Looking at buying a 2005 S40 T5
Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to SwedeSpeed
    You're currently browsing Swedespeed as a guest. Please sign up or sign in and take part in the conversation with other Volvo owners and enthusiasts. With more 2 million posts our community is one of the most active groups of Volvo owners in the world. Take a moment to sign up and enjoy all of the features our forums have to offer.

Looking at buying a 2005 S40 T5

Hi All,

I have recently sold my VW and am looking at purchasing a 2005 S40 T5, 6 speed with AWD. The car has 120,000kms on it.

I did a little research and other than the obvious, can you guys tell me any known issues to look for with these cars.

Cheers,
      Mike

Haha! another VW ---> Volvo, my girlfriend went from and R32 to have a volvo =). Welp, with these years you want to look at mainly the PCV, top engine mount, and electrical issues. For example, do not buy a car that has a clock reading --:-- most likely had the ECM reset. You will notice weird things like the sunroof leaks (if you have one), the passenger air bag "off" goes one a lot even though somebody is sitting there.

Just look at the "How-to's" on the sticky, it will tell you a lot about the problems you can expect.
      BLACK 13' HYUNDAI GENESIS 2.0T - CURRENT 05' S40T5A BLACK BLISTEN/ EIBACH/ OBX/ ELEVATE/ K&N/ EST/ BSR SOLD- 98' S70T5A STOCK BLUE "A luxury car should drive itself"

PEM, TCV, MAP sensor. If you get the sunroof the drains can be a pain and there is a post on here to alter them so they dont leak inside. The vacuum boost for the brakes has a tendancy to go out. Fuel Pressure sensor is very common just check the posts on here to see if yours is in the "bad batch". IDK about the manuals but the Autos need the ATF fluid changed every 30k Miles or they shift like crap. Finally, the pcv is common. Loud whistling will point to this. Undo the oil cap and see if it goes away. There are also some recalls on fuel lines and rad lines I think so enter the VIN on volvo and see what comes up.

These are all the things Ive had to replace on my T5 auto AWD by 80k Miles. Its a pain but worth every penny.

Also if you do spark plugs make sure they are the right ones. Ours take the longer version and alway always gap them yourself. Mine from the volvo dealer were even way out. took a month before I thought about it and had to go back in and gap them.

Quote Originally Posted by mkd28 View Post
      IDK about the manuals but the Autos need the ATF fluid changed every 30k Miles or they shift like crap.
      ATF changed every 30K? Never heard that. My '05 V50 auto with 83K is still on original ATF and is doing just fine...

Quote Originally Posted by d3box1 View Post
      . For example, do not buy a car that has a clock reading --:-- most likely had the ECM reset. .
      This happens every time you change the battery. Hardly a sign of something fishy... Further more if you get the car I recommend doing this anyway so the car behaves as new (without the learned behavior of the last driver).
      T5 S40 Greg (05) > 1. 2. 3. | Kenwood interface |Viva 3"DP |EST exhaust |RICA stage 2+ |EST trust brace |Elevate sway bar |Bell black FMIC |Elevate intake pipe |IPD TCV |H&R 1.4 down |TKI front end-links |Elevate tran mount |BERN 18x8 on Michelin pilot super sp 225x40 |Bilstein 8 SP struts and shocks |Powerslot rotors |StopTech 309 pads |Custom Boost gauge |Lettering relocation head+rear lights cut vinyl |

As a recent purchaser of a 2005 S40 T5 AWD in September w/ 76,000 miles on it, I can let you know what I've done in the 4,000 miles since then...
      Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor went pretty quickly; I picked up the part at Volvo and replaced it myself.... Used one of the posts on this forum with great pictures to help me.
      Turbo Control Valve went a month later... drove with it for a while but the car felt like a turtle. Volvo replaced that for me. Not cheap.
      The kicker was when the alternator went a month ago around 80,000 miles. Seems early, but I figured I'd have to replace it sometime in my ownership of the car. At least I know I won't have to do it in the future.
      Full synthetic oil change + premium filter = $100 at Valvoline. Manual says change it every 7,500 miles.
      Also the CD players from those years hate modern CD's... mine had one stuck in it at purchase that wouldn't come out. Was going to replace it but it started functioning again after battery was disconnected for alternator replacement.

For all these maintenance items, I still spent less on the car purchase + repairs than was the book value! Don't regret it at all and love driving it every day. From what I've heard, the things that go wrong on these cars are mostly sensor-type things. Mechanically they are fairly reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Veefifty T5AWD View Post
      ATF changed every 30K? Never heard that. My '05 V50 auto with 83K is still on original ATF and is doing just fine...
      I have read that a couple of times on SS. It could be wrong. I know Volvo says its lifetime ATF. Mine lasted 75K miles. Just something to keep in mind I guess if you experience bad shifts

I really don't think there are any major problems inherent to any of the S40s. Most of the items mentioned above are normal wear items and their replacement or servicing should be expected. Keep an eye out for accident damage and/or shoddy work, a bad mechanic can cost you more than a good mechanic in the long run. Good luck, AWD......nice.
      05 S40 T5 fwd
      Elevate IC, intake pipe, silicone hoses, CBT, TCV, tune & torque mount
      Spec SMF, Snabb shorth throw shifter & s60r clutch
      Viva cross drilled/slotted rotors, EST DP & cat back
      I definitely need some sticky summer tires. To be continued.....

Thanks for the info.

It turned out that someone else beat me to buy the car I was looking at. I'm a little over the map here, but have driven an S60 and V70, but with AWD, auto trannys and about 95,000kms. Are the Volvo autos made of glass like the VWs or would I still conceivably be getting a decent car?

My old car is somewhere in PA right now.

I haven't heard any problems with the transmissions in the five cylinder Volvos. The only trans issues that I'm aware of is with the 2.9 tt six that's in the older XC90 and possibly S80.
      05 S40 T5 fwd
      Elevate IC, intake pipe, silicone hoses, CBT, TCV, tune & torque mount
      Spec SMF, Snabb shorth throw shifter & s60r clutch
      Viva cross drilled/slotted rotors, EST DP & cat back
      I definitely need some sticky summer tires. To be continued.....

What about the AWD system?