car.

I have felt for years that having caught the Detroit illness of changing the model and styling every couple of years was a major mistake. Volvo deliberately kept the 240 looking very similar through its life to make it appear that there were more of them on the road.

Global Moderator
      ...Why did you decide to buy a Volvo...
      Once I finally made it through OCS (1968 - two tries, 44 months - giahugic car accident) I was pressured by my first (ex) wife to buy a second car (used) as she was tired of walking to the commissary (only 6 miles - big deal).

Two cars were considered - the '60 Fiat roadster leaked oil all over her driveway but the '62 Volvo 122S 4-door sedan did not.

25(?) more used Volvos later I drive a Subaru and she a Mercedes.

George Dill

P
      I recently purchased a '91 240 to replace my ailing '86 240. I wanted to stick with Volvo - in particular the 240 - for four reasons: 1. safety 2. sentimentality 3. my father* 4. price**

* My father is a now-retired Volvo mechanic. It's nice to share a project with him. See also #2.
      ** Price of a used 240 vs a new anything. Though I wouldn't turn my nose up at a late model turbo wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by ANH View Post
      It's nice to share a project with him..
      Dads ar great...

In 2002 I was looking for a car that was easy to work on, I could put a lot of miles on and was comfortable. When I visited a few indie Volvo shops to ask them about how many miles i can expect to get out of a 240, they all said the same thing, +500,000. I ended up with a 745. The car was soooo comfortable, good on gas (comparatively speaking) and didn't mind the twisties. We've owned Volvo's ever since, I always do my homework when purchasing a car and Volvo always seems to hit the right marks.

Comfortable, stylish, easy to work on, handles well, good availability of parts/info, powerful and safe. What more could I ask. Now that they have these beautiful new additions (s60, xc60, soon to be v40 and xc90), and the best warranty on the market, I can't wait to get a new one! We have about three more years with the two we have and my wife and I are enjoying every minute. They are dependable indispensable parts of our family.
      05 S40 T5 fwd
      Elevate IC, intake pipe, silicone hoses, CBT, TCV, tune & torque mount
      Spec SMF, Snabb shorth throw shifter & s60r clutch
      Viva cross drilled/slotted rotors, EST DP & cat back
      I definitely need some sticky summer tires. To be continued.....

Did I mention the turbos? Yeah, Volvo likes their turbos and so do I.
      05 S40 T5 fwd
      Elevate IC, intake pipe, silicone hoses, CBT, TCV, tune & torque mount
      Spec SMF, Snabb shorth throw shifter & s60r clutch
      Viva cross drilled/slotted rotors, EST DP & cat back
      I definitely need some sticky summer tires. To be continued.....

I got my coupe because I needed a good first car for a 16 year old. I wanted something nice, fairly quick, unique, and comfortable. Parents wanted something safe. It met both out requirements well. So that's why I bought it. I've KEPT it for 5 years because it's easily one of the best, most classy looking cars on the road, even 15 years after the design came out. It's incredibly comfortable, high quality, well designed interior, fast, and handles well. There are other coupes of the same age that do certain things well. An BMW E46 handles better, a Merc CLK is nicer on the inside, a Lexus SC is more comfortable. But NOTHING combines all those qualities as well as the C70.

I've learned most everything I know about cars on it, I love it to death. And even though I hate it with a passion sometimes haha, I wouldn't trade it for anything and it'll always be with me!

I think the XC70 is the best blend of safety, luxury, comfort, practicality and all-weather performance on the market. I like it's rugged and adventurous brand image. The 8.3" of ground clearance to get you down fire roads and light trails is nice for those that live in the mountains. And I think it's a damn good looking European wagon. The Scandinavian design and interior ergonomics tops it all off for me. Volvo's best product IMHO.

In '98 it was because I needed something to haul stuff around in for my expanding family. I liked the look and feel of the Mystic Silver V70 GLT with black leather interior that I drove, so I bought it. It was a reliable car and I found a great resource in a trustworthy, competent, local independent Volvo mechanic. It was him who recommended I try out an "R" back in '05 when I was looking for a new ride. The R looked great and I thought it was a very good value for the features and performance it had. No regrets, I love the R, but I'm wondering what might make it onto my next potential "new car" list.
      '05 Ti-Kap GT SR; MTE tune; Bell FMIC; TME DP, exhaust, & springs; IPD CAI; IPD HD coils; IPD TCV; AEM H20/MeOH kit w/ flow gauge; Viva CBV & strut bar conversion; SNABB inlet pipe; TD Pro Race 1.2 35ET 18x8's; 235/40 GY Eagle F1 Asym 2; Adam's Rotors w/Hawk HPS pads; IPD camber kit; IPD Track-spec sways; Elevate hood grilles; CF Werks spoiler; Prosport boost gauge w/ vent pod; LED DRL's; PIAA fogs; EST LED bulbs. CaR photo

I bought the 850 because it had the booster seat in the back seat and my 2 year old niece was coming to visit (and my Geo Spectrum threw a rod on the freeway . I bought the 960 because I fell in love with Volvo after the 850. I bought my S60R mostly because I was mesmerized by the shiny blue dials. I sat in the car because it was the most beautiful red car I'd ever seen. I was at the dealership because it was my birthday. I am more in love with my beautiful red car every day, and wouldn't sell it for triple the Blue Book value.

