Questions about a 93 940 Turbo Wagon
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

I am considering purchasing a 93 940 turbo wagon that has just about every option i think. It appears to be super clean. It has 150K miles, leather and interior appear to be in great shape. It has the 3rd seat, and seller claims no rust, and no leaks. It is at used car dealership and they are firm on asking $4k. I have had a 240 for 10+ years and it has never done me wrong. I am less familiar with 940s but have heard that they are everything the 240 is in terms of b230 but more refined in terms of style and amenities. 4K seems a little high to me but again I am less familiar with 940s. So, I have a few questions...

Does this price seem too far off from what it is should be priced at, assuming the seller is being honest about everything?

How do the 93 turbos compare to the 94 and 95s? Was there much of a change?

Also, what is the likelihood I could cram 3 children's seats in the back (I realize some child seats/boosters are bulkier than others)? Do all 940s have the built in booster seat in the middle?

What are the main things I should check before I would make a purchase?

Thank you,

Justin

Global Moderator
      Quote Originally Posted by j.f.kline View Post
      I am considering purchasing a 93 940 turbo wagon that has just about every option i think. It appears to be super clean. It has 150K miles, leather and interior appear to be in great shape. It has the 3rd seat, and seller claims no rust, and no leaks. It is at used car dealership and they are firm on asking $4k. I have had a 240 for 10+ years and it has never done me wrong. I am less familiar with 940s but have heard that they are everything the 240 is in terms of b230 but more refined in terms of style and amenities. 4K seems a little high to me but again I am less familiar with 940s. So, I have a few questions...

Does this price seem too far off from what it is should be priced at, assuming the seller is being honest about everything?

How do the 93 turbos compare to the 94 and 95s? Was there much of a change?

Also, what is the likelihood I could cram 3 children's seats in the back (I realize some child seats/boosters are bulkier than others)? Do all 940s have the built in booster seat in the middle?

What are the main things I should check before I would make a purchase?

Thank you,

Justin
      The price is indeed high for a car aged 19 but if the used car dealer won't budge we can find a better deal - where are you?

George Dill

Quote Originally Posted by gdill2 View Post
      The price is indeed high for a car aged 19 but if the used car dealer won't budge we can find a better deal - where are you?

George Dill
      George,

Thank you for getting back to me. You are the same person who helped me with tail light questions on my 240 a couple of years ago.

I live in Owensboro, KY 42301. I have been very partial to 240's. Again that is what I have driven for the last 10 years and really, that has been my only car. My wife and I have 2 children with a 3rd on the way. I have been looking for a 93 240 wagon with a 3rd seat (gotta have the 3rd seat ) and correct me if I am wrong, but the 940 may be slightly safer and perhaps an inch or two more room width wise in the back seat? Assuming this to be the case, I may be more interested in a 940 turbo wagon with about 150,000 miles or less, no earlier than 93 model. I know what I am looking for is a little particular, which is why I am really interested in the one that is for 4K because it seem to have about everything I want. It is even has the hydra wheels. The fact that it is within a few hundred miles from me is appealing. It seems like most of the good ones are either in the North East, California, Florida, or Schaumburg. Quite a ways away from me.

Global Moderator
      Post the link where you found the 93 940 turbo wagon (or the phone/email) and I'll chase the seller (...It is at used car dealership and they are firm on asking $4k...") for any positive/negative on the www.

Yes, the 945T is bigger than the 245 and has no reliability issues unless the turbo is cooked.

I'm not a big fan of kids in the third seat in any car but the 945 has good rear-crash numbers - better than some modern cars.

Based on the ages of your two children both belted in the third seat seems ok especially with a wireless video built into the tailgate, your MIL behind your wife, the newborn next to the MIL and you doing your best to stay out of the turbo boost.

George Dill
      Last edited by gdill2; 02-10-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Just sent you a private message. Love the comments about the MIL and the kids and the wireless vid!! :-)

I hear you on the 3rd seat. My thought is that, if the 2nd row is big enough, I would like to put in 3 small children seats (my 240 really only allows for 2), which is where my kids would normally go and the 3rd row could be used more for older kids who I shuttle around a the neighborhood from time to time since they wouldn't fit in the kids' seats.

Justin

Global Moderator
      940 turbo wagons for sale and ready-to-drive are getting not easy to find.

This one is a long way from KY.

George Dill

From: http://boston.ebayclassifieds.com/ca...n/?ad=16887836
      --------------------------------------------------
      Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon - $2,200 (Walpole)
      Price:$2,200
      Address:Walpole, MA 02081 (map) Date Posted:02/09/12
      Year:1994
      Make:Volvo
      VIN:YV1JW8618R1100480
      Model:940 Turbo
      Mileage:206,900
      For Sale By:OwnerDescription Clean, tons of room as the rear seats can fold down flat, well maintained with new parts over the years.
      4 cylinder engine with Turbo and intercooler. Powerful engine.
      Black with gray leather interior. Non-smoker car. Non-pet car as well. Tons of repairs and routine maintenance. Original Dealer Window sticker; $30K when new. Child built in seat in middle seat. Tires, suspension, and exhaust are all very good. The rear hatch has a slight dent, that is hardly noticable. The lock needs lube or adjustment. Nothing is bent that I can tell. The interior fan operates on high only. The radio needs the code to work.
      Replies must include your phone and detailed questions more than 'is it still avail'? Also must include a day/time that you wish to view. Otherwise, no response to emails.
      Extra set of 4 snow tires, mounted on steel rims included if desired.

More photos at the following link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1065144...25775825613794

thanks, 617 756 2953

Some of the maintenance history:

150K Wires, plugs, rotor, alignment
      173K Timing belt replaced, harmonic balancer, crankshaft pulley
      181K transmission rebuilt (or a ton of work done to the tranny for $1200)
      186K A/C charged R134A Freon
      193K Crankshaft Timing belt replaced and tensioner, and belts replaced
      198K Distributor, rotor, cap
      199K Fuel pump relay
      203K Ignition wires, distributor cap, Ignition power Stage (ABD)
      204K Wiper motor (new OEM)
      Presently 206K miles. New Manifold exhaust gasket and spark plugs installed 2/3.
      Ad ID: 16887836
      --------------------------------------------------

True. And that is what I often find that they are a good distance away, but that doesn't necessarily preclude me. It kind of all
      depends to me on how nice it is...this is definitely one of the nicer I have seen in a while. However i would say it has a little more mileage and wear than I would be comfortable with. Still not a bad find.
      Thank you.