I am into Newfoundland dogs, a giant, over 100 pound dog. I need a car to haul the dog, since it goes most everywhere with me. A SUV is really out of the question as these dogs get older and arthritic. Try lifting a 130+ pound dog into a XC90 because it can't get in by itself. Therefore, I am into midsize wagons.

Volvo and MB are really the only 2 car companies that bring cars into the US any more that meet my precise specifications.
      2009 XC 70 T6. Electric Silver / Anthracite. Premium and Climate.

I needed something with a little cargo room for family vacations but I enjoy driving some didn't want to be thrown by the weight of an SUV so, that led me to wagons...

Looked at Saab, Audi, acura and Volvo.... Volvo had the complete package and I was able to get an a plan discount.

Jason
      2011 V50 R-Design in Silver Metallic: Climate Package; Multi-Media Package; Off Black Full Leather Interior; Venture Shield Clear Bra;18% Tint All Around; Enkei SC05 18"; Hankook Ventus V12 225/40ZR -18 (Summer)

To experience something different- I had already driven the Germans- BMW, Audi, and a fully loaded Accord, and didn't like anything the Americans were offering. I wanted to try something new. I never had any experience with a Volvo and I liked the S40 design. It was also cheaper than a C-class and 3-series with matching equipment levels.

I loved my parents' '97 850 GLT and fell in love with the 850 T5r/R when I was a kid.

I also wanted a car with AWD to replace my TT since my wife and I had our first child on the way. The closest competitors at the time were the 330xi and the S4. The Bimmers were too common and I loved the S4 but there was something very comelling about the S60R. In the end its relative rarity and character won me over. After 7 years of ownership, I still look back when I walk away from it in a parking lot. To me, that says a lot.

-Eric

Wife wanted a convertable so I scoured the market. Soft tops were pretty much immediatly off the table. The A4 and 93 both look horrid with the tops up. The SC back seat is useless and car is overpriced. The CLK is overpriced and I pretty much refuse to ever own any 3 series and a 6 series was well beyond what I wanted wanted to spend. That left the C70. Test drove one and HATED the red interior but loved the cars handing, just wish it had more power. I also like cars that you dont see 35 of them on the way to the grocery store and the C70s are far less common around here than the others listed. Found a metallic black (which I hated once it was under lights at night) with the white interior. The safety factor also played a part.

Well the C70 was lemoned (story in new guy thread) and I ended up in the XC60R. I like it. Its not very common here where I couldnt swing a dead cat without hitting a 90 and has pretty good power. Could use more interior storage space and the radio/nav design is horrible but with a new baby on the way the safety factor kept me in a Volvo.

Safety, reliability compared to Audi and BMW, and personality.

Had 7 different cars in 6 years but I finally wanted AWD, speed, mpg, and safety. Looked for months on end to decide what was best. narrowed it down to the 07 Lincoln MKZ AWD and 05 or newer S40 T5 AWD. Drove them both and loved them both. My GF loved the MKZ but I thought it seemed big to me and was a few dollars more and I liked the size of the s40. Left that day witht the S40 from Solid Cars in Denver. Sent him a check for the rest a few weeks later and couldn't be happier. There was an s60 R there however that I would have bought had I had the money. Now I want the 2012 R....maybe in the fall.
      OLD: 05 S40 T5 AWD AW55 Black 130,000 miles Blown head gasket and TQ converter, "Elevate Intake", Magnaflow muffler, 100 cpi race cat, ipd coils, 18in pegs, VIVA CBV, Thule rack, swedespeed sticker, LED running/license plate lights and halo rings up front, front strut tower brace, MS3 rear sway bar, DRT Sport rotors and pads, Eibach lowering springs, Snabb TCV, Phuzzy Intercooler. NOW:2014 Ford Focus ST3 in Tangerine Scream

I was looking into an 08-09 lancer and they were about $14K+ in my area for the basic package. I was at a dealer and he had an S40 on the lot. I checked it out and really liked it! I spent the next few days looking around at S40's and for the price of the one I found, you just couldn't beat the deal! IMO, I like the quality of the S40 a lot more than the Lancer. The lancer looks really plain on the inside.
      Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you take that wall with you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast